Three Headlight set up (Read 129 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Three Headlight set up
05/27/14 at 18:50:31

I bought some running lights at Auto Zone today. Got into the headlight wiring harness inside the headlight and jumped some wires off the ground (gray and black wire) and white wires (the yellow is high beams). Pulled them through the hole at the back of the headlight.  I screwed the mounting brackets for the lights directly onto the top of the turn signal holders with 1/2 inch pan head self tappers with a little JB Weld on the threads. They didn't go deep enough to hit the wiring inside the turn signal brackets. Wired up the lights then bolted them into the new brackets. I left enough slack wire to be able to pull the headlight out in case I need to change it some day.

3_lites.jpg
  IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Re: Three Headlight set up
Reply #1 - 05/28/14 at 00:55:01

Looks like a good installation!  Have you tried them out at night yet?  These stock headlights don't really do much good.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/28/14 at 03:18:10

S-P

Our bikes is pretty limited on electrical capacity.  Some have tried this and the bike failed to generate enough electrical power and the battery goes dead after a while.

You might want to unplug the wires for the front yellow running lights to save about 6 watts (3 watts each).

It could be that you have to ride long enough that it won't be a problem like it is for folks who take short trips around town.....which doesn't give the battery much time to recharge.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/28/14 at 08:46:57

had a pair looks the same 50w each started having battery issues

have a toggle sw mounted in the left side cover was running leds for awhile had trouble with vibration (same housings just swapped out the bulbs) gave up on those now have a amber led strip across the brace between my ed l forward controls more to be noticed than anything else

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 05/28/14 at 09:52:50

Thanks for the heads up. Dave do you know which wires are the running lights? Can I unplug them in the harness under the tank somewhere. I'm not sure of the wattage. I'll have to turn them on tonight and see how bright they are.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/28/14 at 10:02:45

Add a decent sized capacitor to the light harness. End of problem. You have to treat these machines like you would any other older British motorcycle with Lucas electrical parts. ALL lower end J.A. Pan Inc motorcycles use Lucas based generator/alternator designs. As do nosecone Big Twin Harley Davidson bikes. Yamaha even had the gall to fit the XS series with "lighting coils" to make up for some of the weak sister electrical output. You could grab an XS650 "lighting coil" and splice it into the driving lamp harness, take some load off the main system...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 05/28/14 at 10:29:11

WD, I'm a little electricity challenged but can follow directions. Could you draw up a diagram for adding a capacitor and what size etc? Sounds doable if I need it and sounds like I might.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/28/14 at 11:23:21

S-P wrote on 05/28/14 at 09:52:50:
Thanks for the heads up. Dave do you know which wires are the running lights? Can I unplug them in the harness under the tank somewhere. I'm not sure of the wattage. I'll have to turn them on tonight and see how bright they are.

If you go into the headlight bucket, you will see the turn signals both have 3 wires running to them.  The black wire with white spots is the ground, and it should be the same color on both the right and left signals.  The right turn signal is a light green wire and the right running light is a dark green wire, the left turn signal is solid black and the left running light is grey.  (If I got any of that backwards....you will know if the running light still works but the turn signal does not).

Dave

« Last Edit: 05/29/14 at 04:33:51 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 05/28/14 at 14:54:46

Thanks, Dave! I checked the box and the lights are 35 watt halogens (each). A lot of my trips are 6-10 miles with an occassional 2-5 miler. I may see if I can find some lower wattage halogens since I'm not really using them to see the road, just to be seen.  The capacitor fix sounds like a good option to keep all my frontal lighting.

