Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's been a long time. (Read 108 times)
dsonoma
Ex Member

It's been a long time.
10/29/03 at 20:11:41

Man it's been a long time since anyone has posted anything on this forum.  What's the deal?  Shocked

Anyway, I plan on purchasing a 1997 Savage from a friend of mine in December.  Do you enjoy the highway riding on this bike?  Do you wish it had more power or an extra gear?

IP Logged
High Plains Thumper

Re: It's been a long time.
Reply #1 - 11/17/03 at 00:24:59

I've got an '87.  It has enough power, cruising at 65 mph, it turns a meager 4,400 RPM (I have an electronic tach) at this 4,300 ft. elevation I live at.  It depends what you want.  It's all I need and I am satisfied.  The bike is relatively maintenance free.  As far as an extra gear, mine is the 4 speed.  Only difference between it and the 5 speed (such as the '97) is about 300 RPM's more in 4th versus the 5th.

IP Logged
FitzKid

Reply #2 - 11/25/03 at 17:03:18

One thing I love about my Savage is that I can always figure out what gear I'm in by looking at my speed and listening to the engine revs.  I don't even use the fifth gear most of the time unless I get out on the highway and the range between 4th and 5th is really long.  I've never gone "reaching" for another gear on her whether on the flats or climbing a mountain road.  Plenty of power to pass when needed, even at 65.

Hope you enjoy the bike!

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #3 - 01/04/04 at 17:50:36

I had a great year with my Savage in 2003. Put about 9300 miles on it since I took it out of storage in the middle of last March. Rode from NYC to various places including central PA/Poconos, New Hampshire, Maryland and DC.

I've generally done each of those trips reaching highway speeds of 65-70's, carrying me (at <120 lbs) plus a sleeping bag and packed T-Bag & saddlebags.

I must agree with FitzKid about having the power to pass whenever needed.

Gerry

IP Logged
pa.storm
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/15/04 at 08:09:47

I've taken my Savage on the highway many times.  I try to keep it at about 70mph and even then there is still plenty power left for passing.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #5 - 05/08/09 at 12:33:24

I love my Savage. I think it's more of a around town bike myself, it gets a little buzzy around 70 to 75 mph IMHO. I would like to try out a 887 HD on the interstate to see how it compares. You can't beat the savage for in town cruising.

I have a 03 5 speed by the way.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/08/09 at 18:41:24

I've made a couple of trips on my '08. Each one about 700 miles round trip, oh, and another trip of about 400 miles that was pure interstate. The bike is fine. My sweet spot is about 65mph, above that and I start sucking too much gas hauling my fat arse around.
Do the seat mod though!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 05/08/09 at 21:31:17

Is it thread revival week already?

Sometimes on here you'll read comments about the LS650 needing more power, another gear/lower rpms on the interstate, less buzz, etc.  They start to look at bigger bikes.  But if you go to the other bike sites you'll read the same thing.  M50/C50 owners, Vulcan 900 owners, etc., post the same comments- the bike is buzzy on the interstate, needs another gear, needs more power, etc.  They start eyeballing the VTX 1300 and the V-Star 1100s.  But over on the VTX 1300 and V-Star 1100 sites the owners are saying the same thing as well- want less buzz, needs another gear, needs more power, etc.  It seems just about every bike owner wants less buzz, another gear, more power, etc.  I guess it's just human nature.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 01:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's been a long time.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.