stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Cheap GPS
06/20/16 at 07:10:13

Ok...I'll admit I am posting this question versus digging through old posts.

I got my battery tender USB adapter so now I am able to connect 'stuff' to my bike that may need a charge.  With that, I recall some of you folks noting there were cheap phones we could get and use as a GPS without enabling the phone function or requiring any data usage, etc?  Or was I not understanding?  I'd buy a cheap phone for $30, but NOT if it required any "enabling" or connecting to a network, etc.

Or, is there a cheapo true GPS we recommend?  I would only use a GPS a few times a year out on group rides out of town, but it would be cool to have something when the need is there.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cheap GPS
Reply #1 - 06/20/16 at 07:39:36

Oldfeller is the expert on getting cheap phones to do things....but on this weekend he was using his phone sparingly to navigate so he wouldn't be using up his data.

I used a combination of my Garmin GPS and my Iphone while traveling....they both have their good and weak points.

You can buy used Garmin GPS units on eBay pretty cheap.  MMRanch is using one he got for $ 5.00 and it works just fine.  It is not a waterproof version - but he has gotten it wet several times and it keeps right on working.  I doubt if he has had any map updates so as roads change...the stored information might be out of date.  Be careful to find out what maps are loaded on the GPS if you buy one....as the data for the US is too big to fit all at once, and you need to have the data for the area you are riding in (don't buy a GPS from CA if you are riding in TN).  If the seller has a lifetime map subscription....have them update it for the region you live before sending it to you (I don't believe the lifetime subscriptions are transferable).  The lifetime map update is something like $ 80....or this place is supposed to provide it for free.
http://www.mygpsmapupdates.com/garmin/free-garmin-map-updates

I have a Gamin Nuvi 500 and it is made for motorcycles and is waterpoof....I bought it used for $ 125 and I did spend the $ 80 for the lifetime map update.  It works fine for traveling from place to place provided the map lists a name for the town....if you are trying to find instersections without names it is a bit more cumbersome.  Storing routes is possible....but is time consuming.  You can go to Google Maps and get coordinates - but the map is in decimal degrees and the Garmin uses Hours/Minutes/Seconds for coordinates - so you have to do a conversion.  You can get this information and store it in the Favorites.....so you can access it while on the move.  (If you come to the July event MMRanch and I can walk you through the good, the bad, and the ugly about using a Garmin).

I have an Iphone that is supplied by my work, and it has unlimited data....so using it for navigation is OK.  I used it a bit over the weekend....and it actually is more convenient than my Garmin as long as you can get a connection to a cell tower.  When you are setting up a route it needs to have access....once underway you can lose the internet signal and it will continue on the route as long as you can get a GPS signal.  You can't change the route if you lose the cell signal, and when you arrive at your destination you can't set up a new route unless you have a cell signal.  The cell phone method is pretty handy as you can just scan a map and touch the screen and set a "pin"where you want to go - or you can search a town name....or you can do a search for a business/campground/park/etc. and tell the phone to take you there.  An added bonus for me is that I have a Sena SMH headset with bluetooth....and the phone can tell me the route directions in my helmet!

So....for on the cheap.  You can likely buy a used GPS unit pretty cheap.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 06/20/16 at 07:49:29

I have a LG Lucky from Straight Talk, $20 at Wally World. I use the DigiHud speedo app for my main Speedo, works off gps. There are several map apps that work well and you can download the state maps as needed. I never activated it as a phone, but the 911 service is still supposed to work if needed. I have the MagicJack app on it so anywhere I have wifi I can use it as my home phone. It is  a little small to try to use as a moving map on the move, but it is well worth $20 bucks.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/20/16 at 08:12:59

I think using gps can at times be self defeating,If I'm going somewhere new I find it's much better to use mapquest,to get there,but I usually take the "the long way home"which means I just point the bike in the general direction and go.Even number RTE's go north and south,odd go east and west, If the sun is out your bike is casting a shadow,to the left-east ,right-west etc. How lost can you get? If it's overcast carry a compass,long trip a map and compass.K.I.S.S. A gps used to find my house will take you to a town in the next county 17 miles SE(nearest post office) and then N 20 miles adding 25 miles to your trip, mapquest gives you turn by turn and a direct route. beside I live in the mts. and there is no cell phone that works at my house ,even this computer is on a dish.If your traveling interstate you can get free maps at most welcome centers.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 06/22/16 at 06:18:09

I don't think I've ever paid over $80 for a GPS unit, even when the were new on the market.
You can get covers for them to keep them from getting wet, the trick is, putting them in the cover before the rain hits you! LOL (I fried our cheapest one on the texas run last year)
What I have done with our current Nuvi is to put a sandwich bag and a bread tie in my bag and use that when it rains... works perfect.

