Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PROJECT: Handlebars, Risers and Mirrors (Read 64 times)
Gregski
Ex Member

PROJECT: Handlebars, Risers and Mirrors
03/22/04 at 13:11:02

I would like to share with you pictures of my new handlebars, risers and mirrors. I ordered the handlebars and risers from my local Harley Davidson Dealership using a Drag Specialties Catalog called the Fat Book. The mirrors I ordered from the JC Whitney catalog online.

Golf Club Style Mini Mirrors - $89.99
6 inch Round Top Risers - $72.95
32 inch Drag Bars - $59.95
6 inch Bolts - $3.96 each (needed two grade 8 for extra strength)
Bolt Machining - $85.00 (one hours labor)
TOTAL - $315.81 plus tax and beer (yes my bro helped me out)

Harely dealership was willing to machine the bolts for me as long as I provided the bolts, (my local Suzuki dealership would not do it). So I bought two 6 inches long, 1/2 inch fine thread bolts at a Napa Auto Parts store, and even though they told me grade 5 would be easier to machine I opted for grade 8, wanting more strength. These bolts were key, as the risers require American 1/2 inch fine thread, and our triple tree bushings use 10mm bolts. So I had special bolts made that had threads at each end and were about 4 1/2 inches long. Then I was able to reuse our stock washers and locking nuts.

PLEASE NOTE: The Thunder Manufacturing bolts I recommended earlier unfortunately will not work, they are too short, and use 1/2 inch coarse thread instead of fine, so they wont screw into the risers. (Note to self, return them for a refund).

The upgrade takes about an hour, no cuss words were flown, some drilling was required to make the lights/blinker/horn doohickey and throttle doohickey fit on the handlebars as each one had a nipple type thingy sticking out, I guess to make sure it doesn't twist as you open up the throttle.

Resluts... I think the bars look great, they are wider than the first ones I ordered (27 inches or so) the mirrors look great but are hard to see in, and wobble loose, I need to tighten them... cornering takes on a whole new meaning, I really find myself pressing hard on the bars on twisties. Folks, there is something to be said for the stock engineering of the Savage, it is a great bike, right off the factory floor, no need to mock with it, I was just experimenting, and I like the results, but am holding on to the stock, bars, risers, and mirrors, in case I ever change my mind, or God forbid sell the scooter.

http://www.gregandsandy.com/PROJECT01.htm

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Re: PROJECT: Handlebars, Risers and Mirrors
Reply #1 - 04/10/04 at 09:38:00

Looks great Cheesy.  Now your bike is unique.  I would bet that if you ever sold it, the buyer would want to keep it just like that.  The only somewhat custom mod I did to mine was put the plate on the side, and remove that dumb plastic dealer plate frame.  I'm more of a newbie towards the internet, otherwise I would post some pics.  Email me if you want to see it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 03:28:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PROJECT: Handlebars, Risers and Mirrors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.