Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1986 Savage will not turn over (Read 4 times)
Robert Davis

1986 Savage will not turn over
05/09/06 at 08:09:08

I just received a savage fro free that needs some work. I was able to get it started, but was making a wierd clunking noise, then eventually is stalled with that clunking noise. I then proceeded to do oil change, drain gas and refill, etc. Now it will not start (starter makes a clicking noise, but it is because the engine will not turn). I tried turning the engine by hand using a 17mm socket and I took out the spark plug. It was turning, but with effort, I beleive it should turn nice and easy. I try to push start it, but the bike has some resistance pushing it with the clutch engange and in first gear, then when I release the clutch, the tire skids and the engine cannot be turned over. Any ideas what this can be? I'm thinking it might be the clutch.

Thanks in advance

Rob

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Re: 1986 Savage will not turn over
Reply #1 - 05/09/06 at 10:46:33

dead battery?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #2 - 05/09/06 at 10:59:16

Sounds like it's siezed somewhere! Sad

Just thinking about my early 2 stroke days!
It could be that it has run dry of oil at some point, especially with the clunking sound. You should be able to turn it by hand without much resistance with the plug removed, although don't quote me on that cos I haven't tried on this bike, and I am not a mechanic!
Why was it free and what did the owner tell you?

How much oil came out of the engine when you changed it and was there any signs of metal in it?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 05/09/06 at 11:36:07

86-88 engines have some concerns with a backfire on cranking or shut down breaking off the axle for the starter gear. Also if the cam chain is worn and the tensioner comes apart it will make some noise. I'd consider reading the old posts using the search feature but set the time way back. Both issues are previous topics of discussion. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
stock87
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/06 at 11:45:37

At least try to get the enigine to turn, on a nice size hill pull clutch in, place bike in 2nd gear get some speed going, lean way back on the seat to put some weight on the rear tire, let clutch out fast, see if the engine turns.  if it doesn't your pretty much going to have to rebuild the engine.

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/09/06 at 16:01:47

If you pulled the plug out, it should turn over smoothly with not much resistance when you put a ratchet on it. It sounds seized to me. The nice thing is, the price was right, and it's not really hard to tear down.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/09/06 at 16:17:40

Sounds turminal to me .... Maybe you should let me put it out to pasture........  Roll Eyes     Mine is an 87  Grin    Wait a min... I would get in more trouble,  I then would be blamed for having 2 Mistress's.......     Undecided

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Rob_D
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/11/06 at 09:20:27

Thanks all for your help. After pondering what I should do, I started taking it all apart, and the winner is... Max_Morley. The starter gear that is closest to the flywhell broke off on the crankcase side, but the problem is, the part that hold the gear in is broken (the actual aluminum on the crankcase. Is this engine a piece of scrap metal now??? Can I get just the piece of crankcase on the left side? Has anyone tried to weld aluminum? It looks like I could put it together and I might get one start out of it. What was actually keeping the motor from turning was pieces of the aluminum were getting stuck inbetween the flywheel and crankcase.

Thanks all

Rob

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/11/06 at 10:23:53

The motor I just took out of mine had the same problem (only reason I took it out was for oil leaks).

I had a welder weld aluminum across where the piece broke out and then CAREFULLY filed/grinded the hole round again.

Edit.... Make sure to not fill in the hole completly as you will need part of it to guage from when your filing the hole round again. Very important to not get it crooked or too large.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 07/11/06 at 12:52:52

After you guys have the crankcase welded and the engine closed make sure that the decompression solenoid is actualy opening the exhaust valves.

If the da%%m thing is not adjusted properly or not working there's too much strain on the starter gears and something has to give in , in this case the support on the crankcase.

Models after 91 have the supports beefed up and after 96 there a different gear set-up with a limiter on one of the gears.

If you opt for the later solution you have to buy the other gears, axles and another cover ( or modify the "old" cover.

Check this out:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098969...

Hope this will help
Greetz 8)
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Rob_D
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/13/06 at 08:01:39

klinc, Did the take just the crankcase off of the bike and all of the other parts connected to the crankcase off? I've been told it's going to get too hot when they weld. Another one told me to use JB Weld, but I think it will just break off in a couple of weeks. Also, does anyone know if this gear is turning when the engine is started?

Now the big question is, do I put all my time into this and try to fix and hope that it works or should I give up, sell for parts and pick up a used one for around $2000. To do the repair I'm figuring $50 for all of the gaskets I took off, $10 for JB and then my time for putting it all back together.

Rob

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/13/06 at 10:06:53

My 87 has been welded by a previous owner and its holding up fine......   I pulled the cover off to fix an oil leak and surprise the case has been welded...   Seems to be ok so far...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Derek
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/21/06 at 20:33:55

Your engine is reparable, without welding, inexpensively. I received my '86 with the same problem. I simply drilled a bigger hole, being careful not to drill through to the crankcase wall and I put in the starter idler gear on a new pin with a larger diameter (step) to match the hole I drilled into the engine block wall. Cover the inside bottom section so drilled aluminum does not fall into the crankcase and take the time to pull off the flywheel as the damage debris jams behind the flywheel causing it to appear seized.  I thoroughly tested my work and the engine runs well.

IP Logged
Rob_D
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/24/06 at 16:20:41

Thanks all for your responses, but I already sold some parts on her (In the market place section). I thought it would be too much of a project. With my luck, I would drill right through the crankcase. I already spent so much time with her. Do you know what it was like to push her up on my pickup by myself so I could have the welder look at it?

I'll be looking for another one though. Keep me in mind if you know of another one for sale, I just fell in love with this bike.

Rob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:10:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1986 Savage will not turn over

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.