S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ignition switch swap?
Reply #30 - 12/06/13 at 16:47:59

Badass94Cad wrote on 12/06/13 at 08:14:46:
I'm surprised by how expensive your key quotes have been.  When I bought my bike, I got it without keys.  I pulled the ignition switch and tank, brought them to a locksmith, and got new keyS (yes, I got spares too) cut in an afternoon, all for the paltry sum of like $25.  And this was in North Jersey, so it's not like I was in some cheap, backwoods neighborhood either!  Wink

I was pretty surprised at the quotes I got, but both places pretty much said the same thing about the key configs and process etc. and they were within 20-30.00 of each other. The dealer quoted me 15.00 with a key code, but no key code anywhere on the switch. I'm also tempted to go "redneck" and just drill out the lock and make it a screwdriver ignition. I'm not in panic mode to decide what to do because we're down to 50 degrees and I have the chain tensioner and starter limiter out and waiting on gaskets and a Raptor fuel thingy to arrive. I might check Bob's junkyard for an ignition set. They've done me pretty good so far on parts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 12/06/13 at 17:01:02

is there a black strip on the bottom?

might be under there.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #32 - 12/06/13 at 17:12:14

No black strip. I even removed the plastic piece from the back and looked inside the guts. I guess the figured no one smart enough to own a Savage would be dumb enough to only have one key.  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 12/06/13 at 17:16:13

there must of been a concern with some bikes that some one was getting keys made and they took the codes off.

if anyone currently has a key with a code on it, they should record that number just in case.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #34 - 12/06/13 at 17:25:19

OHOHOHOH!! There is a black strip but nothing under it. (Don't know how I missed it before...) But I looked at the black strip with a magnifying glass and it has some numbers embossed on it!  They are almost flattened out and I'm not sure I can read them, they're pretty worn off. I'll try some CSI stuff like maybe dust it with some graphite or cornstarch to see if I can get the impressions to stand out a little bit clearer.  Smiley

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #35 - 12/06/13 at 17:33:50

BINGO! A pencil flat across the face, a high power desk lamp, big magnifying glass and I got some numbers!  I'll call the dealer tomorrow with the numbers and see if they match a key code.  This is a letter and 4 digits, the locksmith said it would be a six digit number... we'll see.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 12/06/13 at 17:54:56

should be a letter and 5 digits, 6 all together.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #37 - 12/06/13 at 18:09:48

darn. I'm missing one digit. Back to CSI mode. I can see there was something there now. It's just really worn down. For 15 bucks it might be worth a good guess if I can get ANY decent part of that last digit to show up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 12/06/13 at 18:48:57

If thats a flat spot that you can press onto a flat spot, maybe taping paper to glass & dressing the plastic piece with some ink from a marker pen, then pressing gently onto the paper would give it you, bakkerds..
Just be gentle, no need to be mashing the evidence.

Ive got some of those lenses with a headband, like jewelers wear. Comes with a drop down loupe, for more manglefication. If ya dont have one,, ya need one. Hobby Lobby has them & theyre better than the Harbor Freight ones, but shop both & decide

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #39 - 12/06/13 at 20:51:06

Yeah I thought about the bakkerds trick too, but I have a pretty big magnifying glass.  I think I got an 80% good chance I got the last number right. It's either a zero or a 6 I think. It would be worth 30 bucks to get two keys made if one is wrong.  That's 150.00 less than a locksmith at this point.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 12/06/13 at 21:02:40

If it Could be a 0, or it could be a 6,, couldnt it also be an 8? Still,, be ahead if its $45.00.. Maybe you can get a volume discount? OR, Take the iggy switch in & let the smith stick the blank in & make a key..
I had a locksmith rescue me when I was 22.. only about 36 years ago,,
I left Thibodeaux La. for Odessa texas. Took a cab to the storage building I had my car in,, & SHAZZAM! I left the keys on my DRESSER!!  Sopo,, long about 2 AM I called a locksmith. He came out, I held the light, ( I SOOO Like holding the light!) & he stuck a key in the door & wiggled it, took it out, studied, filed, back in, more wiggling, more filing, finally, the door opened, then he did the same with the iggy,,
He told me usually charged a lot more, but that since I was so interested in how he was doin that & was kinda fun to help, he just took a crisp $20.00 bill & went his way..
Anyway,, seems a locksmith otta be able to build a key,,& if you can provide the code that lay out most of the profile,, well,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #41 - 12/07/13 at 16:55:50

Bingo. Got it right on the first try. 19.95 at the dealer for two keys. So, takeaway: have two keys and check out your black strip and write that number down somewhere safe.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #42 - 12/07/13 at 17:12:05

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 12/08/13 at 08:18:06

I just love happy endings.....as long a I don't have to sit through a Hallmark movie to see one!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 12/08/13 at 09:18:26

Well,, was it a 6 or a 0 or an 8?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition switch swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.