Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki recommended change up speeds. (Read 251 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Suzuki recommended change up speeds.
03/13/17 at 11:32:46

Thinking about the speeds for changing up as recommended by Suzuki.
What I think Suzuki has in mind, the speeds are "minimum" speeds and are calculated. If one compensates for the known speedometer error the speeds do work out to be the minimum. When I ride my Zuki the speeds I use as a minimum are about 30 for third 40 for fourth and 50 for fifth.

I have noticed that other Japanese vehicles recommended speeds that seemed very low compared to the way most people drive/ride.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Suzuki recommended change up speeds.
Reply #1 - 03/13/17 at 11:58:06

I agree, they're probably minimum recommendations. I ignore them.

I installed a tachometer on the bike so I could see what my changing rpm was like compared to the feel of the bike. I learned I was changing too soon anyway. I give it a bit more now. It's almost impossible to over do it on the S 40.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 03/13/17 at 13:16:54

All these manufacturers have to satisfy various ecostapo, greenpolice type organisations who are paranoid about emissions, fuel economy and so on, so the manufacturers choose the most conservative approach.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 03/13/17 at 16:51:30

I don't pay any attention to the "recommended" speed. I just shift when it feels right.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 03/14/17 at 01:18:46

I have an el.cheapo tachometer fitten on the bars and would never ride a bike without one.

I generally cruise within the 2500-3500 rpm range, highway cruise 4000 rpm.

In speeds, 4000 rpm means 50mph in 3rd, 60+mph in 4th.
IIRC 4500rpm 4th gear is 70mph but that's a tad too fast for me, no windshield and wide drag bars.

The truth of the matter is the Savage is not designed for long-range highway cruising.
It'll do it, but it's not designed for that, it's designed for medium-fast (45-60mph) 2-lane cruising.
That's where you get the most fun.

So whenever I have a choice, I prefer cruising at 50-55mph on a 2-laner to cruising at 60mph on a 4-laner.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 03/14/17 at 04:09:09

I also sit on about 4000 rpm on the highway. That translates to about 100 km per hour, which is the speed limit on most major highways here in Australia.

At lower speeds I generally don't go below 3000 rpm. I'll change down if I have to to keep the rpm up.

2500 rpm always feels to low to me.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #6 - 03/20/17 at 07:16:18

I tried using those speeds when I first started riding (without knowing about the speedo error), and the engine really didn't like it. It doesn't help that, with full riding gear on a cold day I'm nearly 300lbs...

I got almost up to 20 before hitting second gear, then 30 for 3rd, about 45 for 4th and 55 for 5th.

I'll second that, like so many other things, they have to write the manual to make the bike look like it will run at a nice low RPM (less emissions!), even if it will run like crap at those speeds in those gears.

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/20/17 at 09:08:32

I see those guides as
Any sooner and you're lugging it..
Anyone who would actually change into third
At thirty, and climb a five block long grade, without accelerating quickly and getting the engine spinning and breathing, doesn't really understand how to keep a machine alive.
If I couldn't hear the exhaust at lower speeds I wouldn't know what to do.
And the grade that keeps me from upshifting, allows that gear change at lower speeds, when im going down it.
Who would actually change into third at thirty if they were bucking a forty mile an hour head wind?

The guidelines are for reasonably level, calm conditions, average loads, change a variable, adjust as needed.

I swapped front pulleys, so, now when I hit
30 MPH on the speedometer, I'm actually at about 32.5, but, the engine RPM is where it was when the guidelines said, okay, you can shift now, but if I do shift , I'm shifting into a
Climbing a hill type load. Because I am geared higher.
It's taking some time, the Forty MPH limits are a bummer, unless it's downhill or good wind at the back..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 03/20/17 at 12:26:54

JOG, that's an interesting point you make about being able to hear the exhaust. When I first got the bike I was riding at lower rpm, and with the stock exhaust at low speed, I thought the engine had cut out. It was basicallyg silent!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 03/20/17 at 17:58:34

30 mph in 3rd gear feels good on my bike. There's a short stretch on the highway about a mile or two long that drops to 30 mph. I'm not lugging the engine but I'm also not climbing any hills. It's just a slow gentle cruise and the bike is happy there.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/07/17 at 19:17:27

I generally ignore the factory shift point.  The engine always tells me what it whats.  No two are the same especially after some mods.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/09/24 at 05:02:29

The manual basically recommends the minimum speed.  “Short shifting”, any speed/rpm below the rpm/speed where max torque and acceleration is achieved and “optimal” shift point for maximum acceleration through the gears and up to desired speed.  

Road and load will tell you when you are lugging the engine and should be in a lower gear.  I do a lot of short shifting without lugging it - better gas mileage, it’s how a slow cruiser “should” be ridden, and it keeps my rather loud exhaust a little less obnoxious.  Plus I just like getting up into 3rd/4th gear where I can just ride and not be going up and down through the gearbox.  The Savage/S40 may not be fast, but between the wide power band of the motor and wide ratio gear box, you can really do the “easy rider” well, have fun, and enjoy the scenery.

The guide kinda makes more sense for downshifting since the Savage doesn’t have a nifty slipper clutch to keep you from “barking the rear tire” if you downshift too soon because you’re going too fast. It’s one thing if you’re kinda planning and ready for it - it’s a totally different story if you do it accidentally and aren’t ready (like when you accidentally downshift 2 gears at once instead of just 1).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/09/24 at 07:12:43

Slow day? Huh

Why else would you open up a 7 year old thread! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/09/24 at 12:20:30

Exactly Dave!  Some topics deserve resuscitation!  I'm not sure why I felt compelled to comment.  I know a couple of people that commented 7 years ago are still around.  I wonder how many of the others got an email notification that the topic they've been following has a new comment?  I wonder if I woke anybody up from 7 years ago.   Shocked

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #14 - 02/12/24 at 20:54:15

I think huge gaps in a thread's timeline are cool as heck.  It's like a window into the past.  It irritates some people, and I never understood why.  What else do we have to talk about?

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 06:03:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki recommended change up speeds.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.