Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changed the oil tonight. (Read 33 times)
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Changed the oil tonight.
06/02/04 at 22:59:23

Changed the filter and drained the oil.  I had noticed it was quite low and I added quite a bit 2 weeks ago.  It still drained out moderately dark, so whatever was in there before I topped it off must have been in bad shape.

I popped in 2 qts of automotive Mobil1 Syntec 15w50.  After about a minute of running I noticed that the engine seemed less noisy in terms of machinery sounds.  So far so good.  I didn't take it out yet.  I just sat there and listened to it and revved it a little bit.

I've read that some of the newer synthetics can cause clutch slippage.  I may have my own opinion on that tomorrow.  If so, I'll refill with a motorcyle grade synthetic.  

I used to do a "sacrificial" fill, which I drained out a few days later and refilled again.  I always thought this removed some extra sludge hanging in there. On autos, I know this worked since the oil stayed clear much, much longer when I did this.  

Auto oil being much cheaper than MC oil, I figure that if it slips, I'll drain it out and move it over to my 86 Chevy S10! Refill the MC and it should be pretty darn clean on the insides.

What are you putting in your Savage?

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Re: Changed the oil tonight.
Reply #1 - 06/02/04 at 23:47:13

HEY GITARZAN I TRYED B.P. 2000 MOTOR CAR OIL AND MY CLUCTH SLIPED. I NOW USE SHELL SX4 MOTORCYCLE OIL 15W 50 NO PROBLEMS  Undecided

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Changed the oil tonight.
Reply #2 - 06/03/04 at 18:08:22

So far I'm not noticing any clutch slippage. I'm going on a Poker Run Saturday, so I'll know fer sure then.  So far it's A-OK.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 03:04:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changed the oil tonight.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.