Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dale Jarrett Racing Experience (Read 146 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dale Jarrett Racing Experience
05/27/14 at 05:06:01

On Sunday I was able to cash in the birthday present that my wife gave me.  She gave me 8 laps driving a Sprint/Nationwide series racecar around the Kentucky Speedway!

Now I raced motocross and hare scrambles on motorcycles in my youth, and as an adult I had fast sports cars and raced autocross.  I know something about apexing corners, setting up for turns, braking and throttle control....and as much as that might have helped me.....it did nothing to help me understand what I was about to experience.

The instructors have hand signals for applying throttle, the driving line, and braking, and there are cones along the track to signal when you let off the throttle prior to the turn, apply partial throttle mid turn, and full throttle at the exit to the turn.  On the first lap I did what the cones told me and my lap speed average was 104 mph and my top speed was 128 when I entered the turn...this lap was not all that graceful.  This lap felt incredibly fast and I thought the car was not going to be able to corner at those speeds.  With each lap I was instructed to let off the throttle later in the straight, apply throttle sooner in the mid turn, and apply full throttle sooner....and each lap took about 5 seconds off the previous lap time and gained about 5 mph of speed.  Around  lap 4 I felt the car starting to work the slicks and the car had a feeling like it was digging the front slicks into the track when entering the corner and I could feel it scrubbing off speed.  As I came out of the corner I could feel the front slicks start to shudder if I applied too much throttle too soon....and the instructer was just a bit faster than me to catch that and signal me to ease up on the throttle a bit and with the next 4 laps I got better at doing that.  On the last lap I was catching another car on the long front straight and I wondered if I would have to back off a bit and follow them around the track.  The instructor signaled me to keep on the throttle long after the orange cone where I was supposed to let up on the throttle....and we were quickly coming right up to the back of the other car as we were on the same driving line.  When my car was a couple of lengths behind the other car I was signaled to get off the gas and drive to the bottom side of the track....and we flew by the car at 148.6 mph and dove into turn 1!  My car took a "set" and wallowed around the corner with an unebelievable amount force.......up until now I would never have believed a car could corner like this!

The entire driving experience lasted only about 6 minutes....and I was mentally exhausted.  The instructor had taken me so far out of my comfort zone that all my senses where overwhelmed.  I am sure with a bit more seat time it would not be so mentally draining - it was an incredibly fast training session and I had so little time to become accustomed to what a "real" race car can do.

If any of you have a need for speed.....save up and do this while you still have the physical and mental stamina.  It is expensive....the 8 laps was $ 400 and it works out to almost a $ 1.00 a second for my time on the track.  There were 2 people signing us in, 2 instructors giving us the classroom sessions, 2 folks helping us suit up, 4 folks getting you into a car, 6 cars and 6 instructors on the track, and 2 folks in the timing trailer....I have no idea how many people are behind the scenes working on the cars and transporting them all over the country.  Additionally the track had to be rented, emergency folks on standby, and the track workers....and they have to maintain and keep tires and fuel in the race cars.  Doing this has to be an expensive business - so it does not surprise me that it is not cheap to purchase a lap.  However......I have never done anything that was this thriling.....ever!

If you wan to have a completely overwhelming experience, save up lunch/beer/pinball money.......and go do this before the lawyers or politicians find out what it going on!  This was so much fun it can't possibly be legal! Grin

http://www.racingadventure.com/racecars/

« Last Edit: 05/27/14 at 08:18:29 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dale Jarrett Racing Experience
Reply #1 - 05/27/14 at 08:02:08

Quote:
She gave me 8 laps driving a Sprint/Nationwide series racecar around the Kentucky Speedway!

Your wife is a real keeper!  It does a body good to have an experience like that.  We all need to go outside our comfort zone occasionally.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/27/14 at 08:32:52

I could crash that... Huh...  ..in 2 laps...

Can I get a refund for the other 6?... Grin...

Congratulations, Dave...  did you get any pics?... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 05/27/14 at 08:35:24

'dega .... 168 mph

Me and my dern little body was really too small for the seat/position, but these cars dont have seat rails... My buddy lapped me at 172 mph..

I still get email from them about monthly on specials. They almost got me with a Fer F40 run for $400 (again at Talladega). If they ever do a Mustang run... I'm going to be hard pressed to say no.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 05/27/14 at 09:06:12

Yeah, that looks like a whole lot of fun.  Posts some pics if you got any.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/27/14 at 09:18:21

My wife took some photos....I will get them loaded tonight.

Serowbot.....I was sure I was gonna stuff the car into something....the instructor just kept giving me the "thumbs up" for me to keep my foot mashed down harder and longer.  As fast as it looks while watching the cars.....it feels 4 times faster when you are strapped into the darn thing!  I was tempted just to forget about steering into the corner as it was not going around the turn anyhow as those speeds.....I might as well use my hands and arms to brace for the impact!

