Pizz me off BIG time! (Read 94 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Pizz me off BIG time!
05/31/14 at 14:39:01

Out here on Whidbey the tent caterpillars have devastated a lot of foliage. My apple trees, gone for the season, cherry, nada, white birches, stripped. raspberries, all shot, blueberries, none.....

I hate em!

My back door to my house, you have to sweep to get in or out, ARG!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Pizz me off BIG time!
Reply #1 - 05/31/14 at 14:53:01

You need to make a trap.
get an old glass fish aquarium, bigger the better.
suspend a plant of their liking over it as bait.
they are not on the glass of the door so it must be too slippery to climb.
fill the bottom with soapy water and teach them to swim.

my kids are starting college next year... donations accepted.   Grin

BTW, why do you have a hose bib on a broom handle?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/31/14 at 15:03:29

Holy smokes!,.. yer' livin' in a SciFi channel movie!... Grin Grin Grin...

Caterpocalypse Now!

Catermageddon

Catertastrophy

.. Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 05/31/14 at 15:10:22

BTW, why do you have a hose bib on a broom handle?

Drains off any excess fluid when you stick it up the rear of those who ask asinine questions  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/31/14 at 15:36:21

Tip: Discouraging Tent Caterpillars

We live in southern Ontario, Canada, and tent caterpillars are a big problem. We always had them on our few fruit trees until I read somewhere of a cheap way to discourage them. Just wrap aluminum foil around the tree trunk before it starts to branch out and secure with string. Make sure you do it as soon as possible in the Spring. I was skeptical but for two years now, we have been free of the pesky things.

By Marion

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 05/31/14 at 16:21:20

verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/14 at 15:36:21:
Tip: Discouraging Tent Caterpillars

We live in southern Ontario, Canada, and tent caterpillars are a big problem. We always had them on our few fruit trees until I read somewhere of a cheap way to discourage them. Just wrap aluminum foil around the tree trunk before it starts to branch out and secure with string. Make sure you do it as soon as possible in the Spring. I was skeptical but for two years now, we have been free of the pesky things.

By Marion

Ok......shut off hose bib, extract handle..... you earned it  Kiss

Its not a yearly thing up here, about once a decade, this is by far the worse I've seen. I have about 75 acres around me, not all mine, but the whole island is about 75% forest, some think its a natural mother nature thing, as the alders get so thick they chock out sunlight to the forest floor which can trigger root issues for the evergreens, etc.

This is the very same alder you all buy to smoke meats with, but just like our blackberries, they are a weed up here!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 05/31/14 at 23:33:25

as for the caterpillars.... ever use "home defense"?? so far the only thing I've found that it doesn't kill or keep from the house is earwicks....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 06/01/14 at 02:01:13

Mix some dish soap up in a spray bottle and spray the side of the house. The bugs will not climb the walls and it suffocates them.  Leave the soap on a for a few days. It will not hurt the paint

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/01/14 at 04:52:53

Eeeeeeew!  Creepy!

Sweep them up, put them in a box, and mail them to me.  The fish in my pond love them.  We get a few crawling around our porch, and I just pick them up and throw them in the pond.  I bet I haven't seen more than a dozen this year......they must all be partying at your place.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 06/01/14 at 08:04:42

They climb the house after they are done destroying your vegetation, build a cocoon, then emerge as moths. My house will be one giant cocoon when all is said and done.......

BUT.....

I will never emerge as a harley rider  Cool

Thanks guys for your suggestions, but again, way too many trees to even begin to implement such. I did when they first appeared, to my favorite trees, etc, but it was akin to trying to patch the titanic with bubble gum  Angry  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/01/14 at 08:24:20

Borrow some neighborhood chickens, they love to snack on those bugs.

Buy some BT at Lowes, spray everything, won't harm you OR beneficial insects, but kills caterpillars. Bacteria that eats them from the inside out.

Doesn't the Island have the great massive swarms of starlings that plague and pillage the rest of the west side? They should make short work of the caterpillars...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 06/01/14 at 09:32:23

WD wrote on 06/01/14 at 08:24:20:
Borrow some neighborhood chickens, they love to snack on those bugs.

Buy some BT at Lowes, spray everything, won't harm you OR beneficial insects, but kills caterpillars. Bacteria that eats them from the inside out.

Doesn't the Island have the great massive swarms of starlings that plague and pillage the rest of the west side? They should make short work of the caterpillars...

Yeah, the starlings are here WD, but there are so many the roads under the alders look like fall is here as they drop off....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:57:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pizz me off BIG time!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.