Send Topic Print
Oversized Cylinder (Read 22 times)
woodworker
Ex Member

Re: Oversized Cylinder
Reply #15 - 02/27/05 at 11:32:54

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Thanks Woody congrats on the rebuild!
The bike bandit photo incorrectly shows an old 2-valve piston! That's why the HD boys needed to add another jug! Grin
I was interested in the fact that you ran through the clutch.
Was this w/ new clutch springs and discs installed w/ the rebuild?
Also, I noticed while surfing for parts that the 650 called for the same clutch spring as my '83 750 and several others.
I suspect that Suzuki 650 may share more components among other models, if that nice Barnett kit fails to contain your new found torque.

You know, I looked for a piston kit last year. I think I saw this one, on Bike Bandit, but I don't recall seeing it in the Wiseco book.

So I went back and it was listed w/ the dirt bike stuff under the DR 650 (like we got knobby tires  Roll Eyes)
It appears to be an 8.5:1 kit  in the catalog, page 7 -
http://www.wiseco.com/PDFcatalogs/ps04-suzuki.pdf
I would like to bump the compression up a point. Did Wiseco mention anything about the ratio in your kit?

Did some calculations myself, with the additional volume obtained from the cavities in the top of the Wiseco piston and the oversize cylinder volume, the compression ratio worked out to essentially the same i.e. 8.5:1, also checked with Wiseco tech at the time and they confirmed this, thus no need to change camshaft timing
I have pics of the actual piston if you wish to see them.
I'm not sure how to publish them in this forum.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question re: the clutch - During the rebuild I checked all clutch components i.e. friction disc thicknesses, spring free length, drive discs, and they were all within Suzuki's tolerances, I got the slippage using the original clutch. This only happened the one time I tried it, there is a possibility that I had not let the machine warm up enough to operating temperature when I gave her a shot. Will definitely get some answers and solutions when this snow dissappears!

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Oversized Cylinder
Reply #16 - 02/27/05 at 11:46:13

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Did some calculations myself, with the additional volume obtained from the cavities in the top of the Wiseco piston and the oversize cylinder volume, the compression ratio worked out to essentially the same i.e. 8.5:1, also checked with Wiseco tech at the time and they confirmed this, thus no need to change camshaft timing
I have pics of the actual piston if you wish to see them.
I'm not sure how to publish them in this forum.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question re: the clutch - During the rebuild I checked all clutch components i.e. friction disc thicknesses, spring free length, drive discs, and they were all within Suzuki's tolerances, I got the slippage using the original clutch. This only happened the one time I tried it, there is a possibility that I had not let the machine warm up enough to operating temperature when I gave her a shot. Will definitely get some answers and solutions when this snow dissappears!

Thanks, You didn't mention switching to synthetic oil.
I suspect the '86 springs were a little tired by now. The new Barnett parts should do the trick.

Also for photos when posting/replying,
next to "Add YABBC tags:" 2nd row, 4th button,
type in the link to your photo, highlight it, then just click the "insert image" button.  
Your pic will appear.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 13:19:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oversized Cylinder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.