Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Meta Oil Thread. (Read 142 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
The Meta Oil Thread.
07/17/16 at 03:09:56

I think it's time that we begin, a meta oil thread. I'm pretty sure it's never been done, I'm absolutely sure that long complex opinionated oil threads have been done to death and will continue to be done to death.

What I'd like this thread to be, is not a personal opinion about oil, but instead, a repository about the very best most informative comments that we have all seen on other oil threads. This has indeed happened on the recent one here, there are always the occasional gems, well not always but often. Or links to absolutely expert opinions or charts or other useful info that is more in the spirit of proper scientific explanations. Even if you don't agree with what you have found, it's enough for it to contain stuff that you think is worthwhile to consider.

What do you think? Could it work? Personally the reason I often wade through to the end of the many threads I've seen is that there will be the occasional gem amongst the opinions. I want to gather these gems in one spot. So this will be the definitive oil thread to end them all, because all the others consists of a lot of useless opinions and a few gems.

I think it's best to post a copy and paste that you think is worthwhile, I don't want to argue about if something is worthwhile, if you think it is then copy and paste, then you can post a link to the thread where it came from if you like. I'll begin to give you an idea what I mean.

I liked the following two posts by the same person from http://tinyurl.com/vfrworld...
Full disclosure: I'm not a tribologist (lubrication, bearings, and wear engineer) but I've spent 38 years as a helicopter test engineer frequently hanging out with them as we tested helicopter drivetrains (using both mineral and sythetic oils).

1. "Rotella is designed for diesel engines only" - yet it meets gasoline engine API specifications SH, SL, SM, and JASO bike spec MA. The concept that life in a gas engine is more severe than a diesel engine belongs in the land between falacious and ludicrous. Rotella is an outsanding oil.

2. "Royal Purple is the only oil on the market that has the proprietary additive blendthat prevents half life from overheating." How could the Honda engineers be so incredibly stupid to design an engine that would only survive on Royal Purple and then so monumentally lucky to have their engines set the industry standard for reliability and longevity when not using Royal Purple? The answer is they didn't. They analyzed and tested to assure excellent life with oils conforming to their requirements spec.

3. "Engines with gear driven cams will shear an oil to death in minutes/seconds/100 miles". (OK; that's paraphrasing but more or less what they said.) The cam drive is one or two additional gear meshes the oil lubricates. At least as much shearing is going on in the transmission with it's bundle of gears. Note: it's the viscosity index improvers (VII) that get sheared. Thus an oil that starts out as a 10W-40 will get beaten down to a 10W-30, then a 10W-20 if used past its useful life. The good thing about synthetics is that they need far fewer VIIs so they are less vulnerable to shear degradation. Hence we change our oil at a reasonable interval, the more compulsive of us send samples to a lab to assure that the used oil was still in spec vicosity range when it was retired.

4. The worry about going back and forthe between mineral and synthetic base oils is becoming overcome by events. Most oils marketed as synthetic in the US new are mostly group III mineral oils. Amsoil is a true synthetic poly-alpha-olefin base, Redline is a sythetic polyesther base; most other "synthetics" are primarily group III with a small blend of PAO or diesther. Thus the question of seal leakage (it was an issue back in 1973) is probably overrated now. Also, group III mineral oil is really good stuff; the performance distinction between a group III mineral oil and a PAO or diesther is nebulous.

5. I'd avoid 15W-anything oil unless you live in a periennially warm climate. 5W and 10W oils really do flow better at lower temperatures. Remember, to your engine, room temperature is "cold". Unless we're talking about something like a 1964 air cooled Norton on old low quality oil, most of your engine wear will be on cold start-up.

