Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
your input would be a great help (Read 31 times)
anymess
Ex Member

your input would be a great help
02/24/04 at 19:54:25

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum. I am 43 yrs old and work in HVAC engineering. I have been riding for 3 years now. I ride when ever weather permits in Istanbul, Turkey. I have a 2003 black Volusia. I am a rider of superevariders, one of the biggest cruiser riding groups in Turkey. You can visit ' www.superevariders.com ' and surf trough some photographs to get an idea about riding in Turkey. Unfortunately site is mostly in Turkish but soon there will be an English version too.

I have reached this forum while looking information about savage, which I am about to buy a 1996 model for my girlfriend. So your input would be a great help.

I have seen the bike, it’s in a acceptable condition with some cosmetic defects, rust and starches here and there and new tires. I believe a new paint work and some polishing and a new exhaust might be needed. My main concern is the condition of the motor, since previous history is unknown. Owner says that it is 19000 km on the odometer but it might be 119000 km as well and he had replaced cam shaft and rocker arms due to a problem in oil supply but had not replaced timing chain and a new one might be needed soon. I had no change to inspect the belt drive clutch and brakes but I am sure to do before making my final decision.

I would appreciate any ideas. He is asking about 2500.- USD.(new 6000.-USD)  which seems to be ok for local market. But have no idea about how to check belt drive and cost of a new belt drive, a new exhaust and timing chain. What might have caused camshaft and rocker arm failure or if there are any savage specific pit falls. What else should be considered inspecting a savage?  Would this bike worth the effort to restore or should I steer away.  

I would appreciate any input,

Best wishes to all and please ride safe

Anymess
Mehmet sezerel

IP Logged
ironman
Ex Member

Re: your input would be a great help
Reply #1 - 02/25/04 at 04:58:48

Think about it now. Any bike that has had that many problems; do you really want to saddle-up on it?
Plenty of other bikes that are that old (and older) that have not had these kinds of problems.
My guess is; the bike was not broken in properly, was not maintained properly and was probably run to hard.
My opinion, let this one go bye, bye.
Any bike that has close to 20,000 miles is soon to have some problems.
Belt will cost about $250.00 (US)
Timing chain (who knows)
plus labor  cost (who knows)

IP Logged
ironman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/04 at 05:03:13

About the cam and rockers.....The Savage must warm up before it is ridden. That is really important with the Savage. It takes a while for the oil to work it's way up to the upper engine parts.
Lack of oil on these parts could have caused too much metal to metal friction.....means wear.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 02/25/04 at 05:15:21

Dear Mehmet

I'm from Holland , ride a Savage since september 2003 and i am a retired aircraft engineer  

My best advice is to visit some more forums.

As for prices: they are HIGH , but you know that allready.
On the www.ronayers.com website you can select the microfiches of the Savage and when you click on the partnumber it give you the price in the USA. This gives you a fair idea about prices.
The camchain has a life of about 30.000 Km. The reason for the replacement of the camshaft due to lack of oil can be atributed to a LOW oil level.
Some more Sites:
http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/LS650-Fragen.html
( In English and German including links to the Dutch forum)
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/be_savage/
(Amerikan site)
And if you understand German:
http://www.ls650.de/forum/main/YaBB.cgi
Also get a Workshop manual from Clymer at
http://www.repairmanual.com
If you need more information feel free to contact me . Good luck and save riding
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/06/04 at 13:52:33

HI ANY MESS MY BELT HAS HAD 2 HOLE,S IN IT FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS AND IVE DONE ABOUT 10000 K AND SOME BIG TRIPS. THE HOLES WHERE PUT THERE BY A STICK AND THE SECOUND BY A STONE WHICH I DIDN,T RELIZE WAS STUCK ON THE BACK PULLY. WHICH YOU SHOULD CHECK EVERY TIME YOU FILL THE TANK WHEN ON A LONG TRIP . THE HOLES ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BELT WHICH IS NOT SO BAD . IF THEY WERE ON THE OUTSIDE I WOULD REPLACE IT STRAIGHT AWAY. THERE A LOT TOUGHER THAN PEOPLE THINK . AL DOWN UNDER

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 13:02:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › your input would be a great help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.