Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A question of priorities (Read 195 times)
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

A question of priorities
05/21/14 at 23:37:27

To start off, I'm really liking this bike.  It's slender, lightweight, and waaaaay more nimble than my sport bike friends thought it would be.  It's insured, registered, inspected, and it's been looked over by a professional mechanic to ensure it doesn't just fly apart at 70mph like my old Chinese scooter did.  It's running strong.  I've been riding it to work and back, and it hasn't given me any trouble that I didn't give it first.  But now that I'm putting it to use, I've realized that I'm missing a few things I need.

I need safety gear.  I've got gloves, boots, and a helmet that's probably purely decorative, but I need pants and a jacket of some sort.

I need a shorter, flatter handlebar and... whatever all those switches are called, particularly the left hand controls. The handlebar on there now feels like I'm wrestling a longhorn down the road.  The blinker switch doesn't return to center so I end up always indicating in one direction or other.

I need a speedo on the handlebar.  I don't like taking my eyes so far off the road to see how fast I'm going, or to see if my blinker is still blinking.

I need a windscreen.  At speed the gusting wind we get here in Austin feels like it's going to yank me off the bike.  By big 2XL non-motorcycling jacket doesn't help.

I need to make the bike fit me.  The front end needs to come up a couple of inches, I need extended forward controls, and something must be done about this seat.

I have threads for how to do these things bookmarked.  My question is what should I do first?  For instance, an aerodynamic jacket could alleviate my wind problem as much as a windscreen, but summer is coming up and there's a pretty good chance I'd risk the road rash on a 100+ degree summer day even if I had a jacket.  Or should I focus on fitting the bike to my shape first?  If I need to downshift in a hurry and can't because I have to physically lift my foot up on the lever I could develop a need for an armored jacket real quick, whether I have one or not.  Or that handlebar could pin my knee to the tank and ruin my day.  

I don't even have a budget, here.  I went overbudget the day I bought this thing.  Whatever happens next will happen one piece at a time and a couple of paychecks apart, unless I can scavenge what I need, so I need to prioritize.  As experienced motorcyclists, if you had to piecemeal like I do, what would you do first?

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A question of priorities
Reply #1 - 05/22/14 at 07:35:26

let's take a look at the beast...

With these long risers you can strap anything to 'm and get some protection.  I got 1 of those freebee travel bags and straped it to the bars before I put the flyscreen on and almost thought that was enough for me... but I'm not 6'3" but even a m/c jacket open in front for ventilation will feel like your pulling a parachute.  If you're gonna wear a jacket in the heat, it needs to be mesh.  As far a pants goes, you can wear 2 pairs of levis for a while.  Find a pair that fits over what you normally wear.  If you can get a pair of those fire hose pants... even better.

Handlebars are probably your next cheapest mod, check with your friends.  You're probably want 30" wide... try a broomstick bar.  you need 1" diameter.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 05/22/14 at 13:53:39

First I would say, you need to find a motorcycle junk yard nearest to you.  Some of them let you take the stuff off you want and are fairly cheap, vrs. one that does all the removal and charges extra for labor.

Craigslist...ebay...  good tools to use.

I have found tons of stuff on craigslist and cheap to boot...folks usually just want to get rid of the stuff they have and will settle for less just to get it out of the garage/shed.

Also, go to a few poker runs.... you can find all kinds of scooter trash there and some are really good folks, a few could point you to someone who has a few items for sale.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/22/14 at 14:55:42

iamgodzi1la wrote on 05/21/14 at 23:37:27:
and something must be done about this seat.

I bought an Airhawk seat (the one for medium cruisers). It straps to your stock seat.  Much more comfortable. I'm looking forward to a long ride now...

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 05/22/14 at 18:46:20

So first find a pick & pull.  I know of one in Dallas.  The google says there was one in Austin but they've been gone a while.  I'm sure I can find something, though.  If not, my family is near Dallas.  I can make a road trip.

I didn't even think of trying to strap on a homemade deflector.  If I can just get some of that wind off my chest I'll be a lot happier.  I could maybe even zip-tie a frisbee on there and get some relief.  I can adjust the brake pedal and I think the shift lever, too, so they'll at least work with my feet for a little while.  I can play around with those this weekend for free.

Assuming that works out, it'll free up funds for some armor.  I don't know how much armor cruiser riders usually wear, but I've got plates and screws in me from falling off a pedal bike at about 12 mph, so I want something on me when I'm moving at highway speeds for sure.  I'd wear one of those bear-proof suits if I could get one.