6. You are right on about getting your oil tested. That's the way to cut through the BS and deal with facts.

AND

Invisible (or should I call you "Mr. Cities"?):

First of all let me confess that I don't know much about the VF500F beyond the fact that it is a breathtakingly lovely bike. However wading in with what I would do if it were my bike:

1. Use the viscosity Honda recommends. If the manual says 10W-30, use it; ditto if it says 20W-50, 10W-40, or 0W-Infinity.
2. Use a synthetic; I don't know enough to distinguish between brands. All of them are better oils than Honda engine designers dreamed of in 1984. As previously indicated, I wouldn't get hung up over if it's a group III mineral, PAO, or esther base.
3. Watch for tribal knowledge. Every once in a while every manufacturer misses a detail in an engine design which drives a peculiar lubrication need. BMW M3 autos of a certain vintage ended up needing somebody's snazzy (and expensive) oil to address a particular issue. I haven't heard but also haven't been listening to know if the VF500Fs have this kind of history.
4. Drain and flush the cooling system on something approaching Honda's recommended interval. Having goop in the cooling passages can create a local hot spot. The resulting damage in that area that will then often be incorrectly blamed on the lubrication.
5. Sending the used oil to be sampled and cutting open the old oil filter and examining for particles gives additional peace of mind to those of us who should probably be doing something better with our lives.

Best wishes.

PS: Yes; I am old enough that I worked on that particular helicopter, remember the house it's carrying, and knew the pilots.

Or just post links to single documents like this...

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The Meta Oil Thread.
Reply #1 - 07/17/16 at 08:28:21

However, what we do know is that we can find no substantive evidence that using a high-quality, name-brand automotive oil in an average street motorcycle is in any way harmful or less effective in providing proper lubrication and protection than using the more expensive, motorcycle-specific oils.

I did some reading..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/17/16 at 09:02:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/16 at 08:28:21:
However, what we do know is that we can find no substantive evidence that using a high-quality, name-brand automotive oil in an average street motorcycle is in any way harmful or less effective in providing proper lubrication and protection than using the more expensive, motorcycle-specific oils.

"Wathchu' Talking About Willis?"  What do you mean by a "High Quality, Name Brand Automotive oil?

High Quality, name brand automotive oils can have Friction Modifiers, Moly, and very now ZDDP.  They can cause clutch slippage and ruin cams/lifters.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/17/16 at 09:30:26

That's the last of this article

documents like this...

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 07/17/16 at 21:48:36

Feeling tired, listless, can't get excited about riding your bike any longer? You need to read another oil article... http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oilessay.htm

This is one from left field that will give you much to ponder, including some links that can explain why changing your oil too often can be a bad thing. Did I just read that correctly? Mind => Blown. http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/18/16 at 03:34:44

Them old bored people do like to crank up these oil wars.

Older bored people like to read them, but not always to respond to them.

As far as any fresh new Savage knowledge, we have had 3 "relatively recent" contaminated Savage clutches (slippy due to friction modifiers, one from long chain polymer compounds and two from friction modifiers).

Suggestion given was to go back to dino Rotella T 15W40 as a try at "cleaning up the mess".    One success, one replaced the clutch disks anyway as a knee jerk reaction and one went silent (got his situation fixed, went on with life or else maybe he sold the bike rather than work on it).  

No feedback, in other words.

Real issue to me right now is the large number of people just blowing through the forum just looking for a quick fix, then leaving as soon as they get what they came for.    Our ability to collect our own member's experiential data is getting hampered by this "transient effect".

Next issue is that most casual user people "reading stuff on the web" are not knowledgeable enough to separate out the shifts in SAE oil standards as applies to separate oil sump cars vs old style flat tappet motorcycles which have common oil sumps and wet clutches.

There is a new word now, just recently created ---- the "pokemon effect"

This is where a verbal group of web users start doing something blindly, quickly changing the status quo on the net and chatting up what they are doing so other web users start doing it that way too.   It can snowball on you, quick.

