Send Topic Print
Engine direction (Read 60 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Engine direction
02/07/16 at 00:03:58

I've read in many places not to rotate an engine CW. I've done it a few times cause of a dead battery so it would be easier to bump start. I didn't know not to at the time however. What can rotating the engine backwards do? I've got a new battery and the bike starts and runs fine. I just don't understand what bad it can do. Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Engine direction
Reply #1 - 02/07/16 at 00:39:11

No worries...  if you rotate backwards, you can mistake the compression stroke, for the exhaust stroke, when setting valve timing...
Suck, squish, bang, blow.... you'know?...

...might also effect valve lash, when you measure gap... if you entered backwards....

You did know harm...

Just don't do it so much, that your bike thinks that's what you want...
It's very gullible... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/07/16 at 00:59:14

Thank you Serowbot Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/07/16 at 05:01:47

Now, you get a Detroit Diesel in a forward gear and kill the engine, pushing in the clutch and let the truck roll backwards, pop the clutch, and you'll have it running backwards.

The
Turn the motor CCW instructions are important for engine work.
Getting it off compression to make it easier to start? It dont care.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/07/16 at 06:56:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/07/16 at 05:01:47:
Now, you get a Detroit Diesel in a forward gear and kill the engine, pushing in the clutch and let the truck roll backwards, pop the clutch, and you'll have it running backwards.

Bet it won't do that for very long......on account of the oil pump running backwards and sucking the oil out of the engine and pumping it into the oil pan

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/07/16 at 07:00:12

But wait, that means the supercharger in there would be sucking out ou the intake making a vacuum, instead of pressurizing it. I think. Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/07/16 at 07:25:40

It takes a JOG to run a engine back'erd's... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 02/07/16 at 07:37:54

Redryder652 wrote on 02/07/16 at 07:00:12:
But wait, that means the supercharger in there would be sucking out ou the intake making a vacuum, instead of pressurizing it. I think. Huh

The engines JOG is talking about are the old Detroit Two strokes, and they will indeed run backwards, just like he described. They suck air in the exhaust and exhaust out the air cleaner.

A lot of them were naturally aspirated, especially the LN4's and the LN6's and none of them were supercharged. The ones that were not naturally aspirated were turbocharged.and if you got one running in reverse the impeller in the turocharger didn't spin fast enough to make any difference since it was then on the intake side - no exhaust gas to make it turn.

Emissions regulations put an end to those engines quite a while ago. There are probably some still around 'cause they were very long-lived, reliable engines, particularly in construction equipment and stationary generators, but GM hasn't made them for pretty close to twenty years.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/07/16 at 08:22:24

And, no, you won't get going too fast. There's only one forward gear and that's reverse. I only did it once and then only for a few seconds. Pulling into the shop I bucked it going up onto the slab, it coughed, wheezed clattered and started backing up. I stomped the clutch and brake and pulled out the kill. Never lug a Detroit, they live longer at higher RPM.

Dave makes a good point. I don't know if it would oil running backwards.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/07/16 at 09:19:37

Redryder652 wrote on 02/07/16 at 00:03:58:
I've read in many places not to rotate an engine CW. I've done it a few times cause of a dead battery so it would be easier to bump start. I didn't know not to at the time however. What can rotating the engine backwards do? I've got a new battery and the bike starts and runs fine. I just don't understand what bad it can do. Huh

To answer your question... I hope you have a '95 or later bike!
Anything built prior to that doesn't have a starter torque limiter.  Rotating the engine backwards will engage the starter clutch.  It takes a lot of torque to turn the starter and most times teeth will just break off instead or the journals for the gear shafts will break out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 05:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine direction

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.