Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Made in Transilvania, the rebuild of a 1992 Savage (Read 464 times)
paulmocan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transilvania
Made in Transilvania, the rebuild of a 1992 Savage
02/16/14 at 02:00:22

I've been part of this forum for a while now and love it. I would like to start by thanking the people who started this website, because if you need to know anything about this bike, you find it here. Thanks.

I bought this 1992 bike in february 2011 for about 1780$, and loved it. The price may seem a bit high, compared to the prices you have, but here it is an OK price. It already had some custom parts on it as seen in the pic. The bike had saddle bags, but I removed them.
After a while I started working on it, and made some small mods. I removed the licence plate bracket/fender, and made a vertical one, bolted to the rear fender. Here is a picture.

This is the background of the bike.
Constantly looking at other bikes, I started thinking of how I can modify it to look better. I was contamplating with the Ryca CS-1 build, but it is hard/expensive to get the parts here (Romania). Looking around for some custom savage's, I came across this bike and it just made sense.

So I decided to start taking my bike apart.

After removing the rear seat and the rear fender, I went ahead to remove the battery and the airbox. I will go for a K&N RC-2880 air filter.
This is a picture of the progress.

I ordered a black dragbar, and I'm planning on getting some black bar end mirrors.
Not having time to work in the workshop, I started sketching the seat. I use google sketch-up on a daily basis, so here goes the 3D. I started with some measurements on the chasis, and then overlaying them on the actual picture.
After that some drawing, and this is how far I got so far. I plan on working on this design more, and cut these "ribs" out to make a full size mockup. After I have that I will think on where to go next.

So? What say you? Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Made in Transilvania, the rebuild of a 1992 Sa
Reply #1 - 02/16/14 at 06:41:45

I like what you are going for...
Keep sending the pics as it progresses...

I think you are the first Transylvanian member...
Cool!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 02/16/14 at 13:45:31

Should look good. I like the seat style. Are you planning to lengthen the swingarm like the sled in the third pic?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/16/14 at 14:14:34

Very cool Paul, keep us posted!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paulmocan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transilvania
Reply #4 - 02/16/14 at 14:16:35

gizzo wrote on 02/16/14 at 13:45:31:
Should look good. I like the seat style. Are you planning to lengthen the swingarm like the sled in the third pic?

I hope the seat will be the "piece de resistance", but will know more later this week, after I have time to build the mockup.
Do you think the swingarm was lengthened? From my measurement, based on pictures, it should be the exact same length as the stock one.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 02/16/14 at 20:10:53

Looks like the front tire is taller, making It look like the front is longer.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
PinkHelmet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mangalia, Romania, Europe.
Reply #6 - 02/17/14 at 11:34:19

Faină idee! (Nice idea!)

In case you'll want to change your rear wheel to a taller one you should know that I've put on mine up to 120/90-17 without anything touching.

IMG_20140108_112505.jpg

Out of my mind. Back in 5'...
rusuac   IP Logged
paulmocan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transilvania
Reply #7 - 03/04/14 at 21:52:58

I just have to say that, Time just flies by.
I have a lot to do, considering that the riding season is right around the corner. I plan to get the bike done in the next 3-4 weeks. What gets done, great, all the rest must wait.
So, last week I took it apart all the way. Right now it is just the frame, the engine and the loom. Since I took the picture, I removed the rear wheel also.

There have been some speed bumps along the way. While I took it apart, two things stood out, the cam chain needs to be replaced, and the front fork inner tubes had to be sent to be straighten. (it seems that they bent sometime last year, when I let a friend ride it, and he crashed it. It was not that bad, and the bend wasn't visible until I took it apart.)
Here is a box with most of the 'big' parts, and all the nuts and bolts are in jars.

Now, my plan is to powdercoat a couple of things. Here is a picture of the parts.

I want to get the rear springs painted black, leaving the rest of the shock chrome. I want to get the front lower fork and the bottom part of the triple tree, the engine covers (I don't think I will put them back, but I might just as well have them black), the turn signal brackets and the rims.

I have been following a thread about sand blasting and powder coating laced rims, but I didn't find a straight answer. Did anybody do it? How did It turn out?

If you have suggestions about the parts that I want to get powder coated, or any other part of the build, please shoot. This is my PLAN, but plans can change.
Please advise.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 03/05/14 at 19:42:29

I LOVE that big front tire! Obviously not stock. Any idea what it is and if it is a straight swap with the forks?

IP Logged
paulmocan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transilvania
Reply #9 - 03/06/14 at 09:10:23

I have no idea what the front tire on that bike is. I plan on getting a stock, on mine.
Today I made a bit of progress with the brake rotor. I plan on drilling it. I came up with a template and I will take it tomorrow to a shop to get it drilled. I started a new post on the Technical Documents section with details and link for download.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1394125675/0#0

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/06/14 at 09:28:55

looks pretty close to the pattern I do.
3/16" holes?

Most say to leave the edges square, but you do need to deburr and remove any raised edges.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmocan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transilvania
Reply #11 - 03/06/14 at 09:30:56

my intention is to remove the small raised edge on the outside of the rotor, and by doing so get a clean deburr on it.

IP Logged
Gheorghe

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/25/14 at 05:53:21

Nice bike and nice idea. Definitely de-burr the holes in the rotor. I am actually in the process of doing this on my RYCA right now. Also, if you really want to improve the front brake, look into a steel braided brake line to replace the rubber stock one.

Ma bucur sa var alti romani pe situl asta. Succes la construit!

IP Logged
paulmocan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transilvania
Reply #13 - 03/26/14 at 14:26:03

verslagen1 wrote on 03/06/14 at 09:28:55:
looks pretty close to the pattern I do.
3/16" holes?

Actually the holes are 6mm in diameter.
I would like to apologise, for using something similar to your pattern, without asking you first. I hope I didn't offend you, or affect your operation. I posted a template in the Technical part, but I can take it down. I just wanted to share my experience. Here, in Romania / Transilvania / Cluj is very hard to get this kind of things done. If I was in the states I might have went your way, and have you drill the rotor. Here, you have to know a guy who knows a guy who has a guy who works in a factory, to get it done right.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/26/14 at 14:36:49

paulmocan wrote on 03/26/14 at 14:26:03:
I would like to apologise, for using something similar to your pattern, without asking you first. I hope I didn't offend you, or affect your operation. I posted a template in the Technical part, but I can take it down.

no need, you developed the pattern on your own, so did I and it's similar to many factory patterns.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:59:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Made in Transilvania, the rebuild of a 1992 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.