Ignition switch swap? (Read 395 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Ignition switch swap?
12/04/13 at 15:38:33

I lost my only ignition key to my 2005. The local locksmiths want 185.00 to make a key.  I found a 2001 set, ignition, keys and gas cap for 50.00. Are the 2001 and 2005 set ups interchangeable?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Ignition switch swap?
Reply #1 - 12/04/13 at 16:36:11

Wow!  What a ripoff.  

I just had a key made for my new to me car.  Took them the lock cylinder.  Cost $28.50.

If I remember, the lock cyl isn't all that hard to get out of the gas cap.  Assuming you have it off. If not, how you gonna get it off for the new cap to go on?

Take the switch off and get down to the lock cylinder.  Just take them that.  It shouldn't be all that expensive.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 12/04/13 at 19:00:22

Yeah, I called two locksmiths and if they come to me it's 190.00-225.00, if I take the bike or ignition and cap to them it's 85.00-125.00.  I need to take both since the gas cap and ignition use the same key but they need both to configure the key for some reason. So I can't get the gas cap off without the key to take it to them, so I'm stuck with them having to come to my house it looks like. So I found the complete set, ignition, cap and keys on eBay. I just need to know if the wiring for the ignition wiring harness pigtail is the same for both the 2001 and 2005.  They've got you when you don't have your ride.

The other option I'd go for is doing a rewire and put in a hidden ignition bypass toggle switch that would run the starter, lights and stuff if someone has done something like that. I did that on an old truck I had when the ignition went out.   I'm not an electrical guy so I don't want to try to wire something like that up without someone drawing me a picture.  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/04/13 at 19:30:11

I think they're the same for all years

at least an '88 swapped with an '02 with no problem.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 12/04/13 at 20:56:59

Thanks!  I figured even if the plugin was different it's only 4 wires and I could make something up.  Much appreciated.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/04/13 at 21:35:56

You can always hotwire...
4 wires...  1 is hot, 1 goes to everything except the tailight,... 1 goes to the tailight... (I forget the 4 wire... ground?)...

Anywhooo.... connect the tail and the everything, and put a switch to the hot, and gut the tumblers in the gas-cap, and go commando...
Probably more theft-proof than stock... (I've thought about it myself,.. 'cause I hate carrying keys)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/04/13 at 22:22:46

Serowbot wrote on 12/04/13 at 21:35:56:
(I forget the 4 wire... ground?)

BOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA BRAP

You are an evil man   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/04/13 at 22:54:43

You only had ONE key & didnt realize the need to get a copy?

Ill bet you never step on that sand trap rake again,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 12/05/13 at 06:36:55

Yeah... one key but I didn't think I'd lose it THAT fast before I could get a copy... UGH!

So, seriously... I'm totally up with doing a hidden toggle. Can someone sketch out a diagram of which wires got to a switch and which one to leave grounded?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/05/13 at 06:52:02

Doesn't suzukin do like car manufactures and the vin code tell them the tumbler set that was on the bike? or did they dump older than 10 year bikes?
Just askin' cause I don't know.
I'd call the nearest dealership.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 12/05/13 at 07:02:29

I asked about that and both locksmiths said they couldn't do it off a VIN for a Savage.  I'm going to try the dealer today, but I have a feeling it ain't gonna be cheap even if they can do it.  Fishing around google a couple people said there is a "key number" that you get with the bike and without that they can't make a key. I know it's like that for a lot of cars and trucks.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 12/05/13 at 07:08:36

Dealer should be able to give you the tumbler numbers...its then just a matter of getting a key blank and then taking that to a lock smith.
They are going to do the same thing... unless they like taking apart electronic stuff (the switch) and can guarantee they won't mess it up.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 12/05/13 at 07:13:23

I'll let everyone know what I find out from the dealer. I'm sure I won't be the last person who loses a key.  But then again... no one else has ever posted anything about losing a key.... Hm.  Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/05/13 at 07:32:15

S-P wrote on 12/05/13 at 07:02:29:
I asked about that and both locksmiths said they couldn't do it off a VIN for a Savage.  I'm going to try the dealer today, but I have a feeling it ain't gonna be cheap even if they can do it.  Fishing around google a couple people said there is a "key number" that you get with the bike and without that they can't make a key. I know it's like that for a lot of cars and trucks.

Look closely at your cylinder, some have a number stamped on them and some can make a key from that number.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/05/13 at 07:59:22

verslagen1 wrote on 12/04/13 at 22:22:46:
Serowbot wrote on 12/04/13 at 21:35:56:
(I forget the 4 wire... ground?)

BOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA BRAP

You are an evil man   Grin

I am a bit evil, aren't I?...
Looks like the forgotten wire (grey) goes to the license plate light...

Looks like... Orange/grey/brown on one side of the switch... red (12v hot) on the other...
(...but, I'd double check with a meter before flippin' da' switch)... Undecided...

Buhahahaha!..... Grin....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:31:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition switch swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.