Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Put on a tachometer today... (Read 60 times)
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Put on a tachometer today...
06/03/04 at 19:37:39

I bought a Baron's Mini Tachometer from www.PhatPerformanceParts.com and it arrived today, one day ahead of schedule.

It's a blackface 8k rpm.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Produc...

Here's some pix of it on my bike on my site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gitarzan/tach/, sorry it's kinda dark, but I took it with a flash on a dark patio.

I used a cable bracket for a mount. I went to EasyRiders here in town and got the bracket and a longer  allen screw.  Lowes provided me with rubber washers and some bonded bronze/rubber washers. I also grabbed an old RadioShack grommet from my junk wall in my shop.

The hardest part was rigging up a bracket and getting the tank off.  The tank removal wasn't that hard but it was sticky and I had to pull the gascock off in order to get it off.  That meant I had to drain the gas first.   Undecided Finally it all was removed.  

There's four wires on the tach.  I had wrapped the black cable in chrome covering, (I'm a very *friendly* person for chrome) and fed it back to the Coil.  One wire goes to the neg side of the coil, two wires go to the pos side of the coil and one wire gets ground. That's it.

It's steady, due to my rubber mount I came up with and the needle action is smooth.  AND IT LOOKS COOL.  Wink  And I'd really rather know what my RPMs are than go by the seat of my pants and my ears.  Guess what.  It's lower than you might think.  At least to me. I used to have a 2 stroke that revved to 7krpm like it was nothing.  More on this part at a later date.

I may tweak the mounting setup at another time, but for now it's fine and it's at a real easy to read distance for me (young guys, that will become an important issue for you too when you reach about 40).

While I had the tank off, I also replaced the dead bulb in the bright light indicator and hopefully got rid of a ferocious speedo squeak.  I noticed that the rubber gasket around the console was squished under and mashed and such.  I carefully pulled it back to it's original position and put the speedo console back on. Hey,  the squeaking stopped!  I was suprised it took that little bit of fiddling with. I had visions of dumping silicone seal all over the place.  That was worth the whole job. Man, that speedo squeaking and buzzing drove me nuts.

The tach isn't off center the camera is, so the flash doesn't glare out the dial...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Put on a tachometer today...
Reply #1 - 06/05/04 at 02:43:35

SmileyThat tach looks awesome on the Savage ... may get one of those for my '03 next year!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
rolando murillo

Reply #2 - 06/26/04 at 03:27:14

I really like it.
Do I need a tachometer that comes with two or four wires?
Can you explained me again how did you install the wiring step by step again please?

Thanks

IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/27/04 at 08:55:18

nah i know when i'm going too fast in the gear cos my hands go numb with the vibrations through the bars

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/29/04 at 14:02:49

I have a tach on mine that is very similar....I'm not sure where it came from because it was slightly used when I got it.....

How do you insert a picture in these messages?

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
http://suzukisavagRe: Put on a tachometer today...
Reply #5 - 07/04/04 at 05:36:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
...How do you insert a picture in these messages?

see this thread Photos To Upload to see how.

gitarzan, and others who added a tachometer...
now that you have one, do you find that it helps your riding any, or is it more informational for you how the engine is operating?

Gerry

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/04/04 at 07:48:58

Just informational.  I like to see it idling correctly, and look at it when I'm cruising along, but that is it.  Not like I use it to shift.  I still just use my sense of engine speed for that.

It adds a nice accessory look too.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 07/04/04 at 09:15:45

I concur.  

The Savage's redline is above my personal redline, but I thought that when it was at 4000rpm it was higher than it actually was.  I realize I can push it more than I previously thought.  And I do. Sometimes.

On the freeway it might be the diff between riding in an spot that I don't like or knowing that I can rev a little more and get away.

Also I know the idle is where it ought to be.  So by adding it I learned more about my bike's limits and capabilities.  

Put it this way:  I drive a Mazda Protege' with an automatic.  IT has a tach too.  I use the tach I added on the bike much more and to better ends than the tach in the car.

And it looks cool, too.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 07/05/04 at 05:21:26

Could one of you people with a tach tell me at what revs the rev limiter cuts in at.

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 07/05/04 at 05:36:31

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Could one of you people with a tach tell me at what revs the rev limiter cuts in at.

Clive W

I have never tried to wind it that tight....

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 07/05/04 at 06:27:57

Thanks Greg, I've read someware that it's 6500rpm.

Clive W

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 00:45:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put on a tachometer today...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.