Project Grizzly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLUdtF7aG7o

Thanks for the advice.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 05/22/14 at 20:08:38

Frisbee?   make sure you get the big one, and paint it red and blue with a big ol' star in the middle...

Custom baaybeee !!!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 05/22/14 at 20:31:48

I bet I can find that frisbee.  My wife said I should go to a toy store and get a Captain America shield.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/22/14 at 20:35:00

The Jacket and stuff are the most important and look on the roadside for discarded high vis vests, or if the budget stretches get one at a safety gear shop.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/23/14 at 17:52:00

iamgodzi1la wrote on 05/22/14 at 20:31:48:
I bet I can find that frisbee.  My wife said I should go to a toy store and get a Captain America shield.

That was my first thought; hit Wally-world for it; besides, it has the COOL FACTOR going for it too !!!   Wink  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/23/14 at 22:54:11

If it w3as a rat bike you could use a small trash can lid & some rattle cans,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/23/14 at 23:31:21

Turn signal switch has a center button, tap it to return to center.

You want a set of narrow drag bars? Cover the shipping if I remember to put my return address on the package.  Wink They are off a Sportster, year unknown. They came with the riser set I added to my 98 LS650 and I was going to make jug line weighs out of the bar after I got around to chopping it up.... I like wide bars or high bars or high/wide bars, more control.

PM me if you want to try the handlebar. Also have a stock take off buckhorn bar. That bar you'd have to pay for... takes a box instead of a tube to mail it. Oh, also have some spare aluminum bushing stock you can make seat risers out of, can toss those in cheap (free).

I'd guess to ship both handlebars and the bushings would run between $10 and $15. Drag bar and bushings probably $5 to $8.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 05/26/14 at 04:49:08

iamgodzi1la wrote on 05/21/14 at 23:37:27:
To start off, I'm really liking this bike.  It's slender, lightweight, and waaaaay more nimble than my sport bike friends thought it would be.  It's insured, registered, inspected, and it's been looked over by a professional mechanic to ensure it doesn't just fly apart at 70mph like my old Chinese scooter did.  It's running strong.  I've been riding it to work and back, and it hasn't given me any trouble that I didn't give it first.  But now that I'm putting it to use, I've realized that I'm missing a few things I need.

I need safety gear.  I've got gloves, boots, and a helmet that's probably purely decorative, but I need pants and a jacket of some sort.
I need a shorter, flatter handlebar and... whatever all those switches are called, particularly the left hand controls. The handlebar on there now feels like I'm wrestling a longhorn down the road.  The blinker switch doesn't return to center so I end up always indicating in one direction or other.

I need a speedo on the handlebar.  I don't like taking my eyes so far off the road to see how fast I'm going, or to see if my blinker is still blinking.

I need a windscreen.  At speed the gusting wind we get here in Austin feels like it's going to yank me off the bike.  By big 2XL non-motorcycling jacket doesn't help.

I need to make the bike fit me.  The front end needs to come up a couple of inches, I need extended forward controls, and something must be done about this seat.

I have threads for how to do these things bookmarked.  My question is what should I do first?  For instance, an aerodynamic jacket could alleviate my wind problem as much as a windscreen, but summer is coming up and there's a pretty good chance I'd risk the road rash on a 100+ degree summer day even if I had a jacket.  Or should I focus on fitting the bike to my shape first?  If I need to downshift in a hurry and can't because I have to physically lift my foot up on the lever I could develop a need for an armored jacket real quick, whether I have one or not.  Or that handlebar could pin my knee to the tank and ruin my day.  

I don't even have a budget, here.  I went overbudget the day I bought this thing.  Whatever happens next will happen one piece at a time and a couple of paychecks apart, unless I can scavenge what I need, so I need to prioritize.  As experienced motorcyclists, if you had to piecemeal like I do, what would you do first?

Hi Godzilla, MPesc here from Rome, Italy.  Smiley

I honestly can't mail you anything from here, waaay too expensive!
(I could fax it...  Grin )

Advice from experience, however, is free  Cool so here goes.

0. HELMET !!! I put this in at #0 because it's far too important not to have it at the top of the list. I ride with a FF helmet, flip-up chinpiece.
Pictured: my flip-up helmet and "not-me-supermodel" on my "other" bike" (no, really, that's really my other bike!  Cheesy )

They're great for the winter, keep the cold and the rain and the wind off your face BUT you can actually talk to people!
Make sure it comes with a built-in "flip-down" sun visor - beats sunglasses by far!

