Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Rotella Shortage?
10/24/21 at 03:45:35

Yesterday I changed oil, and when I went to my oil shelf I discovered I didn't have enough.  I usually have a gallon or two on hand - but a couple of months ago when I was in Tractor Supply they didn't have any Rotella in stock.

So I rode up to O'Reilly's and found none.  I tried Tractor Supply which is next door....none.  I drove to Walmart and Auto Zone and found nothing.

Finally I found one single bottle at Meijer's.

It appears there is a Rotella Shortage and when I checked online - other had started to notice this in May 2021.

I am going to look at some truck stops and see if I can find Rotella.  Riding season is about over so I am good for this year - hopefully the supply will be restocked by next spring.

Rotella_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Rotella Shortage?
Reply #1 - 10/24/21 at 09:03:24

Thanks Dave,

I saw your post this morning while I was drinking my morning coffee. I had to go to the grocery store a little while ago, so I swung by the Advance Auto Parts store on my way. I bought the last 1 gallon jug of T4 that they had. There were three 1 gallon jugs of T6 on the shelf. That's it. No quart jugs of either T4 or T6, Last time I bought oil there, that rack was full.

The other racks with the normal gasoline engine oils didn't look as well stocked as they normally do either, so it may not be just Rotella.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/24/21 at 09:18:27

Ironically, I have 3 gallons stored next to my 24 rolls of TP in my laundry room...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/25/21 at 01:53:58

Last trip to tractor supply, if they had any Rotella, it wasn't what I wanted.
Not sure what it was, but it was in a 2.5 gallon jug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/25/21 at 02:27:42

I sometimes buy the 2.5 gallon jugs, and a few times I found some 5 gallon pails.  Most often the single gallon jugs were a better bargain.  Pouring the 2.5 gallon jugs into a motorcycle is also a bit cumbersome - so I keep enough gallon jugs around to allow me to move the oil into the jugs.

I just changed oil in the tractor and 1 bike - I need another gallon or two to get the "Pre-Winter Storage" oil changes completed.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #5 - 10/25/21 at 10:26:42

The local Wal-Mart was completely out of T6 and almost out of T4 a month or two ago when I needed oil for the Vision. However, the wife and I did a road trip this weekend and, when I checked at the truck stops we stopped at, they seemed to have plenty. Maybe Shell is shipping more to the truck stops and less to the regular stores.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/25/21 at 11:45:00

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will buy a couple of gallons, if available, this week.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 10/25/21 at 15:32:59

Has anyone looked into Kirkland diesel oil from Costco??

I was there today and noticed they had it.  Might have been cheaper in the store.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-heavy-duty-diesel-15w-40-motor-oil-...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-kirkland-15w-40-diesel-engine-o...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/26/21 at 14:23:47

In order to get more Rotella, I had to order it online from Tractor Supply and have it shipped to the store for "curbside" pickup.

Or - Amazon would have shipped me a box with three 1 gallon jugs for about $80.

This will hopefully last me until Rotella is back on the store shelves.

If you see some in the store and don't have a supply at home - buy a gallon!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 10/28/21 at 23:17:24

Just checked, down to my last 2 qts, good for 2022!
Cheers! no cool emojii

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 10/31/21 at 12:18:50

A while back I noticed my local Home Depot carried Rotella.  Just ran an errand there, and they're out, too.  I'll need to go by a couple Wally Worlds and look for it.  The couple near me show "out of stock" online.  Dang.  Gonna need it soon.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/31/21 at 13:09:39

Thinking of you Dave, so I bought a gallon of Rot4T.
Around a dozen more on the shelf in the local wallyworld.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 10/31/21 at 15:10:47

Hi guys  Smiley

Hay , was it the z??pp something  that got us on the Rotella thing in the first place ?    I have to use T6 after experiencing the difference.   I'm thinking other companies make good oil too.   Huh

Dave , I started using the 0-w20 oil in the truck and MPG did go up .  
Ya think it might work on the Savage too ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/31/21 at 16:14:57

Your truck was made to run 0W-20....and it has babbit bearings.  The clearances in the engine are made specifically for the oil that they recommend in the owners manual...and on the oil filler cap.  You really should run the weight of oil they made the truck for - at least until you get a couple hundred thousand miles on it.

Your Savage was made to run a thicker oil....and it has roller and ball bearings (except for the cam).  You can run 5W-40, 10W-40 or 15W-40 in the cooler months......and if you want you can run 20W-50 when the temperatures are really hot.  The "W" rating really doesn't mean much if you are only running the engine in warmer temps - if you don't ride your bike in freezing weather the winter rating doesn't really affect how your engine starts.  Once the engine is started and warmed up the "W" rating is meaningless.

And......adding thick STP or Lucas really won't extend the life of your engine any noticeable amount.  Modern oils are really good at what they do and they really don't need any additives.

I looked at Mobil1 in O'Reilly's today - the darn stuff is $34.99 for a 5 quart jug!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/02/21 at 03:47:46

I was able to get stocked up on Rotella yesterday and I am stocked up for 30,000 miles......give or take a bit.

My online order at Tractor Supply got me a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs of 15W-40, and on the way home I stopped at Walmart and they had a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs of 5W-40......both places were $56 for each jug.

Walmart had the Mobil1 at $22 for a 5 quart jug - significantly cheaper than the $35 at O'Reilly's! I will buy a couple of gallons of that as Deb's car.

O'Reillys carries Wix oil filters and if you watch the YouTube videos where folks cut oil filters apart and inspect them - they are built much better than most filters......and when I put the Wix filter on my Vibe it was the exact same filter as the Bosch that came off.  For years I was buying the Fram filters - they are very poorly made and I won't use them anymore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 13:02:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rotella Shortage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.