Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages.... (Read 20 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....
11/17/04 at 02:26:45

This isn't really bike related, but since there are many members here from the Pacific Northwest....

Because my wife and I have always wanted to visit Oregon, Washington, or Idaho AND because we'd like to find better employment opportunities...we would like to move.

Would any of you "left coasters" help me out with any suggestions, links, or other info that might be helpful?

Feel free to contact me directly, if you want.  Thanks to anyone, in advance  Cheesy

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Re: Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....
Reply #1 - 11/17/04 at 11:05:56

Tell me what you want to know.  I moved up here November of 2002 to the Puget Sound (Tacoma/Seattle) area of Washington.

Along the coast expect lots of rain...but it is light enough that you can actually ride in it everyday as long as you don't mind getting a little wet.  In the mountains (Idaho and eastern Washington) you get more defined seasons (hotter summers, colder winters).

What type of work are you looking for?

www.seattle.gov
www.wa.gov

(above links have job listings and other basic information on the area).

Traffic is terrible in the area where I live and Seattle is rated as the MOST expensive city to live, in the US (based on a combo of property cost, job opportunities, job advancement, cost of living).  I think Seattle is 2nd or 3rd place for worst traffic in the US (mass transit is piss poor around here...but I use it when I can).

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 11/17/04 at 18:55:14

If you find an opening for a Network Manager in a VA in Oregon, hands off.  It's mine. Angry

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/18/04 at 02:28:44

PRH111 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Tell me what you want to know.  I moved up here November of 2002 to the Puget Sound (Tacoma/Seattle) area of Washington.

Along the coast expect lots of rain...but it is light enough that you can actually ride in it everyday as long as you don't mind getting a little wet.  In the mountains (Idaho and eastern Washington) you get more defined seasons (hotter summers, colder winters).

What type of work are you looking for?

www.seattle.gov
www.wa.gov

(above links have job listings and other basic information on the area).

Traffic is terrible in the area where I live and Seattle is rated as the MOST expensive city to live, in the US (based on a combo of property cost, job opportunities, job advancement, cost of living).  I think Seattle is 2nd or 3rd place for worst traffic in the US (mass transit is piss poor around here...but I use it when I can).

I've heard some of these things about Seattle from others, too.

What is Tacoma like?  Seems smaller with less industry.  And Olympia seems much smaller still even being the capital city.  Since you just moved there 2 years ago, what do you like about the area?

Thanks for the link.  I'll check it out.

Presently I have one interview in Portland with Aerotek.  I work in machinery automation and robotics.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/18/04 at 09:23:30

Tacoma seems to be considered by many locals as the "dirty" version of Seattle.  While Seattle is more of a city that is built upwards, Tacoma seems to be built spread out a bit more.

Down from Dupont and Southwest towards Olympia are nice areas where the housing is much, much cheaper.  Dupont is near Ft. Lewis and roughly at the midpoint of Tacoma and Olympia.  You may also want to check out the Bremerton area (naval base up there with plenty of ship dock related work and naval contracts which may involve your line of work).  Bremerton is on the western side of the Puget Sound and there is a highway connecting Bremerton to Tacoma (hwy 16...heavy traffic though).

Why I like the area:
I put up with the rain because I enjoy the cool weather.  It rarely gets up to 90 in the summer and doesn't get too cold in the winter either.  There are plenty of nearby mountains if you want to go skiing/snowboarding in the winter and hiking in the summer.  I love the trails around here for mountain biking (you can almost ride your bicycle from Tacoma to Seattle on dedicated bike trails).  Once you get away from the city there are plenty of fun twisty and hilly roads for the motorcycle as well.

I was attending U of WA since it is top 10 for comp sci and top 20 for electrical engineering (my major).

Being 1/2 Japanese, I also like how the large asian community in the area makes obtaining Japanese comestibles very simple.