1. Gloves: for the winter, thick tough LEATHER gloves. Silk/synthetic liners if it's really cold; for the summer, thin lightweight LEATHER gloves.
Forget all that "Mad max armored padded" synthetic stuff, it won't protect you when you fall and drag your hands on rough hot asphalt the way leather does.
I've seen bits of fingers literally torn off people's hands when the synthetic gloves ruptured at the seams  Tongue
Leather won't do that. That's why the good Lord gave us skin instead of linoleum... Wink

2. Jacket: for the winter, a THICK armored jacket with elbow, shoulder and backplate inserts.
Waterproof. The really good ones have a zip-off internal vest for when it's really cold or getting warmer.
Pants: Jeans look nice and tough etc., but they are the #1 cause for road rash when the fabric doesn't rupture, they are tough allright, but very coarse; a set of riding pants (or chaps) may be an option. If all else fails, #30+ denim (Levi's 501 are around #16 I think)

3. You need dragbars; the stock dragbars are almost straight, 1" diameter, and about 22" long (wide) - I changed them to 32" dragbars, excellent.

Old bars

New bars

Can't see much, pic wasn't intended to show handlebars, hope it helps

4. Speedo: ideally speedo and tacho go hand in hand. Here's my setup

Unfortunately, while the tacho works OK, the speedo underreads by a good 10%  Embarrassed so it's a no-go, I reverted back to the tank-mounted OEM unit. Still... you can experiment.
You'll need a Suzuki GS/GT tachometer cable for the bar-mounted speedo.

5. Windshield: you need something that'll get the wind off your chest, not the view away from your eyes; get something NOT too wide, and not any taller than your own shoulders.
That way you'll still have best visibility AND minimal buffeting. Anyway, I personally almost never cruise any faster than 90Km/h(55mph) for fuel economy...

6. Fit the bike ? OK, I understand your pain, but you didn't buy a tall enduro to begin with...  Roll Eyes
Have the front fork checked over and see if you couldn't use stiffer springs, thicker fork oil and new seals.
THEN...
carry out all the seat mods you like.
As for the foot controls, I understand you may not like the seating position, but forward controls are required only if your knees stick out like  you were doing squats !  Cheesy

7. Priorities ? My grandpappy and yours have most probably both been riding with zero wind protection (windshield) but they all had a jacket, gloves and helmet of some sort.

My suggestion is to prioritize as follows:

A. HELMET - A GOOD helmet can and will save your life.

B. JACKET&GLOVES - It's better to roll and get up, than to smear the road

B2. PANTS - often the best advoce on fitting is c/o the same good quality store where you buy jacket, gloves and helmet.
Visit a few and do business with the one who give you the best advice, regardless on price.

C. Windshield and speedo/tacho: a good SMALL windshield+the two gauges is less than $200

D. Fit.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 05/26/14 at 09:40:25

Some excellent advice, mpescatori; just what I was looking for.  Good looking bike, too.  

WD, I just might take you up on those drag bars, but I need to get another paycheck in the bank first.  I have $20 to my name, and the M endorsement costs, like, $15.  The turn signal switch on my bike is some crappy plastic replacement.  It doesn't have the button to return to center, and pressing the switch itself doesn't work, either.  Even the signals only work when they want to, and I think I want to replace the whole system, eventually, with some LED signals and controls that illuminate.

No frisbee/Captain America shield/trashcan lid, yet.  I took the MSF course all weekend, and then slept for 14 hours straight, and now it's storming, so all I got to do to my bike this weekend was adjust the height of the shift lever.  When I got the height just where I wanted it the rod fell out, so I'll have to compromise with some boots that have a smaller toebox than these combats I've been wearing.  After the way I made that tiny Kawasaki dance at the MSF course I think I can live with the footpegs where they are for now...  Is that a tornado outside..?  It's really blowing out there.  Anyway, I get a 15% discount from Cycle Gear for completing the course, so gear just became that much more obtainable.  I've even picked out the stuff I want.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 05/27/14 at 05:43:50

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/27/14 at 10:03:21

Don't rule out used gear if that is all you can afford.  There are some great deals on Craigslist...some folks got the wrong size, some folks quit riding, some just don't wear gear......some is close out items from stores that went out of business. Some of it is new or nearly new.  The only problem is knowing what fits without chasing stuff all over the place.  In a store....you can try on several different sized.  I thought I had a head that required a "large" helmet....I just bought a Scorpion helmet and it took a XXL to fit my head!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:32:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › A question of priorities

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.