The wife and I use our GPS on trips to get to where we want to go, enjoy everything, and then turn it off on the way back home, makes the home trip fun a lot of times.
And if we run into some shady area's... we use the GPS to get us back on track and turn it off again Smiley

EDIT:
Speaking of Ebay here is one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuvi-1490-Portable-GPS-Navigator-No-Reserve-au...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/22/16 at 09:03:56

Thanks gang.  I did a little shopping and found a little garmin nuvi 300 in really good shape for $25. Looks like it's small and compact for the limited space on my bike and I'm hopeful it'll do the trick.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 06/22/16 at 11:07:29

Thanks for the input here guys. BTW stew, I put the spacer you sent me under the rear pulley Monday when i changed out the tire . . . Nice��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/22/16 at 11:18:50

stewmills wrote on 06/22/16 at 09:03:56:
Thanks gang.  I did a little shopping and found a little garmin nuvi 300 in really good shape for $25. Looks like it's small and compact for the limited space on my bike and I'm hopeful it'll do the trick.

I found out something lately that might help you out.  Before going to a place like Deals Gap.....which is not located in town and for some reason doesn't have a working mailing address.  You can then save those locations in your GPS with a name....(like Deals Gap, Wayah Road, etc.) that will help you find the place while you are out riding and then you don't have to use a map or try and enter the data on the fly.

Unfortunately Google Maps and most other places list the GPS coordinates in Decimal Degrees.......while the Garmin uses Degrees/Minutes/Seconds.  You will have to do a conversion before you can load them into your GPS.  It is easy to do with a converter you can easily find online.....but it is horribly confusing when your Garmin won't let you enter the coordinates that Google displays (took me a while to figure out what was wrong).

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 06/22/16 at 11:23:49

Got this off of the tailofthedragon site

GPS Coordinates: Tail of the Dragon  (intersection of US129 & NC28 one mile south of the TN/NC state line) 35.466715,-83.920251 or use street address 17555 Tapoco Road, Robbinsville, NC 28771. NOTE: Using street address does not always produce the correct results. Also search for the intersection of US129 and NC28. Cheesy

Dealsgap site gives this address

17548 Tapoco Road,Robbinsville, NC, 28771.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/22/16 at 11:54:55

old_rider wrote on 06/22/16 at 11:23:49:
Got this off of the tailofthedragon site

GPS Coordinates: Tail of the Dragon  (intersection of US129 & NC28 one mile south of the TN/NC state line) 35.466715,-83.920251

Yep....and those coordinates won't load up in your Garmin.  You will get the first 2 digits in, then when you get to the 3rd digit it can't be higher than 5...the Garmin won't display the numbers 6-9 for you to push.

Here is a site that will convert the coordinates for you:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

The coordinates for Deals Gap in Deg/Min/Secs are:
35 28 0.3786
-83 55 12.903

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/22/16 at 15:10:37

Don't you just Looove intuitive stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/22/16 at 17:02:46

GPS starts here if you are using a phone to do it.   You need to constantly charge the phone if using it as a GPS on your handle bar.

=======================================

You need a good cradle.   Pick one that will NOT drop your phone -- I use a variant of this type of butterfly band cradle.    I also use a safety string made up of heavy upholstery thread (strong nylon thread) sewn through the phone cover/case so if the phone gets loose it has the string and the USB cable to hold it to the bike until I can grab it.

Next, learn how to download maps from Google Maps.   Having the map inside the phone's internal memory means you don't lose GPS functionality every time you get out of range of a cell tower.

Rig up some ear buds in your ears before putting on your helmet -- you do want to be able to hear the turns coming up, etc.

Lastly, you will use up some data up doing this trick.   To minimize this, start your guidance route while sitting in a burger joint using their wifi to get you all powered up, updated and running.   Don't cancel your route until you get there.   This totally minimizes the amount of data you use, while keeping you all googlized on the map quality.   Example: on the last trip I used 150 meg of data between calling my wife repeatedly and navigating here and there.

If you do lose your map due to messing about with clumsy fingers -- go find you some wifi, a bathroom and a senior drink at a Hardees or a Burger King and get it all back together again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:30:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheap GPS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.