Moderators on forums are having to actively manage this "pokemon effect" when new users start passing on bad information to other new users.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/18/16 at 04:15:30

Part of my problem with the thread....is that I had never hear the word "Meta" and don't know what it meant.  So I looked it up:

"A meta-analysis is a type of study that uses statistical techniques to analyze the combined results of a series of studies with related hypotheses that have been previously published."  

With that in mind....I am not sure this thread is titled correctly, and it may be misleading.  Is the purpose of this thread to list oil discussions and articles that are "bogus" and "amusing"?  If so.....I believe the Subject line should be changed to reflect that.  As Oldfeller has suggested....somebody might jump into this thread and not understand the humor......and latch onto an oil article that we find amusing, and take it as a fact and recommendation from this forum.

I will wait and see what Verslagen and Serowbot say - but my thought is that at a minimum the title of this thread should me amended to state that it is a "humor" thread....and not intended to provide useful oil information.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 07/18/16 at 06:03:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/18/16 at 03:34:44:

Suggestion given was to go back to dino Rotella T 15W40 as a try at "cleaning up the mess".    One success, one replaced the clutch disks anyway as a knee jerk reaction and one went silent (got his situation fixed, went on with life or else maybe he sold the bike rather than work on it).  
O
No feedback, in other words.

When you mention the one who  changed  clutch discs I guess you mean me. It was no knee jerk reaction.
1: rotella as you know it isn't available here so trying it isn't an option
2: I used the same oil before and since the clutch slipped with no dramas, as well as my other bikes with clutches up to 30 years old.
3: if I'm pulling the clutch out, I'm not doing it twice in the hope of saving $100 worth of clutch plates. I'd rather do it right, once. I'm too poor to be cheap.

Anyway, I got nothing to contribute about oil, everyone already knows everything anyway  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/18/16 at 07:08:34

Gizzo, since Rotella T isn't available, what are you using?
I know you have Road Trains. Since Rotella is used in the big trucks here and you definitely have big trucks there, have you, or maybe you are, IDK, considered buying the oil they use in the trucks?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 07/18/16 at 07:55:27

Penrite hpr diesel In the cabbage. Local product, with zinc.
Local trucks use shell rimula. But, i think it has  phosphorus instead of zinc. Plenty of diesel oils to choose from. Gulf western diesel seems to work fine in the other bikes. And its not expensive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/18/16 at 16:59:40

You've got enough there to go on. Finding out more about the contents of each oil and deciding which is best is something you can do. I would bet that you have available something that is every bit as healthy for your Savage as our Rotella..
Those Road Trains hafta be a Serious workout for the engines.
But, like anything else, once it's rolling it rolls out pretty easily. Honest to goodness, rolling on steel wheels on steel rails, thousands of tons roll along with an efficiency that I don't know is matched by anything but sailing ships. Of course, rolling resistance of steel on steel is pretty low.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 07/18/16 at 17:48:42

Cheers JoG. I was a heavy diesel mechanic in a previous career. I've done my research and settled on what I think works. If we had the same Rotella as you guys, and at the same price, you bet I'd use it. I'm using Gulf Western these days. It's locally made and cheap. GW sells massive amounts of oil in the mining and trucking industry over here. Light vehicle is only a tiny fraction of their market so they don't really promote it much. But it's good. The Penrite is double the price so only the Cabbage gets it and only because of the zinc content.

Actually, a road train has rubber tyres. Can you imagine what steel wheels would to the road? Wink

Road train.

download_003.jpg
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 07/18/16 at 22:24:20

@Oldfeller I hear you about the ‘transient’ effect but what can you do other than make great posts that lead people to your site, which is what my plan is which I will outline in a mo.

@Dave, all meta really means is data about data, like metadata. Basically it’s not meant to be a discussion thread but a resource thread much like the tech docs. I thought I’d put it in The Cafe, so I could see how it goes, I got a bit disappointed at first because it seems that some folks didn’t ‘get it’ but that’s OK because I’m going to continue with the plan which is just to post links to articles that I have found exceedingly interesting or that contain info that at least has some kind of authority. There’s a couple of examples already and I think that you will agree that the http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/ which is a tech document that needs to be purchased but still there is a preview available that covers the premise that changing oil too often can be a bad thing for reasons that I’ll bet not many people would consider. Is this valid knowledge? I don’t know but it’s some serious academia and hard to find.

