Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pinging noise?????? (Read 36 times)
savagethumper
Ex Member

Pinging noise??????
04/21/04 at 20:24:19

I took the bike for a short trip into town to buy a replacement bulb (about 10 miles), and it started pinging rather noticeably. My first thought was the oil, so I pulled over, killed it, and checked the oil.  It looked ok.  And it's only got about 1300 miles on the oil change.  I still went on and added about a third of a quart to it.  Fired it up, and it pinged, almost like something rattling loose.  But the pinging seemed to be coming from inside the top of the motor.  I tried to track it down but had no real luck.  It seemed to mellow out after a while.  Could it have been the oil, even though the level wasn't low.  About 3/4 of the sight glass was full......  This is Texas, 70+ degrees, and I'm running 5w-30.  Is this the proper oil, proper level, and such??? ???

IP Logged
Ek Oil

Re: Pinging noise??????
Reply #1 - 04/22/04 at 05:12:59

What octane gas do you use?  Many times pinging noises are caused by a gas grade below the recommended octane rating.  Check your MOM to see what's recommended and try it for a tank or three.  If you can't find the info, try at least 89 octane.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/22/04 at 09:35:22

I generally run 93 octane. Undecided  But, now that you mention that, I realize it finally mellowed out about 5 miles after I gassed it up again.  Maybe it just had some bad gas in it.  Thanks for the reply.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/24/04 at 23:48:31

HEY SAVAGETHUMPER DOWN HERE IN AUSTRALIA IT GETS PRETTY WARM AROUND A AVERAGE OF 30c ALL SUMMER . SO I RUN SHELL OIL 15W-50 ALL YEAR IN FACT I HAVE THE SUZUKI MANUAL IN FRONT OF ME AND IT SAYS AT 70 .F USE A MULTIGRADE 20W-50 . SO MAY BE CHECK OUT YOUR OIL. SINGLE GRADE 30.
                           AL DOWN UNDER 8)

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/04 at 17:21:31

I'm due an oil change, so I'll change to 20w-50.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 00:44:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pinging noise??????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.