Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
New bike, New member, New forum, New project (Read 1604 times)
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New bike, New member, New forum, New project
Reply #15 - 02/27/17 at 13:20:37

Front pulley was loctited on too. There's not enough clearance behind it to get a puller on it centrally. Luckily it's not as hard as a sprocket so i drilled and tapped 2 holes in it and used a milling clamp as a puller to draw it off.

IMG_20170227_182348854.jpg
  IP Logged
Saltracer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/28/17 at 12:09:10

Nope Dave Friend, Jones& Friend Funnybike

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/28/17 at 13:00:01

Saltracer wrote on 02/28/17 at 12:09:10:
Nope Dave Friend, Jones& Friend Funnybike

Ahh... Hiya Dave. I take it you just bought one of these bikes too then?
Do you see much of Gary? It was Gary that told me 9yrs ago that i should come and race in comp bike while talking to him at the euro finals as a spectator. A lots happened since then!

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/28/17 at 13:07:10

Got the bike stripped down now. Some shocking things you discover when taking a bike apart, bodges, wrong fasteners, stuff just assembled wrong. and nearly every bolt on the whole bike loose apart from that front pulley!

eee91930-4538-4b53-a9ad-c26595b4d7fe.jpg
  IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/28/17 at 13:08:48

just the frame and swingarm.

I will try and get the frame jig setup this weekend and get the engine mounted in that first.

4d32df0f-8664-43a4-8784-a7db10ef2297.jpg
  IP Logged
Saltracer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/28/17 at 14:17:53

Hi Phil, yeah I bought one for my wife, going to bobber it, there are some pics on here under UK SAVAGE
I did see your's advertised i think on gumtree.
Yes I still see Gary but mainly its phone calls as its quite a drive.
You have done really well with the racing Phil. I still follow it via Eurodragster,  miss the social side & our agreement when we teamed up in 94 was if it's not fun for either of us then stop. For me I just got fed up with rain offs, travel etc.
Look forward to seeing your build on here, ours will have new custom fenders & fuel tank plus exhaust, the white wall tyres have arrived today so I will fit them before the weekend  

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/02/17 at 10:43:35

I'd read that thread and not noticed the username, can't be many saltracers out there. Is that what your doing instead now then?

And yep it was on Gumtree for twice what i actually paid for it. It wouldn't start so i wouldn't pay more than i would for a scrap bike.

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/02/17 at 10:51:27

I love an excuse to buy another die for the tube bender. And making this savage chop is it. A 1inch die arrived from the states yesterday, and the T45 tube also arrived.

As did a bit of 60mm seamless tube to make the headstock....

IP Logged
Saltracer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/02/17 at 12:58:07

Yeah always wanted to race at Bonneville since I was a kid. That's what got me into dragbikes, been twice now but its a lot of money to do it including building the bike.
Should have called Gary we have JD Squared bender & dies, are you building a rigid frame then Phil? ours is chain drive using GS550 1980 sprockets I think with a spacer behind the engine sprocket

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/02/17 at 13:46:59

Whats the bike you race on the salt Dave?

I have a protools bender, and dies are not available here anymore, i got this die at a good price however. It's a shame but the JD2 dies don't fit and vice versa.

It will be hardtail yes, and i'm going to stick with the belt hopefully. After a little research it seems the belt is a standard affair just an odd length. So as i'm building it longer i'll choose a longer belt and build it to fit. Dead cheap too the belts, £60 odd quid.

IP Logged
Saltracer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/02/17 at 14:16:39

Built a 1981 GSX ET with a 1327cc motor made 178bhp aspirated at the rear wheel no nitrous. There was a nitrous system fitted but not used on the salt, it run 165mph at 4,600 ft above sea level on the first set of gearing i had, it was bang on the red line as calculated. Then hit electrical issues that caused problems but it run everyday of Speedweek.
Shame that the dies are not interchangeable, yeah belts are clean & quite to run as opposed to chains. Are you using the standard forks & yokes or going with usd's?     

flats_1.jpg
  IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/02/17 at 15:06:03

Ahhhhhh..... a lot of things just clicked into place when i saw that picture. I have seen the bike before but just didn't know that was yours. Was on speed dreams on BBC2 as well.... yep, that makes sense now!

Great looking bike and really good performance too fella, the GSX is just legendary. I'm also on ET cases and crank, just EFE head.
Whats the plan for it next time?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/02/17 at 17:30:02

Um, well, um, ah....well, I guess the rest of us should just be flattered you two at least consider our bikes worthy for your wives.  LOL  

I got my bike up to 80 mph once.   Undecided

IP Logged
Saltracer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/03/17 at 00:00:46

Hey Ohio just join to motors together then wack the throttle to the stop Wink .
The salt bike engine is EFE bottom end ET bronze skulled head with Web cams. Not sure about what is next, I might sell the motor its all in boxes in the garage now or just part it out

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 03/12/17 at 11:54:31

Saltracer wrote on 03/03/17 at 00:00:46:
The salt bike engine is EFE bottom end ET bronze skulled head with Web cams. Not sure about what is next, I might sell the motor its all in boxes in the garage now or just part it out

So your not taking it back to the salt then? What size valves in the skulled head?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:36:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New bike, New member, New forum, New project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.