And.....chances are that my speeds were the kind that would have gotten me lapped almost instantly in a real race!  I need to see what the real lap times are a the Kentucky Speedway.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/27/14 at 09:26:20

My brother was a mechanic for a school at Irwindale raceway.
I got a family discount on a 10 lap for about $90 w/o insurance.
Sounds like you had a great time with an instructor coaching you to go faster, most of what I seen at my session, only coaching done was to keep people off the wall or prodding them to go faster while the instructor walked beside them.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/27/14 at 09:29:09

Google says 29.4 seconds... 183 mph average... Shocked...

Qualifying,.. Earnhardt Jr....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/27/14 at 09:34:26

Serowbot wrote on 05/27/14 at 09:29:09:
Google says 29.4 seconds... 183 mph average... Shocked...

Yikes!  My best lap ws 42.87 seconds and 125.96 mph average.  If I had been in that record setting car......I would still be rolled up in a ball talking to myself!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/27/14 at 09:36:23

Embarrassing stain in my race suit...  Embarrassed...
Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/27/14 at 09:51:22

Serowbot wrote on 05/27/14 at 09:36:23:
Embarrassing stain in my race suit...  Embarrassed...Grin Grin Grin...

Next time tell dale to keep the lid on the 'dew    Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/27/14 at 10:23:04

I figure I hit about 132 on a road in Arkansas when I was about 20. Ive never wanted to go that fast again. The ditch came in , the road got very narrow. I pulled over so the stripes were passing under me, so I knew I was on the road. Scared the living POO outta me,, It was a 67 Chevy with a 327 & Rochester Quadrajet Id tuned & tuned,, not jetting, just getting it working right,,rebuilt, etc.. Boy that thing ran,, ANd I had proven at 70 on the dash I was actually running 77, so, I had a 10% error there,, was that error larger at higher speeds? I dunno,, but when I got to 120 on the dash, I was looking out at a very scary world..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/27/14 at 11:12:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/27/14 at 10:23:04:
I figure I hit about 132 on a road in Arkansas when I was about 20. Ive never wanted to go that fast again.

Before this I was never above 125 that I can recall....and at the track on Sunday that was probably the speed I was going when I turned the steering wheel left!  It was a big surprise to find out the car could do that!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/27/14 at 11:56:57

Imagine your "surprise" if it hadnt been up to the task,,,
OHHH POO!

& I had scouted the road & run it up & down to make sure I had room to make that run up & back down without NEEDING to turn the wheel. That road was straight as a string for almost 3 miles,, & I came into the straight run hitting 70+.. I knew I was okay at that speed,,
& Congrats on being able to take such a ride,, I Would take up such a deal, considering the width of that "road" & if I had someone to follow I could focus on I think I could deal with the tunnel vision thing okay,,
Id drop the $$$ & take that chance,,to find out,, I know I am a good driver, as far as putting a car where I want it. I can change lanes & not hit the bumpies on the lines & I can clip cans in the road. I shot a stick across a road at a jakass on a bike who was stupid enough to harass a guy in a car,,He backed Right off after that,
I think being able to clip things in the road is good, If I know so closely where the tires are & I see a pothole I can "Juuust miss it" at speed & not be forced to jerk the wheel hard. It makes picking my way down a rough road better & it sure makes staying on my side on a narrow road in a curve a lot easier. I see people on the wrong side of the road out here all the time. Why I havent seen a head on in the last 7 years amazes me.. I have seen One overcorrection that put a gal in the ditch,, My wife told me she had seen the pink haired girl on the wrong side of the road herself,, Her VeeDub sustained a bruised LF , so maybe there was a bit of a crash, but considering the prevalent ( apparent) attitude of so many drivers out here of "Im out in the boonies, no one is on this road" in spite of the fact that oil field trucks run that road & it is The main artery for hundreds of households to get to town & back home & in spite of the number of times they must see people going the other way ( I sure do, why dont they?) they drive as if since there is no centerline, there are no rules,.. Well, even IF there are no rules, there are still things to run into & get hurt or hurt someone,, I saw a dumptruck roar thru that curve the other day, he was going at it hard enough I could see the sidewall in his LR tire leaning from the G forces,, & NO he wasnt on his side,, Ive nearly been clobbered there several times. Ive run people down & chewed them out,, Driving isnt just sitting behind a wheel & staying between the ditches, it controlling the cars position & speed on the road with precision, adjusting for conditions.. IM sick of crappy drivers,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/27/14 at 12:05:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/27/14 at 11:56:57:
Imagine your "surprise" if it hadnt been up to the task,,,
OHHH POO!

I put a lot of faith in the instructor knowing what the car was capable of doing.....He most likely would have hit the wall a split second before I did!

It was a bit strange going into warp drive.........just because this stranger in the car kept giving me the "Thumbs Up" sign!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:25:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dale Jarrett Racing Experience

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.