Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
New bike, New member, New forum, New project (Read 1604 times)
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New bike, New member, New forum, New project
02/24/17 at 13:25:10

Hi folks
For some time now i've wanted to build a super simple, single cylinder chopper, traditional lines and looks but with a big single engine. I've been on the lookout for a suitable donor bike for ages, any air cooled 600 or larger trail bike (suzuki freewind was a hot favorite) or a LS650. And guess which turned up first?
I've not built a chopper before, but always wanted to, and i really need to make uses of some of the kit i have acquired over the last few years.
So this is what i've bought... It didn't want to start (but did breifly fire up) when i went to buy it so it was very cheap. I don't suspect theres anything seriously wrong.

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New bike, New member, New fourm, New project
Reply #1 - 02/24/17 at 13:35:56

Couple more

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New bike, New member, New fourm, New project
Reply #2 - 02/24/17 at 13:39:34

I'm building a frame from scratch so i can get the geometry and look i want. It will be T45 tube, bronze welded, hardtail of course. Using Savage motor, forks and wheels. I love the belt drive, i'm sure someone can tell me if longer belts are available? The bike will be much longer than stock and i'd like to keep the belt.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: New bike, New member, New forum, New project
Reply #3 - 02/24/17 at 16:44:58

Funny bike Phil!  Grin

Longer belts are not available as far as I know but you can convert to chain.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1174239333

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/24/17 at 19:58:57

A belt off a Kawasaki model would be a few inches longer .but the neck angle of these bikes is 35 degrees and making the wheel base longer might make a u turn a four lane event.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/25/17 at 02:37:07

If you want a longer belt....you can get one.  As mentioned there are a few Kawasaki models that used a belt, and they may be a little bit longer.  You can also find somebody that will sell you a Bando belt in any length you want....they don't come cheaply.  

http://www.bandousa.com/

I believe the stock belt is 133 tooth.  Not sure what the Kawasaki KZ750, EN454 or other models are.  You can use a Kawasaki KZ750 sprocket on the back and the pulley is smaller - and that will get you some additional slack....probably only a 1/2 inch or so.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/25/17 at 03:20:04

Kris01 wrote on 02/24/17 at 16:44:58:
Funny bike Phil!  Grin

Haha ...Possibly not as funny as it sounds -  i race a dragbike in the UK in a class called Funnybike  Wink

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/25/17 at 03:24:49

Thanks for the info on belts, i've come across a place in the Uk that does cutom belts as well but can't remember what it's called.
I'm looking at stretching the back end by 6-10inches, but until it's all in the frame jig and i can get some drawings done i'm not sure.

I'm going to have a lot of savage parts that aren't needed, i'll post in the for sale section at some point.

I tooks some bits off earlier, is the exhaust downpipe double skinned it's entire length? Huge pipe for such a skinny little ex port.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #8 - 02/25/17 at 09:23:23

Double walled all the way to just shy of the muffler where it necks down.  I sliced mine in half the entire length on the bandsaw just to see what the inside looked like.

If you want the engine to breath you need to open that exhaust port where it is dammed up just at the exit of the head.  If you want engine performance check the tech section.  It is all laid out there.  Basically the engine starves for flow on the top end.  If you want better plan on, changes to let it breath.  Better carb (VM or TM), Cam (3-4 to choose from), Port the exhaust dam, open the header size slightly if desired, and change out that snuffer of a muffler.  I did all of that in my build.

WWW   IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/25/17 at 12:54:10

Again, thanks for the info. I'm not too bothered about performance, but if i have it in bits i will do some tweaks. I have lots of spare nitrous parts if it needs perking up a little  Grin
I don't envisage myself riding it much to be honest, the mission brief is that it looks cool and is fun to build. And thats it. However, saying that - in my book unless it's functional it doesn't tick all the boxes.

From looking at other savage projects i can see one of the issues is not being able to use a proper single backbone due to the carb top being in the way and the frame having to split round it. By building a chassis from scratch i'm hoping that by moving things around a bit i can clear it with a straight run of tube.
The front of the engine is also an issue if you want twin downtubes as the exhaust is right in the way. I need to ponder that some more  Undecided

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #10 - 02/25/17 at 13:11:48

As far as the exhaust goes you can take a look at my build to see one way of snaking around the frame.  The key is do it in a way that from the side still looks right.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378864265/30

WWW   IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/26/17 at 12:56:49

How the flippety flip do you get the front belt pulley off? The nut was bad enough, covered in loctite it was a pig. I suspect the pulley has had the same treatment... it won't budge.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 02/26/17 at 21:13:31

You might try a little heat,(torch) that should release what ever was used on the splines.(gear puller if you can fit it would also help)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Saltracer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/27/17 at 03:34:24

Must be a UK dragracer thing buying these bikes eh Phil Grin

IP Logged
FunnyBikePhil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/27/17 at 13:15:54

Saltracer wrote on 02/27/17 at 03:34:24:
Must be a UK dragracer thing buying these bikes eh Phil Grin

Oh....umm.. let me guess.. Steve F?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 15:15:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New bike, New member, New forum, New project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.