Send Topic Print
Dry rot on tires (Read 72 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Dry rot on tires
07/16/16 at 14:52:30

My bike is a 2005 ,and I still have quite a bit of tread left on my tires. 7k miles..I noticed I'm getting a slight amount of dry rot on the sides,not too much. I kow I'm going to need tires, but how dangerous do you think it is to ride around the way it is for a while, if they are properly inflated?Thanks!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Dry rot on tires
Reply #1 - 07/16/16 at 15:30:31

If they are rotted then they are dangerous. Your life depends on them!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 07/16/16 at 15:34:46

So when you guys talk about dry rot do you mean the tyre is crumbling away and  hunks fly off (like my trailer tyres) or is it that the tyre is starting to show tiny cracks in the rubber? If its the latter, I don't see the problem. I've had tyres looking that way, they still stick like sh!t to a blanket. I'd use that tyre up unless its really perished (the back tyre on my cabbage must be 10 years old, its not getting changed until its worn out). But as always, YMMV, IMO and just because I do it doesn't make it a good idea. Its a serious question because you guys seem to place a lot of importance on tyre carcass condition where it just isn't an everyday factor where I am.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 07/16/16 at 16:21:37

I think you're right gizzo,thanks, there are very small cracks on the sides. i don't go too far or too fast. I appreciate the input.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/16/16 at 17:39:11

If you have 7,000 miles on stock tires, you got 2,000 more than I did.  And if they are 11 years old, you can get new ones...
Average the cost..
The tubes are Just as old,, and have been through the same hot and cold cycles. The bike I'm getting has fourteen year old tires. I will probably be replacing them before I ride home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 07/16/16 at 19:29:36

thanks JOG, I'll keep that in mind.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 07/17/16 at 03:27:12

@rl153

Is it not the case that tyres have a use by date due to the gradual seepage of molecules that keep the tyre as sticky as it is meant to be. You can check the date on tyres and depending on the turnover of the shop you may very well be getting a tyre that is two years old before it's sold. Not a bad idea to check the date on the tyres that you choose.

So perhaps an old tyre that looks great may be more dangerous than a newish sticky tyre worn slick.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/17/16 at 04:07:18

As rubber ages, some of the things that keep the tires soft and flexible are gone, and the rubber becomes harder....and perhaps a bit of shrinkage occurs.  The cracks in the casing rubber are evidence that the rubber has become aged.

On a tire that is that old....the available traction is not nearly as good as it was when the tire was new, and that will be most obvious if you ask the tires to perform at their traction limits....hard braking, fast corners, or a ride in the rain will not be as sure footed on an old tire.

You most likely can get some more use out of the tire - provided you avoid any hard braking or cornering, and don't ride in the rain.  On the rescue bike I rode about 400 miles on tires that had 3,800 miles on them and were 14 years old.  They were not weather checked and looked fine - but as I rode the bike and pushed it a bit - the back tire did slide while going around a corner.

Since I can mount and balance my own tires - it was only about $130 to mount a set of Shinko tires and make the bike safe to ride again.  The Shinko tires work very well on the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 07/17/16 at 08:20:52

Thanks Sauvage for that valuable info. I didn't know  that. Thanks also Dave, I believe I can safely ride these tires for a while,in  the  cautious way I usually ride.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/18/16 at 23:12:22

Current rear tire was made in 1999, installed in 2000 on my deceased 98 Savage. Tube was installed in a different tire in 98 or 99.

Ride is getting pretty bad. Wore out the installed summer 2015 (made either 94 or 04) a couple months ago. Current tire has noticeable large sidewall cracks, use it anyway. When the tube is visible the tire will get replaced.

Have a nice new Shinko 734 in 130/90-15 ready to go. Can't afford a new tube right now. And refuse to use the summer 2013 tube in the spare wheel as it has a 90 degree stem. More trouble than they are worth since I have a narrow gauge exhaust system (which is rotting through, only lasted since 1999).  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 06:27:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dry rot on tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.