2024 Rides (Read 2811 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #165 - 01/19/24 at 09:00:54

You become more interesting every day Paul. First you say your other bike is a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 and now you say you graduated from UT. Cool. I also graduated from UT back in 1980. Yep, no longer a spring chicken. Well, let me rethink that. If I claim to be a scaredy cat and live in spring ... maybe I am a spring chicken. Grin Grin

Yeah, old man humor!!!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #166 - 01/19/24 at 12:42:44

Dave, I may need to rethink the toy hauler now.  All good to know if we ever make the leap.

Springman, my other bike is only the 750 Shadow Spirit.  It’s big enough at about 525lbs with gas.  Before it, I had the VTX 1300 which became way too heavy and cumbersome for my old arse.  Just backing it out of the garage got to be more than I wanted to deal with.

Yeah, I started at UT but ended up graduating from UofH.  I had way too much fun on 6th street in Austin and running around everywhere!  My dad pulled the financial rug out from under me after too many Bs and Cs (straight A honor student in HS).  Dad knew something was up!  So back home I came and finished at UofH eventually on my own dime working full time and going to school at night.  I screwed up an easy path and did it the hard way!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #167 - 01/20/24 at 03:17:12

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/19/24 at 12:42:44:
Dave, I may need to rethink the toy hauler now.  All good to know if we ever make the leap.

The problem with commercial made toy haulers, is they make the floor really high so that folks with quads and dirt bikes can access the remote locations without dragging and scraping off the underside plumbing.  For those of us who ride street bikes and keep our trailers on pavement the high ground clearance is not needed.  If you shop around you may be able to find one with a low floor height - I just wanted to make you aware that a floor height more than about 16" starts to become a challenge for loading/unloading easily....when the floor get up to 27" it becomes downright dangerous.

When I take trips without the wife, I am fine with using the campground bathroom and sleeping in my trailer.  For about 10 years my trailer was a small 4x8 trailer that was only 4 feet tall.  My Pontiac Vibe could pull it well and I likely have 30,000 miles of pulling that trailer!  I had a foam mattress that I stood up against the wall while the bike was inside, and once I got to the destination I pulled the bike out and parked it under a pop up canopy, then put the mattress on the floor and made my bed.  I had a small battery stick up light, and there were 3 windows for ventilation.  It was a great little camper - the only issue was the low height and a Savage fit fine with the mirrors removed, the F800 required I remove the windshield....my larger bike would not fit as the bodywork was too high.

What you might consider doing is convert a cargo trailer into a simple camper so you can have the low floor height.  You can keep it simple if you want - or get fancier.  There are plenty of videos on YouTube with camper to cargo conversions - just be careful not to make it too heavy (a lot of builders on YouTube have made incredibly heavy trailers.....commercial builders use lightweight materials for a reason).

Traveling in an enclosed trailer works out really well for me.  My bike is secure and out of the weather while I travel, sleeping in a trailer is far more comfortable (and drier) than a tent, with a car and small trailer I can get a pretty cheap rate for camping as I don't need an RV site.....at some of the motorcycle campgrounds I just sleep in the car parking area parked between the other cars/trucks/trailers and it is very quiet at night (it is nice to be able to avoid the more costly RV sites).

Recently I upgraded and sold the 4x8 trailer and bought a 5x10 so that I can put my bikes in without removing the windshield - however my Vibe is no longer the designated tow vehicle.  The attached photo is from 2012 when I drove to Long Island from Kentucky to pick up my Savage - a 2007 with only 262 miles on it!

IMG_0358_005.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #168 - 01/20/24 at 03:25:37

If you want to talk more about a trailer/toyhauler we can open up a thread in the Cafe' section....or we can talk about it in Texas as I will have a trailer there.  The trip to Texas will likely take us 3 days.

If you don't need a bathroom or kitchen and only need to haul the bike and have a place to put a mattress - a 5'x8' trailer is likely all you need.  A height of 5' is adequate for most motorcycles - to get my windshield in on the big bike I needed a rear door height of not less than 54".  For a few years I was able to park my 4x8 trailer inside my garage by parking is sideways along the back wall......my little Vibe was short enough to fit inside the garage with the trailer in front of it.

This is my Vibe with the 4x8 trailer.  It was a good fit for the Vibe and the little 4 cylinder engine - and the Savage.....and it worked for the F800 but taking the windshield off added 20 minutes to the loading/unloading routine.  

BAHP2776_001.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #169 - 01/20/24 at 05:10:49

That’s a nice little trailer right there!  I’m the one that wants a 20’ trailer.  My wife wants something smaller that’s mostly just to sleep in and store an outdoor kitchen.

What I like best about your comment is you traveling from Virginia to NY to get a low milage bike. Makes me feel more normal when I find bikes I want that are several hundred miles away.  For whatever reason, Dallas has more bikes for sale that I like than Houston does.

