Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical Problem (Read 28 times)
mcprince006
Ex Member

Electrical Problem
03/29/04 at 18:19:42

Can anyone out there help me with this problem?  Whenever the bike gets a few miles down the road (3-5) it suddenly dies with no warning.  Then it won't restart until it cools off, 20-30 minutes later.  I replaced the ignition coil and the spark plug.  That wasn't it.  The battery still has a charge after the bike dies, so that rules out the battery and alternator, I think.  The rest of the electrical parts are expensive and I can't really afford to take a shot in the dark.  Anyone have any ideas... rectifier, ignitor, control unit, etc.?

IP Logged
Gregski
Ex Member

Re: Electrical Problem
Reply #1 - 03/30/04 at 17:01:55

How come are you sure its an Electrical Problem?  What if the bike uses up all the gas in the carb and then dies?  Or what if the carb floods and then the bike dies?  So you wait a while some of the gas evaporates and then it starts again.  Wouldn't that make it a fuel problem?

IP Logged
mcprince006
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/04 at 19:56:14

I guess it's possible... but if it was flooding wouldn't there be a stronger smell of gas after it died?  As for the gas evaporating, I'm not sure about inside the carb but the fuel line going into the carb is clear and flows freely.  How would I go about checking?

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #3 - 03/31/04 at 12:49:37

I had a problem with it dying out after riding for awhile, I got to the piont I could restart it as I was still moving. I had the carb looked at and I added a new pipe since they were cleaning the carb. After I got it back it still died on me. I tried keeping the fuel petcock on reserve and it didn't die anymore. I replaced the fuel petcock and it runs great now. Some people have problems with the gas cap. Try taking it off when you die, put it back on and see if it starts. The hardest part to fixing any problem is know what the problem is.
Jen

Jen
  IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #4 - 03/31/04 at 12:50:23

Fuel petc*ck is petthingy.  Smiley

Jen
  IP Logged
mcprince006
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/04/04 at 20:26:53

Yep, you were right.  Once the petcock was replaced it worked great.  Thanks for the input!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 09:35:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.