Send Topic Print
Ignition switch swap? (Read 395 times)
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Re: Ignition switch swap?
Reply #15 - 12/05/13 at 12:26:13

The dealers here in the Denver area have told me they cannot make a key from the vin #. They all refer you to one locksmith who does motorcycle keys. My '04 came without the steering lock key, when I went to the motorcycle locksmith he said he could make one, if I bring the
bike to him for something like $100, I bought a disc lock instead.
That doesn't solve your problem though, maybe if you shopped around for a better price having a key made would be the best solution.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/05/13 at 12:52:51

in case you couldn't find it in the tech section...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1150464511/0

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/05/13 at 13:18:56

Call a junk yard.. get a used iggy & keyS. PLease note Key is PLural.,

A toggle to turn on the power & a button to spin the starter.
I used a switch from the face of a CD player. Now, you know that thing was tiny. Almost NO current carrying capacity, Theres a wire on the decomp controller that fires off its timer , pulls the decomp solenoid & spins the starter. It will do just that even with the key in your pocket, or, wherever it may be hiding. I left it on a strip of circuit board & wrapped it in a coupla rubber glove fingers & tie wrapped it under the frame , under the right thigh. You push that button when its in gear & it WILL walk right off the stand, That bypasses every safety, So, with a good enough toggle & that, you can run it, Wont have "accessory" position,, but hey, thats only good for runnin a battery down anyway,, who needs it. ehh?

Theres an "always hot" red wire very close by, just a single red wire, under the seat. The wire on the decomp controller is ( IIRC) on the front & second from left, I wanna say theres a yellow stripe, bu8t its been years, so,, ehh,, IDK,, look at a diagram,,  be sure,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #18 - 12/05/13 at 13:32:44

Justin, it seems there would be a simpler wire-up that would just toggle all the system up and still be able to use the starter button on the grips. An auto buddy of mine said you can find a 4 wire ignition for old cars at AutoZone for under 10 bucks and probably wire something like that in. Sounds like there are options if someone isn't into "factory original".  I'm kinda in "commando mode" right now and whacking stuff off the bike anyway.  Cheesy

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #19 - 12/05/13 at 15:02:00

I checked on the back of the ignition switch and no numbers. There were 4 digits on the pigtail and 6 digits on a tag on the wiring under the seat but the dealer said those weren't valid key codes. So I'm back to either finding a junk yard part or wiring in a by-pass switch of some kind.

Yep, there are two brown wires, a gray wire, an orange and a red with a white stripe that is a heavier wire, probably the hot. I'm thinking snip all those and wire them to another hidden switch and leave the dead ignition switch as a dummy/decoy.

So it seems like I'd just wire all the brown, gray and orange together on one side of a switch and the red to the hot side, then plug the pigtail back into the harness.  I don't need "parking lights"/accessory mode, just everything that needs to be on when I'm riding to be on and that should do it.  Yes?

« Last Edit: 12/05/13 at 16:31:24 by S-P »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/05/13 at 15:13:53

if they are there, they're on the bottom of the ig switch housing (chrome part) as it is mounted.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #21 - 12/05/13 at 15:37:28

Definitely nothing on the ignition housing, inside or out. Bummer.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #22 - 12/05/13 at 20:01:00

I found buried in the 24th page of google search, a comment by someone about toggle switching a Suzuki GS550.  I googled the GS550 wiring diagram and the ignition switch schematic is exactly the same as the LS650. Yay so far.  The guy said put the red and orange together and the gray and brown together  (which matches up the ignition switch configuration for the ON position in the Clymer manual). The "PARK" position is red and brown together on the ignition switch configuration. SO... if I were to wire a toggle would I put the red and orange on one side of the switch and the gray and two brown wires on the other side?  Any takers?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 12/05/13 at 20:18:33

If that is the case, you'll need a double pole switch so that it can switch the red and orange together on one pole and the gray and brown together on the other pole.  The switch will have 4 wire connections on it.  2 on each side.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 12/06/13 at 05:54:48

Here is the link to the wiring diagrams in the Tech Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

This shows that in the RUN position of the ignition switch....the red wire is connected to the orange wire.....and the grey wire is connected to the brown wire.  You would therefore need a toggle switch with 4 connections and 2 seperate circuits built in.  Or you could have 2 switches and one would turn on the ignition circuit and the other would turn on the light circuit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #25 - 12/06/13 at 06:00:32

Here's a switch that'll work if it can handle the amp load.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Ignition-Switch-w-Keys-XL250-XL250S-XL500-XL500... It's $19.24 ships from Ohio.

Here's the wiring diagram for the bike http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2008/07/03/honda-xl250-wiring-diagram/

Here's a chinese one that will do the job.  It's $9.99 free shipping from china.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Ignition-Key-Switch-Chinese-ATV-QUAD-Go-K...

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #26 - 12/06/13 at 08:00:03

Thanks, guys!  I was looking at some of the replacement 4 wire switches. An auto-geek friend said a 4 wire car ignition switch could work too. They're under 10 bucks at Auto Zone.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #27 - 12/06/13 at 08:14:46

I'm surprised by how expensive your key quotes have been.  When I bought my bike, I got it without keys.  I pulled the ignition switch and tank, brought them to a locksmith, and got new keyS (yes, I got spares too) cut in an afternoon, all for the paltry sum of like $25.  And this was in North Jersey, so it's not like I was in some cheap, backwoods neighborhood either!  Wink

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 12/06/13 at 09:38:35

Grrr, argggg!...
I want to mount this switch on my bike... Huh...
$135 though... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maritime-ships-LARGE-solid-brass-General-Alarm-switch...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #29 - 12/06/13 at 16:24:27

serowbot, I would totally mount that on the side of my bike and put a kill switch someplace. That. Is. Awesome!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:12:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition switch swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.