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #9 - 05/28/14 at 23:28:31

Hey, you might also want to check out your harness under the tank for a bit of a melt. I upgraded my headlight lamp to same wattage but higher lamp temp (silverstar blue) and recently had some issues. was losing all of my front end lights and horn. took the tank off and checked that big connector. The 12vt+ Orange wire that runs to all the switches that goes to horn/headlight/running lights turn signals ect.. had a bit of melt and corrosion on it. Cleaned it up and everything is fine. I cant say for sure that the cause was the lamp change but it didn't start till then and adding more draw will cause connectors to heat and possibly corrode/melt, especially if there is already corrosion there. Its a big thing in theatrical lighting, what i do, if you have a corroded lamp and you put it in a clean socket, it will corrode the socket and vise-versa. if it starts it will continue.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/28/14 at 23:46:55

It will take some serious digging. The guy from the old forum, who came up with wiring in the capacitor, died a couple years ago. I'll have to figure out how to find and then search an archived inactive website.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 05/28/14 at 23:54:16

GridMonkey wrote on 05/28/14 at 23:28:31:
Hey, you might also want to check out your harness under the tank for a bit of a melt. ... adding more draw will cause connectors to heat and possibly corrode/melt, especially if there is already corrosion there. Its a big thing in theatrical lighting, what i do, if you have a corroded lamp and you put it in a clean socket, it will corrode the socket and vise-versa. if it starts it will continue.

Thanks for the heads up on that!  I'll watch for flicker on the lights for sure and check the wiring when I have the tank off for maintenance stuff.  I rode the bike tonight and the new lights are pretty bright and definitely light up the road better. I have a newer model so I do have the headlight cut out when I hit the starter button. I don't turn the key on until I'm suited up and really ready to start so I don't sit with the lights on for more than 10-15 seconds. Hopefully that will help the battery drain issue.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 05/29/14 at 00:07:20

Thanks, WD. Don't stay up late digging, but if you find it, that would be really cool and probably a good thing to have on the tech documents. I'm inclined to do that before shutting off forward running lights, especially in Arizona.  Every morning on the traffic report there are at least two bike accidents...  :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 05/29/14 at 07:13:24

If you want better visibility in daylight,... look into a headlight modulator...
They do catch yer' eye...  pricey though, a $100+... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/29/14 at 08:26:52

Serowbot wrote on 05/29/14 at 07:13:24:
If you want better visibility in daylight,... look into a headlight modulator...
They do catch yer' eye...  pricey though, a $100+... Huh...

This will start a debate so let me be the first to jump in. Yes they do catch the eye. They could also be interpreted as a friendly flash for the cage to go ahead and pull out or make that left turn.

I did all the research on modulating headlights and could not find any definitive study. The verdict is still out, just a bunch of one person, first hand opinions.

Since I installed a Kisan modulator on the C50 three months ago and, despite my increasing girth, I still consider myself one person, let me share what I have experienced.

1. Oh heck yes, they get folks attention. I have had drivers pull over as I approach, or pass me at 80mph and seeing the headlight in the rear view mirror, immediate resume the posted speed limit thinking I was a LEO.

2. I have noticed many drivers begin to pull out in front of me then stop abruptly as they see the modulator. I have had two drivers pull out in front of me causing me to swerve to miss them. Both were young, female, and on the old cell phone. No broad generalization here, just a statement of fact. Both were from a side street with a stop sign that led onto a four land road. I was in the right lane. I don't believe the modulator was a contributing factor. They were pulling out anyway. However, it also did not prevent them from pulling out.

3. Other than that, I have not had any issues. I have, however, begun using the modulator in selected situations. I turn it off on city or neighborhood roads with controlled intersections. I have it on while riding a four lane boulevard if I can stay in the left lane. If I am using the right lane, I turn it off. I keep it on when riding the highways and interstates. I plan to keep using it.

So everyone knows, the one I have works on the high beam only and has a light sensor that shuts off the modulation feature at night. The modulation is not full on/off. It goes from full bright to about 20% at 240 cycles a minute. Flipping the headlight switch to low beam turns it off. The Federal DOT regulations specifically allow it on motorcycles so it is legal in all 50 states.

I do not consider the modulator as a complete solution for the visibility issue but I do consider it as one more tool in the tool bag. As I note, I also wear a white helmet( all the good guys do) and hi-viz yellow/green jacket.

For what it is worth

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:05:55