Send Topic Print
BACK FIRING! (Read 187 times)
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

BACK FIRING!
08/23/14 at 11:54:39

Hey everyone Im new to this forum so my bad if Im asking a question in the wrong category. But im having issues with my bike backfiring when i turn off and sometimes when shifting from 1-2 & 2-3. I took my carb out i dont no how many times trying different jet sizes and adding spacers to my needle. Right now i am at a 55 pilot and 150 main and still get the backfiring. Ive tookin out the fuel/air adjustment screw and st. My pipes are turn blue ass well. I have a mac preformace exhuast and a cone filter. PLEASE HELP ME GET HER RUNNING RIGHT!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: BACK FIRING!
Reply #1 - 08/23/14 at 13:50:56

how about telling us about your bike?
otherwise all our answers could be wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/14 at 13:56:59

Its a 2003 Suzuki Savage ls650 with only 3000 miles on her. I live in a very humid area (miami Florida). The bike never really had any crazy back firing until i made the upgrades. I dont mind the back firing here and there but when i turn her off it sounds like a shotgun. The idle is smooth to my ear and all gears ride nicely just dont get why she keeps backfiring.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/23/14 at 13:58:29

Stock muffler or ? ?
Stock intake filter or ? ?

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/23/14 at 14:01:08

I added a K & N air intake and a mac exhaust muffler

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/23/14 at 14:02:23

idle mixture screw is a little over 1 and a half turns out

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/24/14 at 20:24:57

Same situation here. I have decreased a decent amount of my backfires during shift transition by not fully dropping the trottle between shifts; however if I have riden even a few minutes and shes gotten warmed up it shotguns every time I shut it off.

95 savage ls650
11,500 mi
Carb plug removed by previous owner, adjusted screw 2-2-1/4 turns to the left from point of the where the engine sounds like its struggling a bit. (Post-warming the engine up)
Jardine Slip on muffler
Stock intake

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/25/14 at 03:23:48

savagetyler650 wrote on 08/23/14 at 13:56:59:
The bike never really had any crazy back firing until i made the upgrades.

savagetyler650 wrote on 08/23/14 at 14:01:08:
I added a K & N air intake and a mac exhaust muffler

The big single on the Savage does not like mufflers that you can see straight through from one end to the other.  If the Mac is that kind of muffler, and you want to run that kind of a pipe, you are going to have to live with the bad behavior.  The DYNA and Supertrapp that have chambers and baffles make the bike easier to tune, and allow the bike to run well, and don't irritate the neighbors with gunfire like explosions.  At shutdown....you get a nice pleasant sounding little...."Woof"  Kinda' makes me think the bike is saying....."Your Welcome"!

Dave

« Last Edit: 08/25/14 at 09:07:17 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 08/25/14 at 08:10:37

If you can't get rid of the shotgun pop through tuning, a simple workaround is to pull out the choke before shutting the engine off. Because it's actually a fuel enrichener, that will either cause the bike to stall or make the mixture rich enough so when you kill the ignition it poofs instead of cracks. At least, that's been my experience, but I'm still relatively new to all this.

- David
  IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/25/14 at 12:20:49

Ive found out that i have an exhuast leak from the muffler when i unraveled my wrap today. not really liking this muffler and it sounds alright. im really thiing about getting the blue collar bobber drag pipe. any good reviews on there product??? t

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 08/26/14 at 18:33:44

Also, stalling out in first or second eliminated the after-fire as well.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/27/14 at 10:59:01

DavidOfMA wrote on 08/25/14 at 08:10:37:
If you can't get rid of the shotgun pop through tuning, a simple workaround is to pull out the choke before shutting the engine off. Because it's actually a fuel enrichener, that will either cause the bike to stall or make the mixture rich enough so when you kill the ignition it poofs instead of cracks. At least, that's been my experience, but I'm still relatively new to all this.

Tried this and it worked; however is ok to pull the choke each time before shutting off? Also, do I just push the choke back in right after it shuts down?

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #12 - 08/27/14 at 17:42:17

before i had my carb tuned to my k&n and straight pipe to avoid the load back fire on turning off the engine i would put it in first gear hold the brake in and let the clutch out with no gas and let it turn off that way.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #13 - 08/27/14 at 18:00:59

Chase wrote on 08/27/14 at 17:42:17:
before i had my carb tuned to my k&n and straight pipe to avoid the load back fire on turning off the engine i would put it in first gear hold the brake in and let the clutch out with no gas and let it turn off that way.

That's what I do. I don't see any way it could hurt it. It runs with the choke out for maybe a second or less.

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/27/14 at 18:54:24

Ive been pulling the choke the last couple rides, been working good so far...poof instead of a gunshot. Sure my neighbors appreciate it Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 18:08:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BACK FIRING!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.