Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted? (Read 207 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted?
Reply #15 - 07/08/16 at 15:31:14

. Had a farm and needed equipment more than the bike.

Dude! Hit me right in the heart. I rode the fender of grandpas Ford for years,,

Mamma says no more bikes until I get rid of something.

I Rarely shy away from stating the obvious... And it's So hard...
But,  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: How many here have rode, stopped, & restar
Reply #16 - 07/09/16 at 07:51:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/08/16 at 15:31:14:

Mamma says no more bikes until I get rid of something.

And MM wonders why I say 'no more' to marriage or even cohabitation

"no more bikes for you'  Sad
'goodbye'  Grin

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #17 - 07/09/16 at 08:22:52

I stopped and restarted a couple of times.

I started riding in about 1966 in high school. I started with a Honda S90. I didn't have my drivers licence yet, so my buddies and I spent a lot of time in nearby woods and farm fields. About a year after moving on to the streets, I moved up to a 1967 Ducati 250 scrambler. This was the start of my love affair with big singles. I had that bike during the last two years of high school and through college.

Gap #1. In 1975, I sold the bike, moved from Ohio to Kansas and got married. I didn't have the money for a motorcycle.

Around 1978, I bought and repaired a wrecked Yamaha RD200 for cheap. 6 months later, I bought a BSA 440 Victor.

Gap #2 started around 1985. We had a 4 year old and another on the way. Whenever I went somewhere, the 4 yr old wanted to go with me, so I couldn't take the bike. I was tired of just riding to work. I sold the BSA and life got in the way of further motorcycling.

Around 2009, the kids were out of the house, and I once again started thinking about a motorcycle. That's when, based on my affinity for singles that I picked up a 2001 Savage.

I retired in 2012 and about the same time sold the Savage and got a Kaw Vulcan 800 classic. Although I love the Savage/S40, I wanted something a little larger so my 6 ft 280 lb frame could stretch out a little better. Earlier this year, I also bought a weathered Honda CX500 from my son. It's fun to ride both bikes. The riding positions (cruiser vs standard) are so different.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #18 - 07/09/16 at 20:21:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/06/16 at 07:51:56:
Have you considered an old, ragged Miata?

That's what I'm thinking about, if I get a bike and it is more than I can handle.

Two things.

The Miata is low.  The Fortwo is reasonably tall.  Tall is easier to get in and out of.

I have 50 feet in front of the house.  Driveway takes part of it, so I only have about 38 feet of curb.  Wendy has her Hot Rod Camaro in the driveway, her dad's Sportage (just under 15 feet) and her New Beetle (just under 14 feet) with only leaves me of 9 feet of curb.  Hence, the Fortwo.

The Miata was a hard choice, but I prefer quirky.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/09/16 at 20:42:15

Look, man, you know I like you, but I have to be honest. You don't
Like quirky,, quirky runs in your veins. You Are the Embodiment Of quirky. Embrace it... And avoid the internal conflict of going against your very nature. Peace be with you..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 07/09/16 at 21:21:07

I learned to ride about nine on minibikes,when twelve learned on a Yamaha 60 with clutch & gears. All the local police knew my name and they knew they couldn't catch me so they would park in front of my parents house and wait for me. Those were the days ! Since then I have always had no less than 2 bikes and as many as 8 currently 7. Think the only thing that has kept me off a bike was illness or surgeries. Gone thru a lot of changes over the years,got married and raised 4 daughters but I never just quit riding ! I have quit doing drugs quit drinking quit smoking at times but never quit riding. Family is the most important thing in my life and motorcycles are what keeps me sane enough to deal with everything else. When I swing a leg over the bike & go all else is forgotten until I get back home. Hopefully I won't ever have to quit riding. Its all I know or I want to know. I hope none of you ever have to quit riding. Godspeed !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 07/10/16 at 08:46:34

I learned to ride in the bush and had a bunch of off-road bikes plus a few road ones. When I moved to the city I brought my DR and my Ducati with and used them to get meto work and for laughs. Then, got skittled by some arseclown not looking and that really put me off. Had a little one by then and the cons seemed to outweigh the pros. I kept the bikes though, just laid them up in case. IDK how long I had off but must have been 8 years or more. For some reason, the fire relit and "Must Ride". Dragged the old duke out, put some fuel and a new battery in and it started like I'd just used it yesterday. Still have that old nail and it runs great. Lucky for me, I have 2 kids now who love to ride and the wife is ok too. She finished her midwifery degree a couple years ago and treated herself to a new Monster to celebrate. So, I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/10/16 at 08:50:22

I've been on and off bikes too many times to post about, my attitude goes from gung ho to F it pretty frequently, then back to gung ho ahain

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:35:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.