Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dumped It :-( (Read 121 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Dumped It :-(
05/22/14 at 18:36:09

First, I pulled off the highway and almost dumped it in some loose gravel.

A few minutes later, I pulled off the highway again and almost dumped it in some loose gravel.

Then I went home and turned around in my gravel driveway.  Then I hit a big piece of crushed concrete embedded in my driveway and my momentum was lost and the front tire got twisted offline and I had to goose it to stay upright, but that caused me to enter the street at the wrong angle and speed and I dumped it on the asphalt trying to turn.  

Pinned my leg but I'm OK.  

Some very small scratches on the bike and a loose highway peg.  The brake handle might be a tad loose.  Other than that, the bike seems OK.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Re: Dumped It :-(
Reply #1 - 05/22/14 at 18:42:19

Take it easy good man. Going down sucks. Glad to know you're ok. I almost dumped my bike on a group ride last summer. Hit gravel at low speed turning onto a side road. Losing stability is unnerving to say the least. Take care.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 05/22/14 at 19:07:31

gravel's tricky sometimes.  glad you're ok,

slow is harder than fast.   spend some time practicing slow in a parking lot or something.  

i reccomend reading "proficient motorcycling" by david hough and "total control" by lee parks.  -check your local library

in PA there is a "free" MC training cvourse thru the DMV - see if you can find something like that

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/22/14 at 19:42:46

Gravel is for ATV's and dirt bikes. I've almost lost mine a couple times in loose stuff. I REALLY watch out for it now and avoid it at all costs. Glad yer OK!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 05/22/14 at 20:05:41

Chalk it up as learning experience number one.  There might be a two or three, but then again, there might not.

Good to hear you made it out ok, and with little to no damage...

We live and learn....even after riding for 40 years... we live and learn...

Ride safe...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/22/14 at 22:20:18

but that caused me to enter the street at the wrong angle and speed and I dumped it on the asphalt trying to turn.  

Okay,, youll "replay" this even in your mind & analyze it & look for "That Moment" when you could have won it,, Hopefully youll find one, or two,, & youll learn something from it,, You MAY learn that trying too hard to NOT drop a bike opens you up to a harder crash,,What woulda happened if "I re-entered the street" would have been at the same moment a car came by? No one wants to drop the bike, but sometimes a guy can lay one down & be standing up. Ive done that,, Its not "Okay, you dropped it, hand in your man card".. Just try to keep things in perspective,, the bike will fix,, or replace,, dont get hurt trying to avoid a busted turn signal,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 05/24/14 at 04:59:41

The loose stuff is the worst, glad you are ok and since you are brave enough to share the experience with us I'm sure you will learn from it.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/24/14 at 16:43:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/14 at 22:20:18:
Its not "Okay, you dropped it, hand in your man card"..

And...ihasabike won't be asked to turn in her "woman" card.....either.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/24/14 at 19:35:20

Eaux,, well,, I do say,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/24/14 at 22:04:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/24/14 at 19:35:20:
Eaux,, well,, I do say,,

...extracting foot from mouth... Grin...

Drops,... are a right of passage...
You're one step to closer to being a "biker"...

We all, spill our coffee on occasion...
It just gets funnier, and less traumatic, with time... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/24/14 at 22:08:37

Ya know,, shes not sposed to be carryin a man card, anyhow,, soo,, well,,
uhh, YEA! So there!

Aint no gettin that foot outta there,, whats done is done,, Smiley

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 05/25/14 at 08:45:51

It's something that happens to us all at some time.  I'm glad to hear that neither you nor the bike were seriously hurt.  That loose stuff is always hard to deal with.

I was told years ago by a trainer...'If you're gonna go down, let the bike take the beating, it hurts a lot less'  I believe that was not long after I went down turning into a parking lot through a sidewalk entrance in a downpour. My tires at the tiime were less than great.

Always keep good tires on your bike.  They really do help a lot.

I ridden in lots of sand and gravel. If you know it's there, take it nice and easy. If you just hit it, no sudden control inputs, braking, throttle, etc. Once it breaks loose, it doesn't want to stick again until you get out of it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/25/14 at 09:52:10

I found myself on a road that went from asphalt to gravel,, I could see it was a dead end  & I needed to turn around,, I was still pretty green,
I got it slowed way on down,, & as I was turning pretty short I decided Id just take that moment to practice the "feet up" thing.. I put ONE finger on the front brake & just barely squoze..  My feet were still on the pegs when we ground to a halt.. Hands on the bars, feet on the pegs, layin on my side, wonderin Whut the Hayull Wuz THAT?!? Took some jackin to get the bike rideable enough for the trip home. I was in Hot Springs Arkansas & we live in Longview Texas, & the handlebars werent pointed right & stuff was busted & hanging off the front,, & I wasnt even goin 10 MPH.. 32feet/sec/sec,, thats the acceleration rate of gravity. 3 feet doesnt take very dang long,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:33:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dumped It :-(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.