Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chopper Project (Read 153 times)
Greg

Chopper Project
02/09/04 at 09:34:22

Lets start a discussion of a Chopper Project here, so that we don't have to hunt and peck for items all over this fantastic Message Board.  Ideas for discussion:  frame building and shops that can build frames for us, front ends, 21 inch wheels, custom body work, seats, handlebars, etc.

IP Logged
Greg

Re: Chopper Project
Reply #1 - 02/09/04 at 09:35:59

Anybody here in Sacramento, California looking to build a chopper?  I am looking for someone working on a Savage so we can team up and help each other out or share ideas.

IP Logged
Mario Thorne 86 SAVAGE

Reply #2 - 02/10/04 at 03:21:35

i,m curently working on my savage and am considering having a frame done and converting to chain drive.having the chain will make it alot easier to go with a custom frame or a prefab that will require some engine mount mods.i like the idea of maybe 4inch stretch in downtube and backbone.stretch tank,6-8 over in tubes maybe 40 total in rake,about 37 in neck and 3 in tree.alot of work..still in process of rebuilding carb and saving for raask drag pipe.if i never get the rigid i,m considering the seegar cycle chop kit and keeping rear shocks.
sandblasting all tin this week to repaint havent foung a site with house of koulor paint chips to view for an idea on what color to paint it,let me know what ideas you are kicking around.mario

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/04 at 11:24:07

I am chopping my Savage as well. I will gladly share what I learn and I'll have lots of questions as well. I live in the Dallas-Ft Worth area. I am using my frame and cutting the downtube to get the rake I want.

IP Logged
IronRebel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/04 at 16:58:01

Greg, just a few modifications that I've done to my 87 Savage. I have a 8inch over wide springer. I made a spoon seat and I also have a sportster gas tank. I removed all of the safety electrical stuff...narrowed it down to just the spark ignitor, coil, regulator and starter. I've eliminated the decompression switch (I put a lever on that I can manually push by hand) I eliminated the neutral switch, the clutch pull switch, kickstand switch, solenoid and timer switches...etc. I have a hand drawn schematic if any wants a copy. As for reverting back to chain drive I also have a Suzuki gs primary and sprocket gear that fits on the savage easily(If I decide to go with a rigid frame. I also moved my forward controls 4 inches forward. (I'm 6 feet tall and stock was crampy) I also made a custom cam chain adjuster since the Savages is poorly desighned (when it gets to it;s limit, it falls apart) I have pics of my scooter. Just send me your email adress.
ChopperDan in Connecticut

IP Logged
IronRebel
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/10/04 at 17:48:17

Mario, you can use any Harley muffler or drag pipe on your Savage. Just slip a piece of brass shim around your pipe and use either a muffler (take the baffle out for a nice low rumble) or put a small baffle in the drag pipe.
You'll find plenty of great deals at swap meets. I picked up my Sportster muffler at a swap meet for 5 bucks took the baffle out and it sounds pretty good. As for rejetting, I took the spacer off of the needle in the carburetor since all Savages are set too lean to pass EPA import standards. Also you can pull the brass plug from the right side of the carburetor and the gas/air mixture screw is under it.

IP Logged
Greg

Reply #6 - 02/10/04 at 23:22:48

Glad to see you all replying!  I recently bought a Savage frame on eBay and shipped it to Mike Stansell of STANSELL CYCLE WORKS, INC. in York, South Carolina.  His email is jstan1234@bellsouth.net

Mike has been interested in building a custom frame for a Savage but was waiting to get his hands on the actuall frame to use as a template, well soon he will have one, (thank you very much).

I have a 1999 Savage and am wondering if there have been any major design changes in the frame, or can he use the frame as a template and build a frame which mounts will work for all Savage years?  Can someone confirm that, I know the Clymer Service Manuals for the Savage come in something like 1986 to 1988 and 1995 to 2003, wonder if anythnig major has changed with the frame?

I am having Mike weld me a rigid frame, but I am still trying to decide what stretch and rake I want, I think if we put our heads together and decide on some specs, (keeping safety in mind) Mike can use the same jig to weld some frames for us.

