Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted? (Read 207 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted?
07/03/16 at 17:27:28

In a RSD thread we started talking about those of us who used to ride, stopped for a long time, then started again. I am curious about those stories.

For me the gap was 1979-2012. I wrecked my back doing construction work and couldn't drive, much less ride, for quite a while. Riding became part of my past. Then my brother offered me his 2007 S40, which he hadn't ridden in 3 years (he rides a Bonneville and two Harleys), if I picked it up. So I read a couple books on motorcycle safety, bought a helmet and a bus ticket, and in 4 days I had my first 350 miles under my belt - gave myself two days to learn to ride again and two more to ride it back from near Syracuse to Beverly, MA, near Boston.

What are others' experiences?

David

- David
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: How many here have rode, stopped, & restar
Reply #1 - 07/03/16 at 18:03:24

I brought a Jawa Model 634 350cc in 1976 and taught myself to ride. I commuted and never did any long trips. The Jawa was reliable by the standards of the day, but it had its eccentricities, like losing a cylinder in any heavy rain. I ended up with a can of CRC strapped to the bike. I logged 20000 plus miles.
In 1979 I was thrown off it by a rotating Morris Oxford, Google Morris Oxford, if you don't know what that is. I spent a month in hospital and sustained a nasty gash in my right foot. Friends repaired the Jawa, but the bush in the steerring head had been damaged and the thing would always shudder under any sort of braking, this did nothing for my confidence. About a year later I was overtaking a car, when a dog ran in front of it. The driver braked hard and the rear of the car swung round and took me off. I gave up in disgust.
A few years after my mother died, I began to notice Suzuki GN 250'S about the place. I liked the look, and they were cheap new by New Zealand standards. In late 2007 I enrolled for a two hour refresher course, and am eternally grateful that I did. I subsequently brought a GN250 and enjoyed it for a little over 11000 miles. My only issue was that it was a little under powered for long distance riding. During 2010 I noticed a weird looking bike in the Suzuki dealer ship. It was a strange purple and cream colour, but it appeared cheap by NZ standards. It had a low seat height, so every now and then I would sit on it. It had one cylinder and didn't look like a crotch rocket. I also looked at a GSF 500 or something, which looked like a crotch rocket but was a lot dearer. Then a silver and  pearl white S40 turned up and I had to have it. I've had over 33000 very pleasant miles since late September 2010. Including one 3000 odd mile trip. No mechanical issue to speak of.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted?
Reply #2 - 07/03/16 at 18:38:37

Off 1978-2009. Rode 19,000 miles on my Savage. Off again due to health. May be done. Seeking treatment for Neuropathy.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/03/16 at 19:02:40

I think I bought my first bike around 1960 and motorcycles became my primary transportation for several years.  I rode until about 1972 when I gave it up because of the demands of work and life in general.  I started riding again in 2011, when I joined this forum and I hope to ride for several more years.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 07/03/16 at 19:54:57

I had one year in collage where I couldn't afford a bike and a car ...  Undecided , the car was a Datsun 110 that got 40mpg ??? .  My Yamaha RD250 had just died of alt. problems .  Embarrassed

so

For one year I didn't have a bike --- then I came across a Honda 185 twin that fit my budget and the Worse Year of my life was over !!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 07/03/16 at 20:56:47

I started riding when I was 8 or 9. Got my first street bike when I was 16, an old beat up Honda 350 that had to be push started due to both starters being messed up. I put about 20,000 on that bike and never did fix either starter. In the early 80's I got a '76 Goldwing.  Got married in 87 and the wife, who knew I rode and had ridden with me, pitched a fit every time I rode.  I also have a hiatal hernia that was really being bothered by riding. Eventually, it was just easier to not bother than to fuss about it.  I stopped riding somewhere around 89 or 90. I still have the old Goldwing...don't have the wife. Smiley I 2012 I ran across an 87 Savage for a price I could afford and got back into riding.  I sure am glad I did.  I miss my old Goldwing. Hope one day I can restore it and ride it again before I kick the bucket.  I still have the hiatal hernia but it doesn't bother me much or too often. But, I now also have emphysema, carpal tunnel and lower back pain.

I was off bikes for about 14 or 15 years.  Never again until I can't physically ride anymore.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #6 - 07/05/16 at 10:45:30

I rode as a kid from the mid 70s until mid 1989 without a motorcycle endorsement on my license. I had a really good friend get killed on a bike and the desire kind of left for a year or two. By the time I was interested again, life had intervened and I was married with a small child. So I didn't ride again until 2007. I bought a left over '06 S40 and took the Ohio BRC (that's their equivalent of an MSF course) and have been riding since. I had put almost 25,000 miles on the S40 by May of '14 when I traded it in on the Vision. I've put almost 13K miles on the Vision since then.

I appear to be making up for lost time. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/05/16 at 12:21:24

I lived for motorcycles from junior high until I graduated from high school. I spent all my spare time riding.....weekends i was racing.  I sold my  1974 TM125 racing motorcycle when the RM125 came out in 1975.  I sold my Suzuki RE5 when I went to college.