Finally, there is no state income tax and the incredibly high sales tax (8.8%) doesn't apply to groceries.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 11/18/04 at 15:42:00

now let me tell you about the "other" washington.

washington is split in two  by the cascade mountain range. this is both a political and geographicly (sp) split

i concur with what ph says about his side of the state.

on my side of the state it's a desert enviornment. with irrigated farmland, lots of sage and sand.
and mostly republican. the west side is mostly democrats. having said that still most of the states decisions are made by the voters of only 1 of the 39 counties. that being king county.  we too have access to mountain activities, but we have more in the way of sand dunes, lakes.  

while we have no state income tax, we are third  on the list of most taxed states in the country. a high sales tax. the b&O taxes are extremely high, workers comp taxs. all these add up to make owning a business a difficuilt task.

like the savage's we ride we tolorate the problems because the benifits outweigh them.  

if you draw and X acoss the state you will find my residence.  from my back yard i can see over 150 miles to a full view of mt rainer.

on the west side we have almost 300 miles of the most beautiful coastline the planet has to offer.100 miles inland (no it's not on the coast) is the seattle portland corridor.

i have lived in seattle, tacoma, spokane,  i perfer eastern washington.

hope this helps..

this is what i think the state motto should be.
NICE HAVING YOU VISIT, NOW GO HOME.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/19/04 at 13:40:49

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
If you find an opening for a Network Manager in a VA in Oregon, hands off.  It's mine. Angry

There is alot of computer/network type positions to be had on the left coast...not to mention Intel in Portland.

When you get there I'll recognize you by your flaming farts, too  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/19/04 at 13:48:34

Tacoma seems to be considered by many locals as the "dirty" version of Seattle.  While Seattle is more of a city that is built upwards, Tacoma seems to be built spread out a bit more.

I'd heard that, but I wanted another opinion.  Higher crime rate there too.  Thanks.

Down from Dupont and Southwest towards Olympia are nice areas where the housing is much, much cheaper.  Dupont is near Ft. Lewis and roughly at the midpoint of Tacoma and Olympia.  You may also want to check out the Bremerton area (naval base up there with plenty of ship dock related work and naval contracts which may involve your line of work).  Bremerton is on the western side of the Puget Sound and there is a highway connecting Bremerton to Tacoma (hwy 16...heavy traffic though).

Quote:
Why I like the area:
I put up with the rain because I enjoy the cool weather.  It rarely gets up to 90 in the summer and doesn't get too cold in the winter either.  There are plenty of nearby mountains if you want to go skiing/snowboarding in the winter and hiking in the summer.  I love the trails around here for mountain biking (you can almost ride your bicycle from Tacoma to Seattle on dedicated bike trails).  Once you get away from the city there are plenty of fun twisty and hilly roads for the motorcycle as well.

The temps are not much unlike my area of Asheville with the exception of the rain...but we get a good amount of that too, in these mountains.

Quote:
Finally, there is no state income tax and the incredibly high sales tax (8.8%) doesn't apply to groceries.  

Ours is 6.6% but we do have income tax and sales tax on groceries.  So that's $6.60 in tax for each $100 worth of groceries.  That might not be too bad, really.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/19/04 at 13:57:18

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
now let me tell you about the "other" washington.

washington is split in two  by the cascade mountain range. this is both a political and geographicly (sp) split

i concur with what ph says about his side of the state.

on my side of the state it's a desert enviornment. with irrigated farmland, lots of sage and sand.
and mostly republican. the west side is mostly democrats. having said that still most of the states decisions are made by the voters of only 1 of the 39 counties. that being king county.  we too have access to mountain activities, but we have more in the way of sand dunes, lakes.  

while we have no state income tax, we are third  on the list of most taxed states in the country. a high sales tax. the b&O taxes are extremely high, workers comp taxs. all these add up to make owning a business a difficuilt task.

like the savage's we ride we tolorate the problems because the benifits outweigh them.  

if you draw and X acoss the state you will find my residence.  from my back yard i can see over 150 miles to a full view of mt rainer.

So you are north of Max at Moses Lake....gotta love Streets and Trips Smiley

Quote:
on the west side we have almost 300 miles of the most beautiful coastline the planet has to offer.100 miles inland (no it's not on the coast) is the seattle portland corridor.

i have lived in seattle, tacoma, spokane,  i perfer eastern washington.

hope this helps..

this is what i think the state motto should be.
NICE HAVING YOU VISIT, NOW GO HOME.

That's not nice.  Come spend your money, but when you're done, go away.  Got it.  Besides, I've been a "darn Yankee" since I was 14 anyway.

I think that if I could find a really good job in Spokane, I'd rather be headed there, myself.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 11/19/04 at 14:11:39

greg,

actually max and i both are in moses lake, and have gotten together for a short day ride.

see the post  saw the bike now the rider for more info.

i guess i should have put a smiley beside the motto.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/20/04 at 03:56:00

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
greg,

actually max and i both are in moses lake, and have gotten together for a short day ride.

see the post  saw the bike now the rider for more info.

i guess i should have put a smiley beside the motto.

