Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A reliable paint shop in Puget Sound area (Read 53 times)
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A reliable paint shop in Puget Sound area
12/04/13 at 14:36:38

Have my Ryca build close to completion and was wondering if anyone
could recommend a good paint shop that specializes  in motorcycles.
Also what is a good price range to expect when having just the tank, side covers, front fender, and seat pan done?

Thanks for any input, really loving this website!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: A reliable paint shop in Puget Sound area
Reply #1 - 12/04/13 at 21:19:13

Ask your local bike shop... go where the crotch rocket squids take their bikes...
(they go through paint and filler like I go through taco's)... Grin...

Here,... I'd expect a good job for $400 to $500...
(I'm cheap... so I wouldn't pay that much,.. but, that amount should get a good one)...
Another idea.... find some classic car dudes, and bribe one that can paint... $100 to $200 plus beer... you help sand...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/05/13 at 03:59:33

You might also see if you have any high school vocational programs with body shops in your area.  This one may be a bit of a gamble....but hopefully the instructer keeps an eye on things.  I was probably a better painter at that age than I am now.......my eyes worked better!

You might also check your local Craigslist.  There is a fellow that advertises bike painting in the Cincinnati area Craigslist.

I am guessing in the $ 600 range if he has to do all the sanding, priming, etc.  The cost of materials has really increased.  Back in the 70's I could get a gallon of enamel for $ 25......now a pint is $ 60 and you need to buy an activator as well.  Reds and exotic pearls can be much higher.  The new base coat/clear coat paints are much better than enamels - but they are more expensive as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 12/05/13 at 06:43:09

Just a little on painting...

Do a good prep for the painter, strip it... don't prime it....or just strip the old paint layer off and old primer (unless you have a good eye and can see smoothness). If you try re-priming the paint, the primer chemical make-up might not match what the painter uses, so he/she will have to strip it anyway.
When talking to the painter about your bike ask him what kind of jobs he/she has done and do they have pics.... a really good painter will say...yeah I've taken a few pics but haven't really posted them (put them in a book). The ones that like to brag about their jobs usually don't like to paint a "plain" color and charge more. Oh and if their shops is a mess and they are only asking $100 bucks....walk away, more often than not you will get what you pay for...even if its ol' bob who has painted for years...the percentage of "clean vrs dirty" is on the clean side.
The high-school/tech-school is a good idea... lotsa those kids are there for a reason, they love painting, you might get a good custom job done on the cheap...at cost only, if its cost only ask how many kids helped, if it was only a couple tip them...make them want to do more.
Last but not least....don't forget the underside...always put a good road coating on the underside. Reguardless of if you are up north or down south a good undercoating will save a lot of cleaning and rusting later on down the line.
And that's my 3 cents.....  thanks for listening  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 12/05/13 at 09:46:32

PM inbound...

On 2 wheels since 7/87