Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Most) Automobile Service Depts. Stink (Read 98 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
(Most) Automobile Service Depts. Stink
07/05/16 at 14:16:44

I have a truck that requires a timing belt replacement every 90K miles. It's more of a job than I want to endure and I want to make certain that it's all set right (timing) and that someone is responsible if it's not right.  I got the first belt replacement done at the local dealer years ago and will use a dealer this time too.  However, this time at ~215K miles I'll get the water pump replaced since it's all under there and makes sense considering I want to drive this truck until infinity. Local dealer tried to scam me at the first replacement years ago telling me that the water pump was crusting up, probably about to start leaking, etc. and that I needed to replace it too and that a $400-500 job would end up costing me about $1000 for both. I said no, do what I came in here for, and have driven the truck for another 100K miles with not a single drop of water leakage or water pump failure. Go figure.

So this time around I called the dealer in the neighboring city (45 minutes away) and they have good service recommendations from friends. He quoted the belt replacement only and didn't try to upsell the water pump, but agreed when I brought it up that it was probably a good idea considering the mileage. Said they can replace the serpentine belt too but I said naa since I can do it for $20, to which he agreed and said they would charge $70 for the serpentine belt. So, out the door for timing belt and water pump it'll be about $700 and we shouldn't need anything for another 100K miles. I'm good with that.

However, when I called the local dealer that tried to rattle my cage last time (thought maybe a change in ownership might have changed their greediness) he said that (1) we do not only change the timing belts on cars that old any more and will only do both if we do the timing belt and that (2) it will be $1100

Seriously, $400 higher for NOTHING at all.  I called them back and told them nicely that I was not doing business with them for the fact that they tried to scam me the first time around, and also for the fact that they are almost 60% more expensive than another dealer...not a mom and pop...another dealer with the exact same parts and service directives.

BUYER BEWARE.  I know we try to stay away from the motorcycle dealers for the same reasons, but when you do choose to use the dealer for your cart/truck at least call around to other dealers and see if you're being treated fairly.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: (Most) Automobile Service Depts. Stink
Reply #1 - 07/06/16 at 08:26:19

these are the mechanics that, back when i was a wrench, made me want to kink them in the willy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/06/16 at 08:38:25

I've been lied to by a service manager, and he Knew me. I had worked there years before.. Idiot tried to tell me that a warped rotor wouldn't flat spot a tire.. bloody hell it won't.. He even tried to convince me the rotor Wasn't warped.. geeze,, they must not want to do warranty work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/06/16 at 09:01:48

I am with you on that one gentlemen. I avoid the dealership to the extent possible. I do whatever work I can on the cars and then have 2 mechanics that I trust, one close to the house and on close to work. So far both of these guys have treated me well.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 07/06/16 at 09:21:41

The wife's Hyundai Elantra is due a timing belt change at 80k , its 92k now.
Took it to a local small shop, he wants $1,700, says since it is a front wheel drive and the motor is sideways it is tight, a horrible job and it takes forever. (guess he doesn't like Hyundai's)
Never the less, she is going to drive it for another year.... we hope, if not, maybe a trade in.
She was hoping to get an Elio this year (last quarter, blown promise again) but looks like maybe this time or Christmas next year?
We were thinking lease... but $2,500 up front, plus $159 a month, is a bit pricey, she could buy a new one with no money down and that monthly payment.
Guess we could buy new and sell it when the Elio gets ready.... or if she don't like the Elio we could sell that Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/06/16 at 12:02:47

That sucks oldrider. I just had the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and crankshaft position sensor changed on 02 mitsubishi eclipse gt (6 cylinder) and it cost me right around $800.00. That is a fair price and that includes the parts.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 07/06/16 at 13:05:34

old_rider wrote on 07/06/16 at 09:21:41:
Took it to a local small shop, he wants $1,700

Call two Hyundai dealers (as close to you as possible) and see what they quote, and see if you can bargain. The dealer has the right tools and the proper step by step guides to the fix and they should know how to get at it as efficiently as possible. If they both also quote $1700, well, that sucks. Small shops are good for some things, others they aren't because it may not be what they work on every day.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 07/06/16 at 16:22:31

Do you guys have mobile mechanics that come to your place in a van with all their tools? In my experience they are as good, probably better, than workshops and considerably cheaper.
I'd change timing belts all day long for 1700 a pop.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/06/16 at 17:31:11

The
Hours required
Is in a book. The
Cost per hour
Is the mechanics call.

