Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winter 2016; first bobber build plans (Read 224 times)
Jarry63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winter 2016; first bobber build plans
10/04/16 at 20:15:53

Hello all,

I found this site about 6 month's ago and have been leaching information for my bike as a guest.  I finally registered a couple days ago and want to say this is an great forum for all the S40 owners. Thanks.  So, I picked up an 07 S40 last year for a cheap commuter to work.  I have alot of friends with HD's and can appreciate them, but this little Suzuki is fun.  It's been a really nice low maintenance bike and has really grown on me.  Bottom line is I've decided to do a bobber conversion this winter.  I can mechanic decently and have most tools I'll need, short of welder.  I can burn bead with a stick welder, (it'll hold), but it'll be ugggglllyyy.  Having said that, I am planning to make most conversions bolt on attachments with limited welding work.  I would like to list my plan of conversions and equipment below and see if any of you more knowledgeable folks see any major issues or potential problems.  Ok, here's the list and thanks in advance.

Basically I'm looking to do a build like the Blue Collar Bobber kit.  Two exceptions;

1. I want to replace the rear tire with a 140/90/15 tire (so I'm looking to buy a fender that will fit the larger size and welding mounting tabs to the swing arm.  (the only welding I'm planning)

2. I'm not sure I want to cut the frame at the passenger seat.  I'm thinking of mounting the solo seat and leave the frame as is and use the extra frame area to mount my turn signals.

Here's a list of parts I've looked at online:

a. Drag bar; Blue Collar Bobbers
b. Drag pipe; Blue Collar Bobbers
c. Front tire; Dunlop K70 3.25-19 ( I would like a wider tire, but I         haven't decided yet)
d. Rear tire; Dunlop D404 140/90-15
e. Tail light/Lic plate bracket; TC Bros, mounted to lower right shock mount.
f. Shocks; Progressives 412 series, 11.5 inch
g. Rear Fender; either trailer fender or one from RYCA, front fender gone
h. Larger headlight: not sure of brand or style yet

« Last Edit: 10/04/16 at 23:21:46 by Jarry63 »  
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Winter 2016; first bobber build plans
Reply #1 - 10/05/16 at 04:47:32

Sounds like a plan. When you take the seat off , you'll find there's no passenger seat subframe as such. The rear mudguard and seat unit is cantilevered from the frame under the rider's seat. I never cut the seat horns off either. Too lazy. I used them to support the back of the seat instead of doing a spring mount. Go for it!

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 10/05/16 at 10:41:40

gizzo wrote on 10/05/16 at 04:47:32:
I never cut the seat horns off either. Too lazy. I used them to support the back of the seat instead of doing a spring mount. Go for it!
----------
Do you have any pictures that show what you did and how it looks?
Not "allowed" to modify the frame around here either.  Sad

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 10/05/16 at 14:10:40

Sure thing. Here you go. It looks a bit awkward in the pic but in reality the bike is so low that the seat pretty much conceals those horns. My frame is  completely stock and the only welding I did on this bike was the back mudguard stays and the seat front mount. It bolts onto the fuel tank rear mount.

IMAG1182.jpg
  IP Logged
Jarry63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/05/16 at 18:11:51

Thanks for the input and the pic.  Gizzo, I like the way your seat is mounted, that's what I'm trying to do. (simple and clean)  All my planning has been done by looking at pic's here on the forum.  I'm also thinking about using the horns to mount my turn signals, kinda give the horns more purpose and fill the space between the fender and seat, just a little.  I think the top two fender mounting holes in the horns are about the right height to mount a flat bracket and attach the signals to each side.   

Gizzo, If you don't mind, do you have a full pic of your bike.  I like the color of your bike and would like to see how it flows overall.

Thanks, 

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 10/05/16 at 19:16:37

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/IMAG10891.jpg
here's a  pic from the scavenger hunt page.
I'm really liking bobber prjct's blacked out one. Cool
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1302365063/0#0

IP Logged
Jarry63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/05/16 at 20:38:38

Gizzo, thanks for the pics, I like your bike, it's very close to what I have planned for mine.  Do you happen to know what the color is called?  Looks kinda like a tealish color.  I do have another question for you, I notice you have the rectifier assy. mounted on outside of your battery box.  Have you had any trouble in the rain with connections getting wet?  I haven't decide where to mount mine yet.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 10/05/16 at 22:16:52

Thanks jarry Smiley. I like it too. Its the baby blue of a fiat bambino, with a bit of extra blue. My local spray paint guy mixed it for me. I had problems once in torrential rain with the bike misfiring really badly but it came good and hasn't repeated, so I can't say there is a problem with the connection getting wet. That said, I will get around to replacing the crimp terminals with a proper waterproof block connector some day.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/06/16 at 07:31:48

I was Soaked, the rain was just falling in buckets and when I put my feet down at a red light I got a shock every time the plug fired, but it didn't act like it was gonna die. I didn't Notice a misfire, but my attention Was somewhat diverted..
And No, I didn't rev it up just to see what would happen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jarry63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/06/16 at 17:13:02

Thanks for the input.  I don't have anything planned on wiring reorganizing yet.  I'm going to try and keep it under the seat/frame area, but we'll see when I cross that bridge.  The most important part of the electrical seems to be good insulation regardless of where I mount it, I don't really need any more distractions while riding in the rain. O-guy I'm sure that was an eye popping experience, not sure I wanna try it myself.  Thanks, again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/08/16 at 08:33:22

Like the first time a heel touches down in a corner. Unexpected,,, and startling. I wasn't getting hit too hard, or the plug wouldn't have been getting the voltage it needed, and after the
Pardon me
Initial Shock
wore off it was almost funny..
Not funny enough to wanna try it again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jarry63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/15/16 at 21:27:43

Well, I've run across my first question.  I've starting purchasing parts online for my build and have a general question on solo seat size. I've noticed you can get them any varying lengths and width's, and cushions too.  I'm leaving the shocks on my bike, but I do have an hour ride to and from work.  So, any thoughts or ideals?
Thanks, Garry

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #12 - 11/15/16 at 22:16:27

re: the seat horns, you can drill them out from the top, about 1/2" and drop an 8mm bolt from the top to anchor a seat.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 11/16/16 at 13:28:16

Get a seat that fits your arse. If you have a great big one, don't get a narrow seat. My seat is very thinly padded and becomes very uncomfortable on bumpy roads. My backside is fine but my lower back cops it. So bear that in mind for your commute. The bike only seems to have a coulple of thousandths of an inch suspesion travel...

IP Logged
Jarry63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/16/16 at 16:13:21

Thanks for the input, that's kinda what I thought most folks would say.  I guess I'll have to get home and try a few seats out and find what feels right, instead of just ordering what looks cool.  It really sucks getting older, I should have starting riding when I was younger.  If I was younger I'd make it a hard tail and small pan, just cause it looks cool.  Of course, I'm also wiser now, so maybe a little cushion looks cooler. I'll update when I start working on the bike next month.  Thanks

Garry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 16:06:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter 2016; first bobber build plans

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.