I am on the fence in terms of what I want to do with my project.  Should I take all the stock parts off the Savage and just move them over to the new stretched rigid frame?  Or, should I customize the hell out of it?

Your thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated,
Greg

IP Logged
IronRebel
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/11/04 at 17:12:28

The way I understand it, the only major change through the years on the Savage has been the transmission. I forgot what years, but the older bikes (like my 87) has 4 speed while the newer scooters have a 5 speed. I've eyballed the new 2004 models and they look identical to my 1987. I love the simplicity of this bike. Excellent choice for any "ghetto" chopper builder like myself because we don't have much money. he he he
All we need is pocket change, a hacksaw and a hammer...he he he

IP Logged
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Reply #8 - 02/12/04 at 00:28:10

The Savages made -86-88 have 4 gears, the rest have 5. (Wonder why...4 is absolutely ok with this engine)
Nothing has changed with the frame.
Personally I would not consider changing from beltdrive to chain, since the belt is one of the best advantages with this bike. If there was any 650 thumper with shaft drive, I'd buy it. Anyway, Seeger Cucles sell a wideglide-kit that is German-made by FS-Chopper. I recommend it.
Good luck with your projects !
Peter

IP Logged
Mario Thorne 86 SAVAGE

Reply #9 - 02/14/04 at 17:33:58

if your guy in sc gets your rigid done i,d love to hear about it and see it.if he can put it together so you can keep the belt drive that would be ideal,if he cant the is a off the shelf chain conversion kit available,for $177 i fount the site by accident and it was in german of course but i emailed them and thier responce was in english.i,m in raleigh nc and would really like to make my 86 into a rigid next year,please keep us up in you project, very interested....currently i,m stripping all the tin getting ready to repaint with black and silver leaf.once its done i;ll borrow a digi camera and make pics available too. keep in touch mario.

IP Logged
Mario Thorne 86 SAVAGE

Reply #10 - 02/14/04 at 17:39:33

how about 40 degree rake 37 in the frame and 3 in the tree,3-4 inch stretch in backbone and same in down tube for that old world chopper look. tall and stretched.
choppers inc.com has some really cool handlebars,i have got lots of web sites in my fav file if you are looking for anything in particular let me know i may be able to save you some time. later dude.mario

IP Logged
Mario Thorne 86 SAVAGE

Reply #11 - 02/14/04 at 17:48:47

hey iron rebel, thanks for the advise.i still think i,m going for the raask drag pipe though.when i bought my 86 it had a harley muffler on it and it just didnt feel right riding a suzuki with hd on my pipe. raask is very pricy but the pipe is sweet and i hear the reviews from other people are very good. excellent chrome in a double wall open pipe. as far a my carb when i tore it apart i found a washer on the jet needle was missing and a washer in the jet itself was also missing,have both ordered now this should be all it needs,but i may go with a mikuni flat side later if i,m still not happy with the bs40.time will tell...talk to yous later, mario

IP Logged
Paulsavage

Reply #12 - 02/14/04 at 19:43:03

Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Lets start a discussion of a Chopper Project here, so that we don't have to hunt and peck for items all over this fantastic Message Board.  Ideas for discussion:  frame building and shops that can build frames for us, front ends, 21 inch wheels, custom body work, seats, handlebars, etc.

Here is a link that may help, pretty reasonably priced. http://www.design-cycle.com/design2003/japanese_rigids.asp

IP Logged
IronRebel
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/15/04 at 07:10:04

Is there a way that photos can be inserted within the posting section? So many people have asked me for info and pics and it's become a "job"...he he he. I'd rathar post for all to see than answer each individual email. Let's see if we can get the site owner to consider.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #14 - 02/18/04 at 10:44:48

You can  post a url of an image  http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/thehoghunter/cs13.jpg

You can also post an image (it's still has to be set up to a url unless you send the image to the hostmaster and he/she tells you the link to get to it on this server) but if the picture is big, it's going to be a pain for those trying to read the forum.

You can set up a free web page at many sites ( angelfire.com is one) to put your pictures on.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:01:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chopper Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.