Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good Windshield for Shorter Riders (Read 19 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Re: Good Windshield for Shorter Riders
Reply #15 - 08/09/04 at 08:48:17

ode to zipties and packing tape

i took this pic at home after i jb-welded the break, that is why the packing tape is cut and sticking out on the other side to where the break was...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #16 - 08/10/04 at 05:08:44

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
ode to zipties and packing tape

i took this pic at home after i jb-welded the break, that is why the packing tape is cut and sticking out on the other side to where the break was...

I am amazed you made it home with that!  Good for you.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #17 - 08/10/04 at 11:53:15

zipties come in different strengths. the ones i used have a tensile strength of 50 pounds.
so that together with the packing tape the windsheild didn't move even a little.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 08/10/04 at 13:58:20

Impressive fix for the windshield.  What happened?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #19 - 08/10/04 at 14:08:06

older windsheild + windy day with gusts = one broken plastic bracket, left side.

i was originally looking for duct tape in the office but there was not a roll to be found. even among 20+ engineers...

i didn't see when it happened, just noticed it at a stoplight in downtown dallas when a bus passed by and it blew that side of the windsheild out a bit.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #20 - 08/31/04 at 06:15:49

Thanks for the info.  Bought my Savage in March and have been going nuts over what windshield to buy.  I'll give Memphis Shades another look.  How hard are windshields to install?  Can a reasonably mechanically inclined person do it or should I have it done?

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #21 - 08/31/04 at 08:10:56

Diane wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thanks for the info.  Bought my Savage in March and have been going nuts over what windshield to buy.  I'll give Memphis Shades another look.  How hard are windshields to install?  Can a reasonably mechanically inclined person do it or should I have it done?

I think it depends on the windshield.  The one I bought (Memphis Slims) was very easy to install and I would think a reasonably mechanically inclined person could do it herself.  I did!  I'd be happy to help too if needed (online or you could call).  

I like the fork-mounted windshield better than the handlebar-mounted ones -- it seems more stable because it is mounted in 4 spots instead of 2 but lots of people like the handlebar mount so it may just be a matter of personal preference.

There definitely are other windshield options out there.  It just depends on what you need/want.  Others I know people have put on the bike are slipstreamer, national cycle and the suzuki one.  

Do pay attention to the height thing.  You basically want the top of the windshield to "hit/ line up with" between the tip and middle of your nose.  This is the best spot to avoid helmet buffeting and also for you to be able to see over it (important if it rains).

Good luck.  Let us know if you need any help.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #22 - 09/03/04 at 01:23:52

Toss in 2 cents...

I have the national cycle shield.  While it has served me well I can't say I'd buy it again.  For one I have the "curved" bars on my bike and the mounts they use aren't exacly the easiest to line up (well I was trying to be perfect!).  You CAN tilt it back and forth to preference.  My particular shield is light smoke, though it comes in clear.  I like the smoke look, but I don't look through the thing.  I am a "proportionate"  Roll Eyes guy and sit taller than the shield.

To tell you the truth I haven't ridden "shieldless" yet.  I have no clue how much wind is deflected off me or what with or without.  (Or even how the bike feels without it.)I've seen plenty of shieldless Savages though.  

On evening bug runs my friend gets all buggy on his 1200 Bandit (sport bike with a itty bitty shield) and I get like one or two on my helmet.  The shield takes a good number of the buggers out.

Well, either way I like my shield.  But if I had to do it all over again I'd get the fork mounted shield as I think it looks estetically better.

- Roadie

Lansing MI

IP Logged
suzyssuzi
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

nanaimo british columbia
Reply #23 - 09/06/04 at 07:20:03

here in canada we have a company called roadchrome and they have a 14 inch shield that looks like a memphis fat but is very small suits the bike great, am installing now to the bars but will modify to fork mount soon. cost 100.00 canadian (thats like 6.00 american right ) haha

suzyssuzi
peanut peanut   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #24 - 11/28/04 at 17:39:03

I am just almost 5'0" tall. Another option is what I recently put on my bike. The Memphis Shades "Shooter" windshield.

It's just less than 1" shorter than the Suzuki windshield and I find it's perfect for me. I got it from Dennis Kirk, and was satisfied with price and shipping and all. It is handlebar mounted, and was fairly easy to put on, although I did need a second pair of hands to do it.

Gerry

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #25 - 11/29/04 at 05:44:20

Gerry - I'd love to see a pic of the "shooter" on your bike! It'd be even better if you were in the pic too!  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #26 - 12/01/04 at 04:54:20

OK, I will have to find a picture of it, and me too. Smiley I know I have them somewhere. I took pictures as I was putting it on, now just to find the disk with the pics..... Roll Eyes

Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 13:03:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good Windshield for Shorter Riders

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.