Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TOURING ON A SAVAGE? (Read 87 times)
SAVAGE1
Ex Member

TOURING ON A SAVAGE?
07/01/04 at 09:15:45

just join up and cool site!! I also am thinking of the new savage s/40 and would like to ask can one tour on the savage? Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: TOURING ON A SAVAGE?
Reply #1 - 07/02/04 at 13:25:33

It depends on your definition of touring.  If riding 2 lane twistie roads through the mountains with no particular time limit is your idea, then yes.  That is what the Savage (or S40) is really intended to do.  If cruising the interstate at 70-80 is your plan, you'll be more happy with the next size up v-twin (s65?).

The Savage is a torquey single.  It is smooth in it's best RPM range around 4K.  The spouse and I have ridden ours fully loaded with gear on 300 mile days, but our average speed was 45-50, with occassional hops on the interstate.

You can do interstae speeds with the Savage, but it isn't at home there (IMO)

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #2 - 07/02/04 at 20:19:03

>You can do interstae speeds with the
> Savage, but it isn't at home there

It will cruise the highway all day at 65-70mph, but you better be chewing gum so your teeth don't bang together.  They don't call thumper riders "numb nuts" for no reason.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/03/04 at 04:44:12

savage1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
just join up and cool site!! I also am thinking of the new savage s/40 and would like to ask can one tour on the savage? Grin

You also need to remember that "interstate" cruising involves more wind...from speed and and trucks.  The Savage is the lightest "cruiser" bike on the market, and wind does have an effect on the interstate.

Also, does "touring" mean 2-up riding?  Nope.  The Savage seat and suspension isn't made for that either.  The engine has the power for 2 people, but now we are talking about ergonomics and comfort.  Short rides are okay, but you don't want to take off for the weekend (unless both of you are alot smaller than me Shocked)

The Savage is a thumpin' back roads single rider machine.  Throw your gear on the back seat and head for the hills.

IP Logged
SAVAGE1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/03/04 at 07:53:17

Thanks ,I don,t plan on doing interstates just the backroads I don,t ever go on freeways. there full of idiots on cellphone that put others in danger. and the best way to see america is the back country anyway. Ron

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #5 - 07/04/04 at 05:55:20

You can! I've gone from NYC to Myrtle Beach, to West Virginia, to New Hampshire. I've taken interstates on parts of those trips, riding as fast as 70+, even 80+ for short stretches.

With a TBag or duffle bag, and saddlebags, you can haul a lot of stuff too (too much, I usually overpack. Tongue Roll Eyes )

Have fun!

Gerry

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 07/04/04 at 09:05:58

The savage just makes the rest stops all that much sweeter!!! Wink

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Wayne Crannell

Reply #7 - 07/14/04 at 20:25:40

Well, I just got back from 2350 miles -- Dallas to Milwaukee and back in 350-400 mile chunks. Mine handled it fine, but there were moments I was wishing for a Goldwing! (4 hours of thunderstorms from Dubuque to Des Moines was one.) Country roads at 65 mph were much more comfortable and fun than interstates at 70 mph. The Airhawk pad, Protac backrest, Throttle Rocker, Throttle Lock, and windshield made it possible. Would have liked a bigger gas tank, better suspension, and about 10 mph more in reserve on the top end. On the other hand, it kept up just fine on the interstate. It does suck that the stock rear tire has 5500 miles on it and looks like I'll need a new one soon!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/16/04 at 11:41:46

Wayne Crannell wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Well, I just got back from 2350 miles -- Dallas to Milwaukee and back in 350-400 mile chunks. Mine handled it fine, but there were moments I was wishing for a Goldwing! (4 hours of thunderstorms from Dubuque to Des Moines was one.) Country roads at 65 mph were much more comfortable and fun than interstates at 70 mph. The Airhawk pad, Protac backrest, Throttle Rocker, Throttle Lock, and windshield made it possible. Would have liked a bigger gas tank, better suspension, and about 10 mph more in reserve on the top end. On the other hand, it kept up just fine on the interstate. It does suck that the stock rear tire has 5500 miles on it and looks like I'll need a new one soon!

Admirable ride.  Whoa!  I guess the Airhawk was really your best part of that ride.  I met someone that did an Iron Butt ride, and he gave all the credit to that seat....he was riding an Indian, too.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/18/04 at 15:02:17

CHECK OUT YOUR LONGEST TRIP ON A SAVAGE PAGE 5 ALL THE IMFO YOU NEED Grin

IP Logged
Savvyge

Reply #10 - 09/07/04 at 22:54:03

Yes, you sure can tour on a Savage, if you know how to pack light and dry and you are happy to stop for gas and a break every couple hours. Bert Heise just posted my thoughts and some pix I sent him on his Savage Owners Owner's site. in the "Reviews"section. Enjoying touring depends more on your approach than your equipment. Your Savage will make as fine a companion traveling unfamiliar roads far from home as it does taking you to work every day.

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #11 - 09/08/04 at 05:40:44

I have ridden up to 632 miles in one day, all day, for over 12 hours on my Savage. Just me on the bike; Overally, relatively light with me weighing in at 116 lbs, plus packed saddlebags, TBag and a dufflebag.

We traveled at speeds of 75+, and while the bike did OK at that speed, the part of the ride past 7-8 hours became more like work for me. I think the bike was just fine. But over 12hours in the seat isn't much fun.

I had done another ride, almost 400 miles in one day, speeds of 70-75. I was alone, so stopped when I wanted, went when I wanted. I was on the road that day from 10:30am til 7:15pm, and found that day most delightful, and very comfortable, just getting tired around the 375 mile mark. That and the later hour made me stop when I did.

Gerry

Gerry

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/08/04 at 06:08:11

Years ago when I first started riding I toured on a 250 Honda. So my answer is yes you can tour on a Savage.

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #13 - 09/08/04 at 13:56:00

Just remember one of the basic premises to the sport of motorcycling, it's not just the destination, it's the ride.  Take your time and enjoy it.  Your Savage will do just fine.  Have fun and be safe.

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/08/04 at 14:39:51

> yes you can tour on a Savage.

You could ride a LS650 from coast to coast, it's strong and reliable.

Sitting in one position during long rides on any bike can be uncomfortable, so move around and stretch a little at gas stops.  I try to limit my touring to 400 mile days to give the buns and back a break.

As discussed in another thread, the LS rides firm which can really beat you up on a tour.  I strongly recommend the Hagon shocks if you are going to do some high mileage riding.

> Years ago when I first started riding
> I toured on a 250 Honda

Shameless plug for another group.  If any of you have a Honda 250 Nighthawk, check it out:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB250_Nighthawk

We tour on them, one rider has clocked over 79,000 miles on the original engine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:00:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TOURING ON A SAVAGE?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.