Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
a lucky biker
06/29/16 at 04:49:57

A article this morning,

Shocking video shows loose cargo careening into motorcyclist on Minnesota freeway

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/national/shocking-video-shows-loose-ca...

ALWAYS WATCH OUT! Keep plenty of clean air around you.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: a lucky biker
Reply #1 - 06/29/16 at 06:17:21

Lucky guy. I am always careful behind trailers and loaded trucks, but in his case even a little distance didn't help because the float seemed to zip around in the turbulence right in his way.

I'll give him a 7 on the landing. Both wheels, but he didn't permanently stick it.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/29/16 at 08:47:57

Thank God he is ok. Ride alert my friends. May God be with us all.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/29/16 at 09:10:41

Lucky would have missed it... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/29/16 at 09:16:03

It sure looks like he had a bit of "Target Fixation" going....and rode into the darn thing!  (I realize it is easy to armchair quarterback on these kind of things).

I often load up a trailer with something I need to haul, and I try to do a good job getting it all secured - but I am amazed how close folks will get behind my trailer on the highway.  Folks who are in a hurry will pull right up behind the trailer as if to signal me that I need to hurry up and get out of their way....and if something came off the trailer they wouldn't have a chance of taking and evasive action.

I sure hope the LEO can look at that video and find a license number or boat registration number....and find out who lost the load!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/29/16 at 12:40:29

And always pack a spare pair of underwear !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/29/16 at 13:53:37

Serowbot wrote on 06/29/16 at 09:10:41:
Lucky would have missed it... Grin

Bingo.. And I laughed at that..

I would have been speeding up and taking the plate numbers..
Once the guy quit sliding and I knew that I would not mash him.

Maybe someone will recognize the boat...

Fixation does look to be a contributing factor.
Racing Rules, drive At the wreck. It's gonna be gone when you get there.

I've hauled loads, and lost stuff, and I am very careful about getting near a load.
PVC pipe, had the top layers tied in.. how the lower stuff got away I can't understand..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 06/29/16 at 14:10:29

When I was 16 and a new driver, I popped the clutch on my dad's work truck trying to hot-dog it and all of the plywood, a railroad tie, and other materials slid right out on the road at 45mph due to the plastic bedliner. It was a busy 2 lane county road and I'm sure I pooped a little in my pants I was so scared. Thankfully I turned around and got to the debris field before any other traffic passed in that lane.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/29/16 at 15:00:05

he was lucky it wasn't the boat.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/14/16 at 11:13:35

He tried to move to the center lane,I would have pulled in the clutch and headed for the that nice soft grass center median,easier on you and the bike even if you had to lay it dow to stop.You alwasys have the chance to move left or right,but  he was coming up on the trailer not leaving himself enough time /room to make that decision .(newbie )

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/14/16 at 14:15:19

he was coming up on the trailer not leaving himself enough time /room to make that decision .(newbie )

TECHnically, the guy who lost the load is to blame.
But, it would not have happened to me.
I don't get closer to things than I have to. I would not have been dead center, either.

When I am passing a big truck I get my spot behind it, wait till the car ahead is clear, ZIP on by... I don't Get trapped next to a load or slinging gators.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 07/14/16 at 18:28:06

I'm with JOG. Watch everything and always, if at all possible, leave yourself an out.  Don't get too close to anything that might stand a chance of coming loose and getting in the road. When you pass it, get by and go on, no p***yfooting around.

Last year I left to go to the gas station.  Sounds easy enough. Have to ride a 4-lane with paved median for about 1/2 mile.  I hit the 4-lane and way down by the gas station I already spotted somebody who wasn't right past all the other cars and all those around him.  I kept an eye on him as he got closer. As he got closer, I could tell he was falling asleep and sure enough he started making a nice gentle arc right for me. Had I not seen or been prepared, he would have crossed in front of me just about right for me to hit the rear quarter of his car. I simply hit the brakes and moved over into the median.  He passed 20 feet in front of me crossed the rest of the road and went out in the field. He was OK. Car was banged up pretty bad from jumping a 6inch curb, taking out a telephone pole and trail riding a couple hundred feet in the field. After calling and reporting it, I sat for a couple minutes cause it did shake me up a little.  You know the shake-up comes after, when you aren't reacting automatically to the situation and you have time to think about what just happened.

ALWAYS pay close attention to everything around you. Spotting that problem a quarter mile away is much better than realizing there's a problem 100 feet away.

In this case, I agree, the guy who lost the load is to blame for the wreck that ensued. If the rider had been more aware of what was happening, he could have done something sooner and probably avoided the wreck. I'm glad he's ok...but, man, pain is a great teacher.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 07/14/16 at 20:57:22

I was watching "motorcycle wrecks on U-Tube"  ,  Yea , the cages don't use their turn signals , and some of those newbies on bikes don't use their Brains .  Wink

Why didn't that feller in this video hit his brakes when the load started to come loose ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxV_a32lhk

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/15/16 at 04:20:33

I have watched a lot of the YouTube videos with bike crashes.  I hope it helps me to recognize what not to do on the highway.

It seems that some bikers feel that they are invincible, not bound by traffic laws, and when they speed into intersections or pass slower cars.....the cars sometimes are in the process of making turns (without using turn signals). In that video that MMRanch posted....at around 2:18 an impatient fellow decides to get right next to a car while it is turning, and he goes down as a result.

A lot of the crashes come from folks traveling twice the speed of the cars, and at intersections cars turn in front of the bike as they can't see the bike when the cars at the intersection block the view of the fast approaching motorcycle.

When you watch the scooter crashes.....those folks are in a real hurry, and when they need to stop quickly it appears that the front wheel locks up, the steering goes sideways and the bike drops.  (Perhaps they never practice good braking technique or scooter brakes are really touchy).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 03:11:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › a lucky biker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.