I had about a 28 year gap without any motorcycle while I went to college and started my profession........in hindsight it was a big mistake, and I should have made an effort to own and ride a motorcycle during those years.

I am going my best to make up for the time lost.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 07/05/16 at 12:33:31

Making up for lost time seems to be a common theme for us "restarters." Dave, when you got back on after 28 years, was there a learning curve, or did riding just come right back?

- David
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/05/16 at 12:35:04

Dave has the cleanest lines I have ever seen, ever since he first got his first white Savage.

He raced earlier and it stuck with him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/05/16 at 15:02:58

Thanks Oldfeller....but I think I still have a lot to learn about riding on the road.  My early career was in the dirt, and bumps/ruts often dictated the best line.  I am thankful that I learned in the dirt.....I think it really taught me how to use the front brake well.

I started back on a trials bike....which is mostly balance and coordination, and I got a few years of practice before I ever put a wheel on pavement.  I do believe that the basics stayed with me over the 28 year gap - but I most certainly had to relearn some skills.  Following you guys around on the Dragon run helped a lot.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 07/05/16 at 22:51:56

Let's see, started in ''65 with the Suzuki 150; sold it and bought the Goldstar in '69; added the SR500 in '78 and sold it in '84; sold the Goldstar in '91 due to "Poor Folks Time"; without a bike until '99-'00 sometime when I was GIFTED with a brandy spanking new '96 Savage...it was taking a very long nap in the crate since it had been put together at the factory.
It was a Fathers Day Gift from my Very Good Son !

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 07/06/16 at 07:03:08

While I enjoy riding, I do not ride for fun.  For me, a motorcycle is cheap transportation.

'64 Honda 50 sport.  Sold for a Bugeye and '65 and crashed.  Moved to LaLaLand, enlisted in ''66. In '67, a Yamaha Twinjet 2-stroke 2-cylider 100, in Detroit, left with a buddy.  Left the Air Farce in '70 in Georgia, a '65 Impala, swap for a Spitfire, swap for a Pinto.  Uncle wanted a bike to carry his motorhome, talked him into a Suzuki RV125 instead of a Honda Cub, got a Yamaha DT175.  Rode that from '74 to '86 when I went and got married (not my idea, she bewitched me!)  Can't carry babies/little kids on a motorcycle.  Not to mention that I can't justify the chance of killing myself while I have kids.  *sigh*    '04, needed wheels, wasn't able to buy my company van, but needed cheap transportation, wife saw an ad for a motorcycle, just $99 a month, new.  "Have you considered a motorcycle?"
  Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes
Dual-sports, while are excellent in the city, have gotten too tall for me.  Sport bikes are butt ugly (IMO) so I was looking at the 250 cruisers -- 330 pounds lightweight easy riding freeway capable -- until I noticed the Savage.  Hmmm.  Only 50 pounds heavier.  Found one, sat on one, fit near perfect.  Bought one.  Neglected oil, killed it, looking for a replacement, didn't need the speed or the weight, and no longer liked swinging a leg over a saddle, got the Vespa.  Getting slow, looking not quite good enough, dropped the scoot, road rash left ankle and knee.  Two months again, less rash right ankle and knee, but buggered my shoulder and broke 4 ribs.  "Third time is the charm" and I don't need more pain so I am a hamster in a cage.  *sigh*    Hey, it hasn't been that much fun for the last 12 years wearing a darn helmet.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/06/16 at 07:51:56

Have you considered an old, ragged Miata?

That's what I'm thinking about, if I get a bike and it is more than I can handle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 07/08/16 at 14:36:36

I have . . .a few times.

First motorcycle 100 Kawasaki 15 yrs old. I rode it til I killed it about 3 yrs later.

Started a family then took a big jump here to the next bike 1976 AMF FLH Harley Davidson; bought it when I was 23 or 24 yrs old. Kept & rode this bike until I think I was 38 or 39 - - maybe 40; not sure. Had a farm and needed equipment more than the bike.

Another dry spell until age 44-45. I bought an old Honda 550/4. never been without some kind of bike since then.

At some point I ended up with a 1 Cyl. scooter and I became hooked on singles. The LS650 is the first road bike (other than a scooter) that has been a single. I've had a couple dirt bikes I tried to gear for the road but never really liked them. I've been buying, fixing and selling bikes now for around 3 years now; I'm 59.
I'm hooked on Singleness and I've got the Harley thing out of my system but I've ridden with a few 883's and I like them. Nice bikes. I also like the BMW airheads. I'd buy one for the right price - - -pre 96 that is.

Right now I've got as bunch of bikes in various stages of repair. Mamma says no more bikes until I get rid of something. But she NEVER goes out to the barn  Huh

The Savage is the only one not up for sale  Wink

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:26:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › How many here have rode, stopped, & restarted?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.