2024 Rides (Read 2799 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #105 - 12/08/23 at 19:22:38

Yep Dave , every guy loves short women !
But
I've known some fellers who need tall women ?
and
I've known very few women who want to be short !   Grin
After thinking about it ...
It seems to me ... we both married Very Tall Women ?  Roll Eyes

I miss "Back Yard Bill" ... he would have known how to put a video adventure together for us  ?  
I wouldn't know where to begin with anything like that .

Seems to me that if  a Harley can go somewhere then any of our bikes can go to the same places easy , with or without a camera .

I've got one of those "Dash-Cam" cameras' but I've never tried to recover video from it's SD card.   Any of you fellers "Go-Pro" folks  ???  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #106 - 12/09/23 at 03:55:59

MMRanch wrote on 12/08/23 at 19:22:38:
I've got one of those "Dash-Cam" cameras' but I've never tried to recover video from it's SD card.   Any of you fellers "Go-Pro" folks  ???  

I have "crash cameras" on Thumper and The Whale.  When I see something interesting on a ride, I will note the time (and try to remember it) so I can extract it from that video on the SD card and cut out the good parts.  Like this:
https://www.facebook.com/neal.achterhof/videos/3478861622237825

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #107 - 12/09/23 at 07:33:20

Dang Neal !!! Cool

That was a neat trick seeing those Long Horns coming and going !   Cool Cool

Add some cowboys music and that video would be as good as any of them I've seen on U Tube !   Smiley

That would be a 3 -  Cool rating   Cool woops maybe 4 or 5 ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #108 - 12/10/23 at 03:38:26

MMRanch wrote on 12/09/23 at 07:33:20:
That would be a 3 -  Cool rating   Cool woops maybe 4 or 5 ?  

I would have rated it "G" = suitable for all audiences! Smiley

I had a GoPro a few year back - somehow it disappeared and cannot be found anywhere.  I am not sure if I lost it, left it in a camper we sold (I thought we had everything cleaned out), or somebody got into my motorcycle trailer at a campground an stole it.  I have waited a year and it has not shown up anywhere in the house or garage.

The GoPro is a bit fiddly with settings and the microphone is not all that great at speed.  You can put some foam over the microphone to help reduce wind noise - the newer models may be better than the model I had.  The newer ones also have better stabilization, and can even be set to keep the horizon parallel so you can lean over in a turn and the image stays level and shows the lean angle!

You can buy a GoPro Subscription for $24.99 for the first year, it is double that every year thereafter.  It has some very nice features that may be worthwhile if you use your camera frequently and like having videos.  One nice feature is that after you have been on an event and taken a series of videos......they will assemble a video by combining little sections of the footage and putting them together.  You can then choose the music and other features of the video....it makes you look like a real professional when you send it to your friends!  The subscription also sends your videos directly to the CLOUD for storage.

Owning/operating/editing videos from a GoPro is a bit of a technical issue and does require you to learn a lot about how it operates.  I can post videos that I have taken - but editing and cutting and combining videos is not a skill I have learned.  Learning how to do that is going to take a considerable amount of time away from my other projects.....it is a hobby just like fishing or hunting or riding - it is not something you will acquire without some time and dedication.  Learning to operate a GoPro takes quite a few hours of study and practice......learning to use the editing programs is incredibly time consuming if you are not already familiar with that kind of work.  Those 20 minute Harley videos that are edited, narrated and fun to watch likely took them 30 hours to put together!

When I first got my GoPro we had a slow internet service.  Downloading 10 minutes of video to YouTube could take 6 hours or more - I had to do it overnight while we were sleeping.  They got rid of the copper telephone lines in our area and hooked us up to the fiberoptic lines....we now have much better internet speed.

When you post your videos on YouTube - the quality of the video will be reduced and your nice clear videos will get a bit grainy.  There are settings you can change when you post the video to ensure that YouTube does not lower the image quality - I did not know the trick when I posted my videos and they are not good quality.

Here I am following Stewmills and MMRanch on the Tail of the Dragon 6 years ago.  You can see the poor image quality that YouTube applied to the video....and hear the crappy sound that happens without any kind of a wind sock around the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-2kNjUHsE

« Last Edit: 12/10/23 at 08:00:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #109 - 12/10/23 at 21:55:03

Dang Dave ...

I thought you were about to catch me ...  !   Grin

It could have been that , I was saved by the battery running out !   Huh Huh

It appeared that you and Stew was "Apexing" those corners just fine and that muffler seemed tuned just about right too .   Smiley

I'm kind of itching to see if the Meteor 350 (after improvements) will have enough power to pull out of the corners like that ?  

It will never be an RD350 or even a CB350 , but last year is was lacking just so little  ... in being just enough .  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #110 - 12/11/23 at 14:36:20

Well it wouldn't be much of a video is the camera fellow passed everyone and just had open road ahead of him!

