Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What happens if the cam chain breaks? (Read 88 times)
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
What happens if the cam chain breaks?
12/01/13 at 12:21:19

Just finished the cam chain mod, but  feeling a litle concern about the risks if the chain breaks.
Total engine failure i guess, but will it bring the engine to a complete stop or just shut down? Just thinking, if it is a risk. Consider you driving a long fast curve and it breaks down.

bild_001.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What happens if the cam chain breaks?
Reply #1 - 12/01/13 at 12:36:53

2 risks
1.valves stop in the open position and the piston keeps going... crunch.
2.chain piles up and locks up the engine.

both cases will result in sudden wheel skid, but can be remedied with the clutch.

Or you could get lucky and it just quits on you.

I've only heard of 1 chain breaking.

WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 12/01/13 at 12:37:18

This question may be along the lines of what if the connecting rod breaks or what if the cylinder head cracks in half. If cam chain break often or any of these other issues happen with regukarity then the question becomes why ride motorcycles at all.

These chains stretch, which is the source of the need for the modified tensioner, but should not break until way past their serviceable(useful) life. The tensioner mod is a very economical safety item that allows you some time to replace a chain that evolves into an unserviceable state. I imagine if you drive the engine to the point that the chain breaks then no piece of equipment will protect the engine.

I think the cause of your question is derived from the knowledge that there is a weak link in the engine, the cam chain tensioner, and you logically ask the question what else is defective or suffers from faulty design. I, personally, am very confident that if or when I am approaching a catastrophic failure that the proactive steps I have taken will allow me plenty of time to take the appropriate corrective action.

Hope this alleviates some concern. Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #3 - 12/01/13 at 12:55:43

Thanks to both of you! Maybe iam a litle paranoid but it Feels better now Smiley Probably there is much more to wory about. But i think iam going to open the clutch cover after the first 3000 kilometers or something to check out the condition.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What happens if the cam chain breaks?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.