Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
After Storage Maintenance? (Read 17 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
After Storage Maintenance?
04/23/04 at 13:10:21

???Well, here in Eastern Nfld. we thought that Winter was over ... birds were chirping, grass was turning green ... but alas the weatherman is forecasting an inch (25cm) of snow for Sunday ... man it's too late for more snow ...
Anyhoo, we had a superb Fall last year, and so rode my '03 Savage late into the season ... as a result I was riding and not winter-prepping the Bike ... put her away in an un-heated shed for the past several months without the MOM reccommended "teaspoon" of oil down in the cylinder. My question is this ... our winters are typically a freeze/thaw cycle for 4-5 months ... so, will it harm the engine (pistons, rings, etc.) to just install the battery, fresh gas & fire the Bike up, without having added the oil to the cylinder prior to storage? I am worried that our freeze/thaw weather may have caused condensation (and thus possible corrosion) inside the cylinder itself. Have any of you long-time Savage owners ever experienced problems with your Bikes, having stored them under similar circumstances and starting 'em up without following reccommended storage procedures "to a tee"?
Any advice here would be appreciated ... thanks!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Update; After Storage Maintenance?
Reply #1 - 04/24/04 at 16:49:15

SmileyUpdate to previous post ... well it was a
beautiful Saturday here in Nfld. today (a tad chilly though), so bright and early I went out to the shed, determined to have my '03 Savage running before noon. Most frustrating part, was getting the fuel
tank off ... followed the procedure outlined by others on this and other Forums, but to no avail ... I pushed, twisted, tugged, cursed and swore, but I just couldn't get the petcock to clear the frame ... decided to remove the petcock altogether (being very careful) and the tank just lifted free easily! Removed the spark plug, gave a
couple of squirts of fogging oil down into the cylinder and turned over the engine with the elect. starter a few times ... reassembled everything and the Bike fired right up no problem! Even took her for a little spin! The whole ordeal took me about 3 1/2 hours altogether and I was very pleased, esp. as I am not exactly mechanically
inclined ...
Next week, oil change!
Ride Safe everyone!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 00:58:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › After Storage Maintenance?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.