Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only (Read 205 times)
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only
05/12/24 at 10:48:09

Hi, all, 2005 S40 here.
I have perused these forums and tried literally everything I could find concerning this topic to no avil. Here's the ish:

Horn / lights did not work.
Installed new battery.
Horn / lights did not work UNTIL the bike stopped and I tugged the POS cable - it went, and they worked.
Horn / lights did not work. They mysteriously stopped.
Got new handlebars.
Put them on and horn / lights worked.
Adjusted them (pulled em back a little) and guess what stopped.
Read this forum.
Took the seat/gas tank off (put a new plug in while there)
Test - open, reseat - every wire I could see.
Redid the battery cables.

So now the bike sits with tank off and seat off.

Can anyone help?  Huh

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only
Reply #1 - 05/12/24 at 18:01:38

In 2005 Suzuki switched to a system that incorporated two sets of contacts in the starter button switch.  One set of contacts closes when the button is pushed, and the other set of contacts opens when the button is pushed.  The set of contacts that open when the button is pushed provide power to the lights and horn.  This feature is intended to provide more juice to the starter during the start cycle.  It shuts off the lights when you are trying to start the engine.

The power to your lights and horn runs through the starter button switch.  When the button is in the released position, power from the orange wire is connected to the yellow/white wire.  The yellow/white wire runs from the starter button to the multi-connector under the tank, where the yellow/white wire is connected to black/red wire.  The black/red wire hots up the horn and the lights.

Check your starter button switch.  Verify that you are getting 12V at the yellow/white wire when the button is in the released position.  If you are getting power at the yellow/white wire, check the large multii-connector under the tank and verify that you are getting 12V to the black/red wire.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/13/24 at 10:46:12

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/12/24 at 18:01:38:
In 2005 Suzuki switched to a system that incorporated two sets of contacts in the starter button switch.  One set of contacts closes when the button is pushed, and the other set of contacts opens when the button is pushed.  The set of contacts that open when the button is pushed provide power to the lights and horn.  This feature is intended to provide more juice to the starter during the start cycle.  It shuts off the lights when you are trying to start the engine.

The power to your lights and horn runs through the starter button switch.  When the button is in the released position, power from the orange wire is connected to the yellow/white wire.  The yellow/white wire runs from the starter button to the multi-connector under the tank, where the yellow/white wire is connected to black/red wire.  The black/red wire hots up the horn and the lights.

Check your starter button switch.  Verify that you are getting 12V at the yellow/white wire when the button is in the released position.  If you are getting power at the yellow/white wire, check the large multii-connector under the tank and verify that you are getting 12V to the black/red wire.

Thank you for that tutorial - will try when I get home and report back.

IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/24 at 13:55:11

Had to get a new meter - but everything looks ok. Now what?  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/14/24 at 16:42:43

Quote:
Installed new battery.
Horn / lights did not work UNTIL the bike stopped and I tugged the POS cable - it went, and they worked.
Horn / lights did not work. They mysteriously stopped.
Got new handlebars.
Put them on and horn / lights worked.
Adjusted them (pulled em back a little) and guess what stopped.

You got an intermittent problem, it's going to be tuff to find because it works when you do something and it doesn't when you do something else... something that only you know what you did.  This is why it is very important to explain what you did to explore the problem.  Even the little hint that it stopped working when you adjusted the handlebars is important.

Quote:

You said you check the battery cables, I assume the battery terminals were tight and were tight at the relay and ground?

Quote:

Engine running/lights off?  Then engine quit.  You tugged on Pos cable, then it ran and the lights came on?

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/14/24 at 17:11:14

Yes, description unclear.  Odysseus, are you saying the motorcycle starts and runs, but the lights and horn don't work?  That is the impression I get from your description.

I just did a quick & dirty check on mine.  Disconnected the red/black wire from the horn and connected to meter (+).  Connected meter (-) to engine ground.  Key on meter reads +10.5V.  Press start button meter reads 0.0V.  You should do same test.  If you don't get voltage to horn connector with key on and start button released, use the attached diagram to ring the system out.  The circuit runs through both multi-connectors under the tank (right hand and left hand).

Start_Button_Lights_Interrupt.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/15/24 at 09:20:26

You got an intermittent problem, it's going to be tuff to find because it works when you do something and it doesn't when you do something else... something that only you know what you did.  This is why it is very important to explain what you did to explore the problem.  Even the little hint that it stopped working when you adjusted the handlebars is important.

Yes, agree. The bike was at a light and cut off. I simply tugged a little on the POS wire and it fired up.  Tongue

Quote:

You said you check the battery cables, I assume the battery terminals were tight and were tight at the relay and ground?

Yes, correct.

Quote:

Engine running/lights off?  Then engine quit.  You tugged on Pos cable, then it ran and the lights came on?

Yes see above. Thanks.

I will look at your post more clearly as well, Mike, with the schema, thanks, and report back.

IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/18/24 at 12:59:47

Ok, I am starting to track this down. I've traced the wire back to the black and red wire by disconnecting the horn/light mechanism from its position in the box as shown in the pics. There is a general view of the box and a close up of the red / black wire's beginning. The third pic is under the seat. So, from here do I simply track this wire? Because to do that would require cutting open a bunch of tape and black wire coverings.

Binder1_Page_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/18/24 at 13:05:04

Here's number 2 - beginning of b/r wire.

Binder1_Page_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/18/24 at 13:05:57

Here's the under the seat view....

Since it DID work once or twice but failed again, I am now starting to wonder if I have a 20-yr old funky connection that requires cleaning somewhere maybe. Maybe.

Binder1_Page_3.jpg
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/18/24 at 17:47:20

Tried to track it down but still no luck. Could a ground be loose? And if so, where to look? I'm a relative noob at electrical issues here if you can't tell.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/18/24 at 19:10:45

Most connectors have a ground wire, black w/a white stripe as well as frame ground.

The main ground from the battery is attached to the right rear of the engine just behind the oil level sight window.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 05/18/24 at 22:34:42

Odysseus, it is still unclear to me exactly what the problem is.  Can you please answer the following questions with a "yes" or "no".

Your engine runs but the horn and lights don't work?

Your engine does not run, and the horn and lights don't work?

Your engine runs sometimes, and the horn and lights work sometimes, and when you tug on your battery cable it seems to correct the problem sometimes?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 05/18/24 at 22:44:00

If your engine runs but the horn and lights don't work, then you can check to see if you are getting voltage past the starter button by doing a quick and dirty test.  I already mentioned this in one of my prior posts.  This video shows how to do the test.  I think you will see how easy it is.  The switch incorporated into your starter button is pretty wimpy and it gets fouled with rain and dirt.  I have had two of them fail; one on my LS, and the other on my AN.  They both start getting intermittent.  The lights and horn fail to come back on when I release the starter button.  If that's how yours is behaving, if the engine starts and runs but sometimes the lights and horn don't work, do this test.  You can repeatedly press the starter button to verify that the contacts in the switch are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZnMXi0h60

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 05/18/24 at 22:50:54

If nothing works, like the engine won't start and the lights and horn are dead, you might have a problem with your main switch.  Mine left me stranded a few years back.  The contacts in the switch get dirty, then pit.  At first, it's an intermittent problem, but after a while, the bike goes dead.  Mine started to misfire.  I tried to ride home, and it gradually got so bad I couldn't ride it.  Once I pulled over and shut it down, it was completely dead.

You can do a quick and dirty check of your main switch by installing a jumper.  The jumper is just a short piece of 12-gauge wire with two female connectors crimped on.  Like this.

Main_Switch_Jumper.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 22:46:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.