Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement Fuel Petcock (Read 67 times)
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacement Fuel Petcock
05/17/24 at 10:39:39

I ordered the recommended Yamaha fuel petcock but when I went to install it I found it cuts the reserve fuel in 1/2. Does anyone know of a petcock that will give full reserve?

While I had the stocker off I found the screws for the vac dia loose so who knows maybe its ok now.

« Last Edit: 05/17/24 at 11:52:40 by 04Savage04 »  
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Replacement Fuel Petcock
Reply #1 - 05/17/24 at 12:08:39

Hey 04,

Curious about this -- what do you mean cuts reserve in half? You mean the amount available in the tank? If I'm not mistaken the raptor petcock has two fuel inlets inside the tank, and the reserve Inlet is just a filter without a brass neck that goes right to the bottom unless I'm wrong (changed tanks and no longer use that petcock).

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/17/24 at 13:27:37

Hiya, yeah the factory petcock main tube goes up much higher than the Yamahahahahaha petcock. So you have alot more fuel in the main position but very little when it hits reserve. No easy way to mod it either but I'm going to give it some more thought. If i can find a piece of copper tubing the right size I could cut a longer piece.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/17/24 at 13:38:48

If I remember correctly the copper tube has a filter also. Maybe just obstruct the bottom part of that filter a bit with some petrol resistant material, you know what I mean? Like some kind of gasket material or epoxy just filling a mm or two of the filter mesh on the bottom.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/17/24 at 13:50:33

I might be able to crimp some aluminum tubing over it. I measured the copper tubing 7mm ordered a piece from Amazon will match the stock petcock then install.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/17/24 at 13:55:49

Risky business. I know brass has a better hardness rating than aluminum (I think) but the crimping might be strong enough to crush the brass tube depending on how you intent to approach this. Either way I'm sure the community would appreciate you displaying the mod.

Safe travels brother

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/17/24 at 14:07:35

I ordered copper tubing 7mm will take some pics before and after.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/17/24 at 14:15:50

Surviving Philly wrote on 05/17/24 at 13:55:49:
Risky business. I know brass has a better hardness rating than aluminum (I think) but the crimping might be strong enough to crush the brass tube depending on how you intent to approach this. Either way I'm sure the community would appreciate you displaying the mod.

Safe travels brother
I'm just north of you at the Blue mt ski area..

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/17/24 at 17:45:56

Oh right on bro

I'm down in Port Richmond. I was just up your ways last night actually -- mahoning drive in theater. My girl loves that place, we're thinking about getting married there actually. It's like a half hour outside of Allentown roughly.

I used to work on a farm in Hereford/East Greenville area for a few years before coming back to Philly.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/18/24 at 02:45:19

Bean there many times, Mahoning drive in is a great place.  My 1st wife fell off the back of my Harley there. Prolly still looking for a ride home?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/18/24 at 03:46:12

Here is an old thread I did on the Raptor....unfortunately the photos were hosted on TinyPic and they are gone.  The measurements in the text are still accurate.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/18/24 at 15:03:25

Nice, I need all the reserve where I live you could easily not find gas in 20 miles depending on the day. In fact I think I'm going with a tad more in reserve. I was hitting reserve around 110-115 miles, 100 would be more better. I just fattened the jetting a bit 144main to 148 and opened the pilot just a thous.  See what that gets me mileage wise, it didn't change the performance at all but WOT now when I let off it doesn't surge ahead like it did slightly before. Still backfires like a cannon though. Next I'm going after the backfiring see where I can take it.

Here is a jet size chart if you would like to do your own as I do. I have 2 sets of drills made just for jetting. The pilot drill set is DELICATE and tiny. Nice thing about making your own sizes any size is possible and if you go too big you simply silver solder the hole up and start over. In fact I don't even use the pure silver anymore I just simply use silver bearing solder! I know what else can I say about myself, I'M AMZAZING! <joking of course but if you would like any tips or advice its free for the asking.I've done 100,s of motorcycles over the past 50 years. Did I mention I'm good looking too? HAHAHAHAHA

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/18/24 at 15:42:11

Pilot jet drill set

100_5757.JPG
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/18/24 at 16:14:14

On a side note I just jetted a new CRaftsman 27inch 8.5hp snow blower. It was so lean from the factory it just sat there surging up and down, was ridiculous! You wouldn't believe how much I had to open the main to get it to run steady!(fixed main jet not adjustable) They are really getting carried away with running stuff lean today.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 20:13:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement Fuel Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.