Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for a shop in the LA area (Read 50 times)
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Looking for a shop in the LA area
06/20/16 at 17:53:51

Hi!  Reposting from another thread, hopefully this is a more appropriate spot -

Hi all!  I have an 86 Savage that I've done lots of little things over the last 5 years to, all minor mostly (re jetting, raptor petcock, cone filter yada yada).  I travel for a living though and I've fallen behind in maintenance and the little projects Ive started on it and need a helping hand!  Looking for a shop recommendation in the SoCal area (I live on the west side near Venice if that helps) that I could get a professional once over from, looking to get it checked out and cleaned up, I have a fresh gasket set id like installed and if they could put in the forward control extensions I bought even better.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Looking for a shop in the LA area
Reply #1 - 06/20/16 at 20:08:38

Hominy miles?
You done the cam chain tensioner?
Whyzit need gas kits?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 06/20/16 at 20:28:09

I wouldn't replace gaskets "just because". If they aren't leaking leave them alone. I would only replace a gasket because I had to pull apart something that involves a gasket.

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/21/16 at 12:47:59

It leaks oil, not sure where you are quoting the 'just because' from?  Has about 24k miles, haven't done chain tensioner, I am only home 1 week every month on average and id rather spend that time riding than wrenching, just looking for a shop to get me out.  Anybody know a shop in the LA area?  Riot Cycles is closed apparently otherwise I'd head there...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/21/16 at 16:44:45

If you have the$$$$ then call around and see what they can do.
The tensioner is not something to ignore. You can expect to swap the motor if it lets go.
Telling a mechanic to swap out the gaskets is asking for a shifting. I would know what is leaking. Head plug isn't uncommon .
Finding a mechanic who knows crap about the savage is rare.
I don't know Who pays when a bolt strips/breaks.
We've seen a  couple taken in for an oil change and needed an engine after they screwed up.
I understand Want to ride...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/21/16 at 19:03:37

Right on, so I actually asked around and did some calling and eventually was referred to Bob at 'the shop directly across from Garage Company in Inglewood', which turns out to be Moto Classic Garage.  I spoke to Bob, good vibe, he had his roommates Savage at the shop currently helping him out, was a Suzuki mechanic back when the Savage was first introduced he told me and said he enjoys working on them.  So I'll let you know how it goes, but he at least came across as having no reason to lie about being confident working on older Savages.  Cool!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/21/16 at 19:10:34

An old mechanic who is familiar with the savage? You're a lucky dude.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:14:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looking for a shop in the LA area

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.