I would do some searching online for the time to do that job.
If the water pump is handy during the belt swap, then, good time to do that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/07/16 at 00:05:02

Why "(Most)"?.... Undecided...

Grin Grin Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/07/16 at 06:31:55

For work that is not "warranty" and needs to be done at the dealer.....we have a very good local shop in Alexandria, KY (Community Car Care) and they are honest, they do good work, and they stand behind what they do. The mechanics have the ability to diagnose problems....something that a lot of young mechanics can't do.  They have a nice shop - but far less overhead than the factory dealers and as a result they can do work for less money.

Look around and try to find a good local mechanic...that isn't a dealer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 07/07/16 at 06:41:59

Serowbot wrote on 07/07/16 at 00:05:02:
Why "(Most)"?.... Undecided...

I know, right?!  I don't like the dealers, but at least the 'cheaper' one was honest about everything and didn't try to upsell me crap I don't need.  

Dave, I would go to a small shop for small non warranty work, but I have an airbag recall that needs to be addressed as well as the timing belt requires that a good chunk of the front components come off. I'd rather be safe and use the Toyota dealer to ensure that they follow the Toyota protocols and get it all put back together correctly, etc. And if there is an issue, I have more leverage (affordability) with the dealer for them to make it right if they screw it up. I want to keep this truck until the wheels fall off so I don't mind paying a fair wage to keep it in top running condition. All other stuff (plugs, oil, rear tranny seals, differential fluid, etc.) I do myself.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/07/16 at 07:15:23

old_rider wrote on 07/06/16 at 09:21:41:
The wife's Hyundai Elantra is due a timing belt change at 80k , its 92k now.
Took it to a local small shop, he wants $1,700, says since it is a front wheel drive and the motor is sideways it is tight, a horrible job and it takes forever. (guess he doesn't like Hyundai's)
Never the less, she is going to drive it for another year.... we hope, if not, maybe a trade in.
She was hoping to get an Elio this year (last quarter, blown promise again) but looks like maybe this time or Christmas next year?
We were thinking lease... but $2,500 up front, plus $159 a month, is a bit pricey, she could buy a new one with no money down and that monthly payment.
Guess we could buy new and sell it when the Elio gets ready.... or if she don't like the Elio we could sell that Smiley

$1700 seems way out of line, I dunno if you have the same motor, but my Spectra (Kia, made by Hyundai) had an easy to replace timing belt
Repair Pal .com says 3-400 for that job on a 2010 with the 2.0, that sounds about right from the (lack of) difficulty level in replacing the belt on my '12 Spectra, which I think used a 1.8
ask the dealer for the hours according to the Mitchel, or look it up online for your car

Most shops now charge $80-100 per 'flag' hour in my area

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/07/16 at 09:52:36

I use YouTube videos for about everything now. Without that I don't know if I could have replaced the half shaft on a car, replaced the wheel bearings on a friend's Explorer, all kinda problems with things ,,a thirty minute video saved me hours,, no way was I gonna get the bearings on the Explorer without buying a book or watching the video..

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 07/08/16 at 06:49:52

Ok, so I got the job completed yesterday. VERY satisfied. Service manager at the "good" dealer said everything checked out perfectly and they saw no evidence of other problems or leaking gaskets, etc. which is great for 217K miles. I don't recall him saying specifically, but I don't even think there was evidence of any issues with the original water pump though we swapped it for longevity sake as previously noted.

I got curious and went back to find my original receipt from the "lying" dealer and I have attached the note that they put on my service ticket because I refused to get the water pump replaced.

Here's the original note from 2009 when my truck was at 109K miles and in for the first timing belt replacement:

Here's the original water pump that they said was leaking, which never failed or gave me any trouble for the last 108K miles since 2009 when they said it was "leaking". I asked the "good" dealer if I could have the old one for giggles and he said no problem at all. They boxed up the whole thing, bolts, gaskets, and all for me.

So, I'm not right all of the time, but I was this time. I feel soo sorry for the little old ladies that don't have someone to run interference for them with the jerks out there. If they will lie to someone like me that is obviously educated on general mechanics and my truck, God only knows what they do to people that don't know how to change a spark plug, or even know what a spark plug is.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 06:14:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › (Most) Automobile Service Depts. Stink

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.