Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PROJECT: Side-Mount Plate Frame (Read 311 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: PROJECT: Side-Mount Plate Frame
Reply #15 - 03/25/09 at 07:43:37

FYI Matt- if you plan on mounting it on the left side of the axle like in my above pics, I'd recommend you get a curved one with the vertical support that is flush with the outer edge of the curved piece and not  welded near the center of the curved piece.  When I had mine on it seems like I thought that if there was less clearance between the inside of the plate mount and the rear pulley that I'd feel a little uncomfortable.    

I checked the link pics and it's a little hard to tell if the pieces are flush but I'm thinking they are.  Even in my pic above it's a little tricky to tell if it's flush or slightly inset cause of the shadows but it is indeed flush.  Ask the buyer if you're not sure.  

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #16 - 03/25/09 at 08:33:22

This is on my bike. Kind of the same thing Jim was talking about.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #17 - 03/25/09 at 09:08:27

Exactly, SA.  A welding buddy of mine in another town said that a handful of people were making those $18-$25 curved mounts initially and he questioned the strength of the welds by the pics he had seen and one he had bought himself.  We did some research and asked around and discovered several instances of those early curved ones breaking at the weld just as he had suspected.  He agrees that they are all made really good now.  That's why clearance was an issue for me when mounting.  I visioned high wind breaking it and pushing it into the pulley ala a blender on puree.

The one that you show, SA, looks very solid.  

Also, don't mount the plate on one side then bend it over the curve and mount the other.  Pre-bend evenly first over the curve or around a one gallon paint can to where the plate holds the curved shape on it's own.  I've heard stories about the mount-bend-mount method putting to much bending pressure on the screw holes of the side mounted first.  Vibration and heating/cooling of the plate eventually causes the plate to crack at those mounting holes. Put something behind the plate, sandwiched between the plate and mount, to dampen vibration if you get any rattles.  

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #18 - 03/25/09 at 11:29:06

Our plates here are made out of garbage. This set up has been on for over a year and almost 5000 of my almost 7000 miles. The bolts I chose also give it a little wider foot pattern and I have washers under them. I did pre-bend the plate. I was almost thinking of getting one shaped the other way. The welds on this one should hold for a good long time. I mostly got this one because I knew it would fit my light.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 03/25/09 at 12:25:21

To each his own, but I don't quite understand the idea of the side-mount plate. To me, it looks asymmetrical, and not very good. Besides, if the rear light is mounted there, it becomes less visible from the right side of the bike, and thus perhaps a little more of a safety hazard.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #20 - 03/25/09 at 14:05:41

But his brake light will be twice as visible on the left side so it evens out.  Cheesy

Just messin" with ya.  It's part of the same mindset that has some of us violate federal law when we put pod filters and sportster exhausts on our bikes.  We do it cause it's cool.  

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #21 - 03/25/09 at 17:39:28

Vision was my concern too, once i mounted it you can see its visible though my rim and its bright as hell. i like the less is better look and until i actually get a ticket for it....its staying right where it is!

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 03/26/09 at 08:58:57

SE,

Did you have to drill out the mounting hole on the bracket to accomodate our 1" axle diameter?  Or is there an option to buy the tag bracket w/ a 1" hole already drilled? TIA and I love the setup with the maltese cross light, exactly the way I'm going!

-Matt

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #23 - 03/26/09 at 20:50:05

nope! that was the easiest and fastest "bolt on" i every did....i need to add spacers to the bolts to even out the back of the light but the bracket was made perfectly and slide right on. i did have to size up the holes for the light to fit the bolts that came with the light.
btw, the bottom of the cross has a clear window to light the plate, two birds with one stone!

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 03/27/09 at 06:34:37

Gotcha.  Thanks for the response, and I believe the light I'm looking at is the same one you have, with the clear window on the bottom to light the plate.  Can't wait to get mine done!

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #25 - 03/27/09 at 06:48:57

I'm working on another project to make things more visible. I've been behind my bike at night, trust me you can see the light just fine from pretty much anywhere. Its pretty freaking bright.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:28:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PROJECT: Side-Mount Plate Frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.