Send Topic Print
Converting to chain (Read 28 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Converting to chain
08/06/04 at 09:48:43

you guys seem to a bit more technically oriented than the yahoo savage list i have been on.
therefore, onward to the technicalities: i really like the look of chain driven bikes. i can't afford to buy another bike, being a single mom and all that. so i was wondering about whether it was possible to convert from belt drive to chain drive.
and yeah, i was thinking about adding a kick starter too.

seriously thinking chopperish thoughts...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
wrench

Re: Converting to chain
Reply #1 - 08/06/04 at 10:19:13

> ... was wondering about whether it was possible
> to convert.. .. to chain drive... kick starter...

It could be done, the domestic Suzuki Tempter* version of the LS650 had chain.  You would need to find a source of parts in Japan.  The project would not be easy and certainly not inexpensive.

Regarding a kickstarter, I assume you have never tried to kickstart a big single?  Forget about it.

*http://www.srbikers.com/gordon.html

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 08/06/04 at 10:31:35

Does anybody know if the pullys are the same as the sporty. When I was finding out that renthal don't do 1" bars i found they do a chain drive conversion for the 883. front 16-23 rear 36-63. Dont know if it fits though ???

Clive W

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/04 at 10:37:09

Why anyone would want to go from Belt to Chain is beyond me. Even if its for "looks"...

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 08/06/04 at 10:37:13

Also I heard someware, can't remember, LS400's, jap only i think have a chain drive. ???

Clive W

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 08/06/04 at 10:39:32

There is the option of changing the gearing.

Clive W

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/06/04 at 12:49:17

CHAIN DRIVE ARE DIRTY GREZZY NEED ADJUSTING .NEW SPROCKETS .YER WHY WOULD YOU . TRYING TO KICK OVER A 650 SINGLE WITH A 94 mm BORE AND STROKE ON A COLD MORNING SOUND LIKE FUN. I WAS BROUGHT UP ON KICK STARTERS POMY JAP AND YANK BIKES  Roll EyesAND ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK GOD FOR ELECTRIC STARTERS

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 08/06/04 at 13:01:10

If I had an LS I'd be looking at higher gearing to make for a more relaxed ride.

Clive W

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 08/06/04 at 13:07:29

There's good and bad with kick starting,pain when it doesn't work and pride when it does 8)

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 08/07/04 at 03:23:01

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
you guys seem to a bit more technically oriented than the yahoo savage list i have been on.
therefore, onward to the technicalities: i really like the look of chain driven bikes. i can't afford to buy another bike, being a single mom and all that. so i was wondering about whether it was possible to convert from belt drive to chain drive.
and yeah, i was thinking about adding a kick starter too.

seriously thinking chopperish thoughts...

Oh yeah, I've been to that other forum too....

I've read all the other replies on this topic.  I know where everyone is coming from on this one, but I don't know where it can go  Roll Eyes  I'll give it a shot anyway.

Chain drive?  I understand that it is possible to get a front sprocket to fit the engine off the shelf, but to convert the rear wheel will either take a different wheel or the resources of a machine shop.  There isn't any "off the shelf" conversion for that.

But as others have said, "why chain drive?"  Yes, it would be nice to swap ratios to change performance, but why do you want to buy new sprockets and chains each year?  They stretch and wear.  They are messy, too.  How often do you want to clean the rear wheel?  So, even though the belt does have an annoying squeak when it gets wet, I think it is also the next best alternative to a shaft drive.

Kick stater?  Yeah, I remember those and I miss them too.  However, "Thank God"! for the improvements in the electrical systems and batteries over the years because you don't want to kick start this engine (as AL said).  If you really have a problem, you'll kill yourself trying.  Plus, you'll need to convert the decompression system with a manual lever for it to work with the kick starter, anyway.  Kick starters were useful a long time ago with smaller engines...today, hardly any street bike has one, and you won't find a conversion.

Pop starting?  Have you tried that?  Luckily where we live there is usually a small slope somewhere (might be a challenge in Florida).  I have done a rolling pop start test on my Savage...the wife thought I was silly, of course.  If you still wish for a kick starter Shocked, then try doing this in 1st gear....you'll see what that 94 mm piston feels like.  Then, after you skid the rear tire, then try it in 2nd.  Get it rolling, key on, 2nd gear, clutch in, kill switch off, and let out the clutch quickly....pop start.  As long as your problem isn't related to fuel or ignition this solution is much easier than kick start, trust me.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/07/04 at 03:26:35

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
There's good and bad with kick starting,pain when it doesn't work and pride when it does 8)

Clive W

Ah, the old "Victory and Defeat" thing.  Yep, you are right.  And when it doesn't kick start, the pain isn't just in da feet  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 08/08/04 at 09:11:11

I've tried bump starting my KLX and it didn't work, 100mm piston :'(

Clive W

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 08/08/04 at 09:17:13

When I was in South Africa in 92 I had a XT500 and it started first or second kick every time, sold it to my little brother when I left.  Cheesy

Clive W

IP Logged
wrench

.Re: Converting to chain
Reply #13 - 08/08/04 at 09:32:36

> I've tried bump starting my KLX and it didn't work

With the key off and clutch 'out', put it in gear and back up the bike until it stops.  This rotates the crank about 340 degrees and brings the piston up.  Now, put it in 2nd or 3rd, turn the key on, and with clutch 'in' push like crazy.  When you get some speed jump on the bike and let out the clutch.  It should start.  If you just get wheel lock, select a taller gear.

IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/08/04 at 11:23:40

i had an XS650 chop and it had a  kick start - oh what joy   Embarrassed- not - the pain when that the kickstart sprung back on a missfire - i looked very cool rolling around on the floor holding my shin.  Roll Eyes

surely if you want to make that many changes to the savage wouldn't it be easier to get another bike?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:59:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Converting to chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.