I understood your "tongue in cheek" there.  No problem.

I had read the message and seen the pictures of you and Max...I just have an old "memory bank" and sometimes I prefer not to trust it lest I make an incorrect assumption (without going to the other post first) Smiley

However, it IS pictures like that that have influenced our decision to move to the Pacific NW...so in effect, it IS partially your fault that we'll come to visit and stay  Grin

Besides, I've photographed alot of the Blue Ridge Parkway and now it's time to turn my focus on new scenery.

IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #11 - 11/24/04 at 23:17:13

I was born and raised in the Seattle area. I'm 51 years old, so I've been here a while. When I was a kid, Tacoma was a very smelly place. You practically had to hold yoyr nose when you drove by on the highway. Then about 15 years ago, it was a hangout for lots of gang members, especially in the "hilltop" area. But I have to tell you, they have really cleaned up the city. I really like Tacoma these days. The shut down the pulp mills and cleaned up those sites. They have seemed to got a handle on the gangs to where you don't even hear about them anymore. They have restored lots of old, historical buildings, and made it a much friendlier city, and the work in that direction is still going on. I can take my wife and daughter to my favorite club to hear live music on a Friday night without worry. And though the crowd is more of a blue collar working class than you might see at a club in Seattle, I have never had a problem with these people when I go out to hear some good blues music.
   I would not hesitate to buy a house in many areas of Tacoma, and I think the housing is much cheaper than in Seattle. My daughter goes to college at one of two really good univercitys, UPS (Univercity of Puget Sound), and PLU (Pacific Lutheran Univercity), and likes it very well. Her cousin came here from Kansas to go to school there also, and students come from all over the US.
   I live in a smaller town, Bonney Lake, about 35 miles from Seattle, where I work. I could not afford to live in Seattle, as house are flat out of sight.
   Portland is another possible city in the Pac. N. W. you might consider. Wages are less there, but, I imagin, living costs are less too?

I mainly wanted to give my view of Tacoma here.
   We get lots of rain, but not much snow here on the west side of the mountains. The weather is mild. I have seen loads of people come here from the mid west etc, and they never go home. Then they bring their relatives out here and they never go home. That must say something about this area.

Jon Neet

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/25/04 at 13:42:43

Birdmove wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
   ... They have restored lots of old, historical buildings, and made it a much friendlier city, and the work in that direction is still going on. I can take my wife and daughter to my favorite club to hear live music on a Friday night without worry. And though the crowd is more of a blue collar working class than you might see at a club in Seattle, I have never had a problem with these people when I go out to hear some good blues music.
   I would not hesitate to buy a house in many areas of Tacoma, and I think the housing is much cheaper than in Seattle...I live in a smaller town, Bonney Lake, about 35 miles from Seattle, where I work. I could not afford to live in Seattle, as house are flat out of sight.

I must say that I do prefer bars/clubs in Tacoma as the cost is much less.  I prefer places like Hell's Kitchen though...

Housing in Tacoma is far cheaper than in Seattle.  In fact if your total family income (you and the wife) will be less than $80K a year I suggest staying away from Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, and Newcastle as the same house with 10 times the land can be had for 1/2 the price if you go down to Bonney lake, Graham, Puyallup, etc.

IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #13 - 11/26/04 at 21:13:25

<<
I must say that I do prefer bars/clubs in Tacoma as the cost is much less.  I prefer places like Hell's Kitchen though... >>

My favorite club in Tacoma is Jazzbones. Its near Hells Kitchen, and may be owned by the same people??
   Jon Neet

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 11/27/04 at 02:37:29

I must say that I do prefer bars/clubs in Tacoma as the cost is much less.  I prefer places like Hell's Kitchen though...

Housing in Tacoma is far cheaper than in Seattle.  In fact if your total family income (you and the wife) will be less than $80K a year I suggest staying away from Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, and Newcastle as the same house with 10 times the land can be had for 1/2 the price if you go down to Bonney lake, Graham, Puyallup, etc.

What a minute....wasn't the name "Hell's Kitchen" used in the Spiderman movie?  That was depicted as a crime filled, nasty area too.

I'm enjoying all this feedback on the area, and I'm sorry I've been too busy to visit this site lately.  So far I have 5 job interviews in Portland and Julie has one.  So Portland is the city of our relocation.

Looks like there will definitely be 2 more Savages in the Pacific Northwest after January.  So all you guys keep an eye out for us.  We're going west  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 21:34:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.