Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
american motorcycle tire dot com (Read 110 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
american motorcycle tire dot com
06/11/16 at 10:50:07

I just ordered a rear tire & tube for the Savage last night from American Motorcycle Tire.
A Kenda Challnger in the 130/90 x 15 size @ 66.20 & free shipping. Could have saved a few bucks elsewhere maybe but their site is extremely easy to use, I thought, so I ordered there.

We,ll see how that goes. I need a rear tire bad. I thought long & hard about buying a more expensive tire as Ive put on nearly 3,000 miles in the short time I've had the Savage. I Used to ride bicycle long distance and road on Kenda bicycle tires because they were inexpensive. I had good luck with them there so thought I'd try them on a motorcycle too; once anyway!
I'll let you know how it goes.

« Last Edit: 06/11/16 at 15:24:41 by Gus »  

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: american motorcycle tire dot com
Reply #1 - 06/11/16 at 13:50:39

Why so small?  That is a size SMALLER than stock.  Most of us want to go bigger to slow down the engine at cruze.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 06/11/16 at 15:33:12

badwolf wrote on 06/11/16 at 13:50:39:
Why so small?  That is a size SMALLER than stock.  Most of us want to go bigger to slow down the engine at cruze.

Badwolf, thanks for catching that. The size should have been 130/90 x 15 ! I wanted to try a narrower & taller rear tire. I ride a lot of back gravel roads. My thinking was that the handling might be better with a narrower tire; we'll see!

The current size is 140/80 x 15. I think that is stock. I never bought the bike new but I think the rubber was original!.
I corrected the original post.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 06/11/16 at 16:38:48

Most 130/90 15 tires are about the same size as the stock 140/80 15.  Lay a tape measure out 8' starting at the rear valve stem and roll forward 1 rev to see the circ. Do the same with the new tire (mounted) to see if it's bigger.
Some of guys use the 140/90 15 to slow the engine down a little.  I went with a 150/90 15 and both Kaw pulleys. Stock was 4100 rpm at 60, now it is under 3400! First is a little high, but I got used to it. It's really a heavy tire, but I don't ride or corner hard, and it has a solo seat so no extra passengers.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 06/11/16 at 20:56:29

I seen the pic of your little bagger. BTW , thanks for putting it on for all to see. Nice bike!
I read all the scuttlebutt on tires and I realize; if iI'm gaining anything it isn't much. I'll take what  I can get! I thought I'd try it one go around before going to a 16" wheel on the rear. And yes, I've read the skuttlebutt on that too.
The trouble with this bike is it means alittle something different to everyone that has one. That's some of the fun in having one; I guess!
We need a company that makes a single cylinder for every occasion; that way we could all just buy the bike we want and ride the wheels off it; no?

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/12/16 at 14:46:07

Royal Enfield offers several ways to dress up the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 06/16/16 at 17:32:18

OK tire came today via UPS-- less than a week. According to tracking tube should be here tomorrow by separate carrier (FedEx). Apparently these folks drop ship this stuff from either their warehouse(s) or someone else's.
The Kenda Challenger was dated to be 32 weeks old - to me - it's a keeper. I'll probably have it worn out in a couple years.
They sent me an email upon shipping the tires. I emailed this email address back and they sent me the tracking numbers within a couple hours so I was content knowing there was someone on the other end of the order.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 06/20/16 at 09:50:25

Still don't have the tube. They sent the tube via FedEx. FedEx has turned over to USPS, as I've seen them do in the past with smaller stuff. We live in the hinterlands and FedEx doesnt like sending a truck here. Every time they do that it adds days to a shipment.
I don't expect the tube until tomorrow. Good thing I didn't have the wheel off the motorcycle counting on them.
I can't, of good conscious, recommend this company for tires if you need them badly. Luckily I don't. I still have a few hundred miles left on my current one.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/20/16 at 10:32:12

Gus wrote on 06/20/16 at 09:50:25:
I can't, of good conscious, recommend this company for tires if you need them badly. Luckily I don't. I still have a few hundred miles left on my current one.

Buying tires from any internet supplier is a bit of a gamble if you are in a hurry.  They are are all using the same  "drop ship" method and getting the tires/tubes from the same supplier warehouses.  Most of the time it get shipped fine - but once in a while the suppliers and shippers screw up.  And it is frustrating the tires, tubes and factor parts often come from different suppliers and arrive independently of each other.  I once ordered a 100/80-18 Hidenau Tube that was listed as "in stock" on the dealers website.....only to find out it was going to take 2 weeks for them to get one (they really didn't have it in stock at all).

The only sure bet is if you can find a new (fresh) tire in stock at a local shop.....and that is not real common when our bike has somewhat uncommon sizes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 06/20/16 at 12:43:08

Pardon my French, English or swahelian but the local shop wants a whorehouse price for tires they don't even stock. I buy alot of stuff online for a couple reasons: I don't like shopping in town, I live to far from major (minor) shopping centers and most of the time they're to expensive anyway. I always try to buy with plenty lead time; as I did this time. A week difference in arrival times seems a bit much though.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/20/16 at 13:03:21

I don't buy my tire locally either.....as I got weird choices in brand and size of tire I want.  And most likely they are not going to have what I need....and they are going to have to order them anyhow.

Now.....if I owned a common bike, with a common size tire, and wanted the latest commonly sold tire.....then maybe I could buy them local.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/20/16 at 13:16:33

If you know who you will be getting to mount it, maybe you could have them drop shipped to the shop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 06/22/16 at 04:22:41

I received the tube Monday and put the tire on forthwith. I've put 120 miles or so on the tire and couldn't be happier other than the fit isn't quite right. I may end up having to move my license plate as it appears to rub on rough roads. So the diameter must be a bit larger than the stock size.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/22/16 at 04:36:18

Gus wrote on 06/22/16 at 04:22:41:
So the diameter must be a bit larger than the stock size.

Yes, the 130/90 is just a tad bit larger in diameter than the 140/80 tire is.

The 130/90 works fine with the stock bike.....you just have modified your bike if the license plate rubs (or you have a huge license plate).

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 06/22/16 at 05:43:03

If there is any changes in the way it handles it would be that it drops into a corner more easily; which kinda caught me off guard.
I road to work again this AM (30 miles) on wet roads and I am liking the Kenda Challenger so far. Wish this bike had a real fender on it . ☔

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:24:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › american motorcycle tire dot com

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.