As I continue to research bikes to find the “perfect” match for me, the more I realize how I ended up buying my first Savage about two years ago!  I wish Suzuki would reintroduce the bike with a handful of changes.  Wish list includes - slightly less rake, rear disc brake, drilled rotors, bigger front disc brake, cast wheels, 6 gears, fuel injected with better head porting, and do anything with the whole battery box set-up!!  I do like the big wide flat torque curve that hits about 85% of peak torque down around 2k rpms and stays above 85% until around 5k rpms.  Don’t screw that up, but a bit more HP and torque would be welcome.  Don’t turn it into a short stroker that needs 8k rpms to do anything!  

Ok, I meandered off course and off topic far enough now!  Back to 2024 Rides!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #170 - 01/20/24 at 06:26:23

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/20/24 at 05:10:49:
As I continue to research bikes to find the “perfect” match for me, the more I realize how I ended up buying my first Savage about two years ago!  I wish Suzuki would reintroduce the bike with a handful of changes.  Wish list includes - slightly less rake, rear disc brake, drilled rotors, bigger front disc brake, cast wheels, 6 gears, fuel injected with better head porting, and do anything with the whole battery box set-up!!  I do like the big wide flat torque curve that hits about 85% of peak torque down around 2k rpms and stays above 85% until around 5k rpms.  Don’t screw that up, but a bit more HP and torque would be welcome.

You can modify the Savage to achieve most of the things you would like.  A cam/piston swap does a lot to wake up the engine - even my 95mm Wiseco and Webcam Stage 1 cam with the stock carb and a Dyna muffler was a big improvement in the available power in the 3,000-4,000 rpm range.  Cast wheels from the GS450/550 can bolt right on with a small amount of machining on the front disc, and you can drill the holes (drum rear brake).  Adding a Kawasaki front pulley does a lot to drop the engine rpm at cruising speed....and if you are really obsessed you can change the rear pulley to a VN750 pulley....my engine is turning 3,500 rpm at 60 mph......4,000 at 70mph.  Longer rear shocks and dropping the front end a bit changes the steering feel significantly.

It all depends on how much you like to tinker to make the Savage suit you better.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #171 - 01/20/24 at 07:13:09

You have an awesome bike, Dave!  Aside from wanting to meet folks, I also want to see y'alls cool rides - like yours!!  I'm not into doing a bunch of tinkering and mods myself.  Lack of skill, tools, and equipment - and I really just don't want to do it (lazy, unmotivated, and I just wanna ride).

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #172 - 01/20/24 at 09:19:17

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/20/24 at 07:13:09:
You have an awesome bike, Dave!  Aside from wanting to meet folks, I also want to see y'alls cool rides - like yours!!  I'm not into doing a bunch of tinkering and mods myself.  Lack of skill, tools, and equipment - and I really just don't want to do it (lazy, unmotivated, and I just wanna ride).

We are more diversified now.   Way back when, it was Savage City.
From the 2015 Hill Country ride.

IMG_20150418_093334sml.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #173 - 01/20/24 at 09:37:48

Why is MM's bike the only one with muddy tires? Huh

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #174 - 01/20/24 at 09:38:02

Great pic, youzguyz!  All Savages/S40s and only one doesn't have a windshield of some sort.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #175 - 01/20/24 at 09:42:32

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/20/24 at 07:13:09:

I would love to bring my Savage down some year - but it doesn't have room for Deb on the back!

For me the time in the garage is my winter therapy.  We got 4" of snow on Thursday night, and temps have been down in the single digits for a week now.  The garage is warm and cozy, and I can while away the winter hiding in my garage and make stuff.  I just finished a set of DragBikeMike's oil pump overdrive.....that took me days!

IMG_2936.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #176 - 01/20/24 at 15:18:59

MM's tires are muddy because he sleeps in most days ... one of the drawbacks of being both retired and lazy ?   Roll Eyes

The high temp today was 18 F. and cloudy , after a 06 F night.
I did take the truck and Marcia and  went to the next town over today.  The drive way has a 4" layer of ice covering it (never before in 28 years here) , it was exciting getting back up the hill !   Smiley

Here's my first LS650 with a VW tire on the back .  145/80-15 
If ya look close you can see the trip odometer hanging from the handle bar area.  Smiley Smiley   Not sure they make this size anymore ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/NXN-11766NXK?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&u...

SavageYellow_001.JPG

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #177 - 01/21/24 at 17:26:13

The one without the windshield is my bike. Funny, I don't remember cleaning the tires.

That yellow Savage with flames was a cool looking bike.

I never finished my grad studies, but I did a few grad hours at UH. Most of the money I gave to UH though will have been for my kids. The fourth one should be graduating from UH this year. That Spirit 750 I understand is a pretty good bike also.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #178 - 01/21/24 at 17:28:24

My Houston brother in law, the one with the Indian called me today to ask if he can bring a friend, another HD. I told him it is probably ok but that I would ask all you guys anyway. Any objections?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #179 - 01/21/24 at 17:51:03

Not from me buddy !   Smiley

I can easily bring a 8'x10' x 72" tent to put in the yard (if need be) and we'll have cot's anyway .

Ten to Twelve is OK with me.    When our column get longer than a 18 wheeler or some won't keep it tight in town is where I've seen problems come from.  

« Last Edit: 01/21/24 at 19:58:08 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 03:01:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.