Yep - the torque of a good running Savage is definitely a lot of fun on the Dragon!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #111 - 12/11/23 at 18:35:22

Yep - the torque of a good running Savage is definitely a lot of fun on the Dragon!  

Yep !  

I've thought about my old one and why the fuel millage had dropped off so much .  
The Valves must have been too tight ?   May-be ?  
But
Sometimes , I wonder if I could have got the fuel millage up near the 70mpg neighborhood from the LS650 , Without loosing too much of that torque that feels so good !  

I've never put a "Performance Cam" in a motor before .
I keep thinking of "OldFeller" getting 80 miles to the tank full and talking about his "Performance Cam !  Roll Eyes
From what information I've gathered on the RE350 Performance Cam , the higher RPM is where the biggest difference is and low in the RPM ban the great fuel millage is still avaible.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #112 - 12/12/23 at 02:06:46

Getting 70mpg with a Savage that has a windshield and saddlebags and a stock low 8.5:1 compression piston is not likely a reality.  I did get a bit over 70mpg on my Cafe' bike just once - I was riding with some folks who slowed down for every corner, never went over the speed limit and never passed anyone...and most of the trip was back roads at 40mph or less.  You are not a fan of working on carbs and swapping jets or slide needle washers......it very well could be that some jetting changes on your bike could have improved things.

Modern motorcycles and cars get good mpg by using higher compression ratios  (Royal Enfield Meteor 9.5:1, Honda CB500F 10.7:1, BMW f800 12:1) - and the fuel injection is able to keep the fuel/air mix at an optimum ratio for efficiency......and then change the ratio when power is needed.  These higher compression ratios and leaner mixtures are also a reason that motorcycles are using water cooling, as the increased compression ratios and leaner mixtures can make engines run hotter.

A Savage in a good state of tune will likely be able to obtain around 60mpg when ridden conservatively - I get up near that number when I ride the back roads around my house.  When I have been chasing you and Oldfeller around the mountains I have dropped down around 48mpg a few times!  Your friends on Fuelly get horrible mpg on their Savages....I suspect they go on short rides around the city from the looks of their horrible mpg!
https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/savage_ls650

If you put in a performance cam and use the available power - most likely your mpg will drop a little bit.  The cam allows the engine to move more air through the engine - and more air requires more fuel....and the result is more power.  It may not be a big difference - but there will be some change if you are using the extra power.....at steady state cruising on flat ground there may be very little difference - but using the new power to climb a grade and muscle out of the turns will use more fuel.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #113 - 12/12/23 at 17:29:18

Sometimes , good fuel millage has to go by the wayside ...  Roll Eyes

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #114 - 12/12/23 at 17:36:48

I've been ridding the 650cc a little .   The first tank full returned 63mpg , but the engine is new and feels really tight.  The 350 felt the same way for about the first  4000 miles.  
Any body else buy a new one and experienced the same thing ?

« Last Edit: 12/15/23 at 18:57:52 by MMRanch »  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #115 - 12/14/23 at 14:36:56

verslagen1 wrote on 12/14/23 at 11:19:16:
I got some more info on the ranch house.
3 bedrooms, 1 queen, 1 full, 2 twins, and a sleeper sofa. Linen provided. Kitchen and 2 baths.

So if we decide on the ranch house, we need to figure out sleeping arrangements before we go.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #116 - 12/14/23 at 16:50:14

I can sleep on a cot if need be  , they weigh 21 pounds each .

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/sleeping-gear/cots/teton-spo...

I'm ridding with Lancer ... so ... I could put two of them on the bike since I'm not bring a tent .    Then Lancer's truck don't care if we have cots or not ?

Two cots on rear seat , Duffle bag and Sleeping bag on top of them.   Not too aerodynamic but it could work .  

I've got 6 of them cots in the attic (leftover from Boy-Scout days) , but I can't haul but two on the bike.  ????   I guess I don't have enough Asian blood in me ?   Smiley

I'm in "Awe" with those folks and how much they can pile on !   Wink

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #117 - 12/14/23 at 16:59:03

I can bring a cot, just can't sleep on it.   Roll Eyes

So... Ranch House?

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #118 - 12/14/23 at 17:41:52

I'm with you fellers !   and the Ranch house is OK  with me.

Only 5 beds and eight people ... we need two more cot people.

I used to have a folding bed till some oversize little brat tried using it for a trampoline .   Maybe someone else has one ?

Anyone have an air matrices , come to think of it I have a twin size ... maybe I should just bring that instead of lugging a cot around ?   A 12 volt pump and matrices is a lot lighter and smaller than a cot.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #119 - 12/15/23 at 04:07:16

I have a nice cot with an included mattress I can bring and use.  Since MM and I are “trucking it” bringing it is no problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 00:32:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.