Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
know anything about this stuff (zddp additive) (Read 103 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
know anything about this stuff (zddp additive)
07/13/16 at 08:47:26

Rislone Engine oil supplement with 3X the zddp?
It says to add only 2 oz. In  motorcycle.
I'm just looking for something local foe the next oil change which I coming up soon.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: know anything about this stuff (zddp additive)
Reply #1 - 07/13/16 at 08:57:54

http://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-tr...

Quote:
dosage: Use as directed in gasoline & diesel engines, antique & classic cars, motorcycles (4 stroke except wet clutch), tractors, agricultural & industrial machinery, and all racing applications.
size: 11 fl.oz. (325 mL)

WWW   IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 07/13/16 at 09:12:04

Thanks Versy, it does mention motorcycles on the bottle ut not wet clutches. NiX that idea I guess

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/13/16 at 09:19:54

Another product... ZDDPmax

http://www.zddpmaxx.com/

Quote:
There is nothing in ZDDP Maxx that was not already in motor oil prior to implementation of the new E.P.A. standards and the introduction of "SM" oils.  ZDDP simply brings your "SM" rated oil back to "SF" specifications over 1910 ppm phosphours & 2200 ppm zinc this additive can be used in motorcycle oil with or without wet clutches . It will add the ability to improve shifting over the past 2 years motorcycle oil has suffered greatly.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 07/13/16 at 09:28:48

ZDDP MAXX is what I use. It comes in a little bottle and it was about the cheapest stuff I could find. It is also very concentrated. You shouldn't use the whole thing... I'd guess a quarter of the bottle, but that may be more than you need.  I don't remember for sure how much I used. If you use Rotella, you won't need to add a lot to get where you want.

Hey, Dave, I found something that might be interesting, if it's not already known. On the steering tube, it tells the grade of oil to use. Guess what it says?

SF or SG

Now ain't that cute?

Shoulda painted it across the side of the gas tank in huge letters: FEED ME ZDDP OR I'LL DIE!!!!

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/13/16 at 09:34:04

But then... it could be simply that the engine was designed in the 80's and they forgot to update the oil information on my 2004 model... OR NOT!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 07/13/16 at 11:30:39

I'd been just running straight Rotella 15/40 until oldfeller made his latest update on the demise of zddp concentrations in Rotella recently. Thought I'd start bumping it little.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 07/13/16 at 11:43:59

https://www.amazon.com/Zddp-Maxx-Shipping-additive-Phosphorus/dp/B003MAG004

According to the description, 1/4 bottle sounds pretty reasonable. Would everyone agree?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/13/16 at 12:11:58

Quote:
If you go 1 qt of this Rislone stuff and 5 qts of regular oil (assume 800 ppm zddp). Then 5000 - 800 = 4200. 4200/6 = 700. And finally 800 + 700 = 1500 ppm in your crankcase. That is comparable to the level in Redline Oil. I woudl go half bottle of Rislone in the crankcase which would be 4200/12 = 350 and 800 +350 = 1150 ppm, which is comparable to the old SL rated oil zddp levels.

Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 07/13/16 at 12:40:17

The Rislone Engine Oil Supplement I have here states that one 11oz. bottle is best for engines 1996 or older. Half bottle, or 5.5 oz. 1997-2004 model gas engines holding 5 quarts of oil. The bottle I have here isn't nearly a quart but only 11oz.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/13/16 at 12:59:05

From the BTOG forum...
Quote:
The most recent repsonse from ZddPlus:

" SO for 4 liters, and using 900ppm phosphorus oil it would take 1 ounce of ZDDPlus™ to bump the sump ZDDP level to the Alfa’s API SG (1200ppm) recommendation.

Regarding the issue of whether the additive package is compatible with ZDDP, it already is: because ZDDP is already in the oil, and you are only changing the amount by 20%. I have heard people outside of the industry theorize about some critical “balance” which can be upset, but there are several realities which disprove this speculation:

1) The level of both ZDDP and detergent declines from the first time you start the engine after the oil change. If the exact level of available chemical was critical, the oil should then stop protecting the engine soon after the change…it does not.

2) The additive package formulators (not the oil companies, the companies that the oil companies buy the additive packages from) publish dosing charts showing how to mix and match the different packages to achieve different results. If the additive manufacturers encourage custom formulations from the stock additives, then…

3) In order to be type approved, every oil must be able to be mixed with any other type approved oil with no dire consequence. Have you ever heard of problems with someone merely mixing two oil types? We have not seen any documented cases of this ever happening. Talk a bout a custom formulation!

Thank you for your continued interest in ZDDPlus™.

Howard Hoyt
Dir. of Engineering
AMI, LLC

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/14/16 at 02:38:03

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/16 at 08:57:54:
http://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-tr...

Quote:
dosage: Use as directed in gasoline & diesel engines, antique & classic cars, motorcycles (4 stroke except wet clutch), tractors, agricultural & industrial machinery, and all racing applications.

Why are you still messing around with Rislone?  Here is a blanket general sort of statement, your clutch in your Savage can react adversely to friction modifiers and any form of long polymer thickness additives  --  modifiers that are used in MOST of the off the shelf automotive ZDDP booster products and/or any STP type of product.

What we want is pretty much pure ZDDP -- it comes in little bitty tiny bottles or diluted in a good Redline synthetic carrier oil that has to be SHAKEN VERY WELL each time you use it (and it needs to be stored inside where it is air conditioned).

Read the ZDDP booster thread in Tech Section, it refers back to several older oil wars where all this sort of stuff was discovered, researched and codified.    And now the newest of that knowledge has been extensively tested by list members for pushing 6-8 years now.  

And we keep testing and probing as our oils continuously shift underneath us ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 07/14/16 at 07:13:39

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/14/16 at 02:38:03:

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/16 at 08:57:54:

Quote:

Why are you still messing around with Rislone?  Here is a blanket general sort of statement, your clutch in your Savage can react adversely to friction modifiers and any form of long polymer thickness additives  --  modifiers that are used in MOST of the off the shelf automotive ZDDP booster products and/or any STP type of product.

What we want is pretty much pure ZDDP -- it comes in little bitty tiny bottles or diluted in a good Redline synthetic carrier oil that has to be SHAKEN VERY WELL each time you use it (and it needs to be stored inside where it is air conditioned).

Read the ZDDP booster thread in Tech Section, it refers back to several older oil wars where all this sort of stuff was discovered, researched and codified.    And now the newest of that knowledge has been extensively tested by list members for pushing 6-8 years now.  

And we keep testing and probing as our oils continuously shift underneath us ......

Lol I should have gone back and read the thread before I posted, sorry. I've since done that and I see Rislone is not recommended. I ordered some Redline last night.
I was just grasping for something I could find in town. Obviously that can't be done. Not in Hicksville anyway.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:58:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › know anything about this stuff (zddp additive)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.