Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Noise at Higher RPM (Read 46 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Engine Noise at Higher RPM
05/23/24 at 09:13:16

On my 2006 with about 6500 miles, I have noticed that at above roughly 5000 RPM, I'm getting a bit of a rattling sound coming from the engine. I don’t have a tach to know the exact rpm level.  But it starts making a “clattering” noise at an rpm level just below when I would expect to upshift when running it hard.  My guess is maybe the cam chain is making a bit of noise, but at only 6500 miles it leaves me questioning that.

The engine seems to run fine and makes good power.  I know these engines put out a lot of mechanical noise when they run but it doesn’t seem normal. The bike idles quiet and lower rpm levels are quite.  

Valve lash has been done and it’s pretty quite at the top end of the engine. Clearance set in the middle of the clearance range (at 0.10mm or 0.004”).

I did just find the exhaust header bolts rather loose and I’ve torqued those down to 20nm (with anti-seize applied).  Max torque is 28nm dry bolts.  So, with anti-seize, I stayed about 30% lower.  I have not tested the bike since I retorqued the bolts (maybe this is it).

I guess I need to test…. Thoughts though?

Massive flywheel loose, possibly?  Wouldn’t I hear piston slap throughout the rpm range?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Engine Noise at Higher RPM
Reply #1 - 05/23/24 at 09:49:39

“Wouldn’t I hear piston slap throughout the rpm range?“

Not necessarily, years back my engine (after sitting for a prolonged period) developed a little rust around the rings, and when I tried to start it the piston was yanked sideways, and in the process left a small amount of aluminum on the cylinder wall. (Initially I thought the cylinder was gouged but it turned out not to be).
This resulted in the slapping sound being obvious from idle to mid-rpm, with the sound level decreasing as rpm increased.  It was not noticeable at all in the upper range.

The cylinder was ok and only needed a hone after the aluminum was removed, which took a bit.  The piston was badly scored on one side.  The only part I needed was a new piston.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/23/24 at 10:27:04

Check the chrome ring around your headlight, and your speedometer.

Those things can rattle and make you think the noise is coming from the engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/23/24 at 11:26:59

Thanks guys. I don’t like your reason, Lancer!  Lol.

I’m suffering from heat exhaustion after mending fence all day in the heat yesterday.  I’m not up for a ride yet to see if it was the loose headed bolts.  I’m kinda hoping that’s what I was hearing.  This bike only sat up about 9 months before I saved it from barn life.

It’s only in the high rpm range when I’m pushing it.  Don’t push it - problem solved.  I don’t like that solution.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/24/24 at 18:46:07

Mine does something similar, sounds like a little detonation to my ears but who knows wind a single up that tight lots of noises appear.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/25/24 at 05:47:21

Keep the rpms under my age x 100, and we should be fine together!   Shocked Wink

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/25/24 at 10:06:32

Dave wrote on 05/23/24 at 10:27:04:
Check the chrome ring around your headlight, and your speedometer.

Those things can rattle and make you think the noise is coming from the engine.

My old Intruder did that rattle badly. So bad at 1st I was sure the engine had a problem.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 09:13:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Noise at Higher RPM

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.