You know how the net is one minute you looking at a tutorial teaching you how to spray oil onto bikini models for photoshoots, then before you know it you are in a technical document on some obscure web page reading about the most arcane facts about engine oil. Or maybe that happens the other way, I wouldn’t know because it was only an example.

Anyway, if other people catch on and find some excellent technical data or posts, then the plan would be to eventually cull all these brilliant links and snippets, and then place them into a new tech thread all by themselves with no comments from people, just as a resource. Because of the snippets and links it’s quite possible over time that anyone searching for oil information will be linked to the tech thread on your forum and wa la! you have brought people to your site with good content, and that’s really all you can do. And you can give it a new title when it reaches the tech section. Something ‘more than you ever wanted to know about oil’.

For example I notice there is already Rotela discussion in this thread even though there is a dedicated recent thread on Rotella, but if you had checked out the link earlier http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oilessay.htm there is some really good words about Rotella.

The point of the whole thing is that it’s best left up to the individual to decide for themselves what information they can trust by reading trustworthy sources and then think about it all themselves.

Anyhoo that’s the general plan, I thought it was a good idea.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/19/16 at 01:02:36

ts. In one of our previous studies it was observed that engine oil samples collected from fleet vehicles after 12,000 mile drain interval showed 10-15 % lower friction and more importantly, an order of magnitude lower wear rate than those of fresh oils. It was also observed that the composition of the tribochemical films formed was quite different on the surface tested with the drain oils from those formed with fresh oils. The objective of this investigation is to demonstrate how the friction and wear performance changed with oil drain intervals. A fleet of three vehicles was run in Las Vegas and oil samples were collected at various drain intervals from 3000 miles to 15000 miles. As in the previous study, the results showed that the aged engine oils provide lower friction and much improved wear protection capability. These improvements were observed as early as the 3000 mile drain interval and continued to the 15000 mile drain interval. The composition of tribochemical films formed on the surface with the 3000 mile drain interval is similar to that formed with the 12000 mile drain interval as seen before. These findings could be an enabler for achieving longer drain interval although several other factors must to be considered..

Wow,, if that's true it's completely
Counterintuitive

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 07/19/16 at 01:49:06

Not really counter intuitive, remember the US ARMY oil monitors vehicles and does not change the oil unless antifreeze gets into it from a head gasket leak.   They just monitor the oil twice a year.   Big diesel fleet rigs get the same treatment routinely, they change the oil only if something crops up during a routine oil analysis.

HOWEVER, please consider that these are diesel vehicles with VERY GOOD PARTICULATE CONTROL and most excellent air and oil filtration systems.

Versy and I each separately researched and built exterior oil filtration systems and figured out how to hook them up to the Savage, but we learned our oil pump system lacks both volume and excess oil pressure to supply such systems unless the engine is running at at least half RPM.

Such exterior filtration systems are bulky and potentially ugly looking things, and a potential for an oil pressure loss is inherent in a cobbled up exterior oil filtration system.

My decision was to not install my rig as our remaining real issue with the very long use of oil is silicate contamination over time, which requires you to change the oil about once a year anyway.   Source path for this contamination is fine dust control, which the stock Savage lacks completely.   Really fine dust migrates through paper filter systems over time and contaminates the oil over time.

In short, two quarts of oil once a year was prettier, easier and felt more "normal" to me.

I kept the magnetic iron filtration system I built, and the oil trap filter system for the air box.   Oil gets dumped once a year, synthetic or dino being no different for the dust contamination build up problem.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:24:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Meta Oil Thread.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.