Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust (Read 35 times)
Elizabeth

Exhaust
06/25/04 at 13:15:56

Got a 99 with about 5350 miles on it.
Got it about 2 weeks ago now. Have not been able to get alot of use out of it yet.
Hubby said last week the gasket between pipe and head was fine. Well I took it apart today and put in a new one just to be sure. Took it for a ride and it still backfires. Had a real loud one when I let off in 4th to shift to a lower gear then to also put on the bake. Maybe it needs some sealant? What kind to get and do I put it between the gasket and the pipe or between gasket and head?
Does not have a specific time it likes to backfire. It does so on both low and high end of gears. So it has been hard to determine. Does not do it all the time as before but of course have not been able to ride for any great distance other than about 5 miles or so at a time.
I have installed a  #150 jet, new air filter, new float on order (other had a crack..hubby did a temp fix until Tuesday when other comes in) Goes in on Wed to have the plug drilled out for the adjustment screw. (I am scared to do it myself also they have to check the pilot jet as the stock one I think is stripped) New battery
Any ideas?

IP Logged
Elizabeth

Re: Exhaust
Reply #1 - 06/25/04 at 18:26:11

Plug has been drilled out. I can see the screw slot to adjust.
Now idea's to help min. the backfiring. I still think it might be sucking air even though I put in a new gasket between pipe and head.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/26/04 at 01:02:57

ELIZABETH THE CARBY ON THE 86 HAS A DIAPHRAM ON THE TOP OF THE PISTON VALVE IN THE TOP OF THE CARBY AND ALSO IN THE TRANSIENT ENRICHMENT VALVE ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE IT MAY BE WORTH CHECKING FOR ANY HOLES THIS MAY CAUSE BACKFIRING BUT USALLY UNDER LOAD OR WHEN TWISTING THE THROTLE I THINK THE LATER CARB ARE THE SAME GOOD LUCK Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/02/04 at 12:53:47

So it has improved since your jetting changes?

Also check the seal at the muffler clamp to the header pipe.  You can most easily tell if it is leaking if you have black around the oil level sight glass.

Of course, if you get a Raask pipe and install a #155 main, your troubles will be over.  Completely  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 22:38:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.